Formula 1 talk.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hello; Enough about Lewis. I heard the moderators talking about how great he has been. As can be seen now it was the cars he happened to be in that made the difference. Russell in a nearly identical car has been out doing him right along this year. Louis was better than Botas in the previous versions of the MB, but now Russell is the better suited to the new car. Put a number of drivers in a superior car and they can do just as well. Louis was very lucky to have had the seats he has over time. He made the switch to MB at just the right time a few years ago. Appears he will be the #2 driver behind Russell if things keep playing out as they have been so far. My unsupported guess is he will quit before becoming regularly referred to as a former champion.
Yes, I agree, enough from you about Lewis :giggle: :like: . Either you have a bug up your ass about him or have a total lack of knowledge about him. I agree about him having good fortune about moving to Mercedes and then having the best car. So what? There isn't a driver on the grid who doesn't agree about how great a "driver" Lewis is. There is also no champion who hasn't had a great car.

There is also no doubt that the new crop of drivers are fantastic. Max, George, Charles, Carlos, and others. I look forward to seeing them battle one another for future championships. But I also do not believe that Lewis is going anywhere. Leave that for the famous British tabloids. Mercedes will get a handle on their car, eventually and we will see what happens when they do. For Now I'm rooting for Checo. Always liked him and thought he was/is a class act.

About the harsh ride. From what I can tell MB is trying to get some modification of the rules. That being since they cannot fix the cars under the budget caps, they may be trying to get some sort of ride height rule applied to all cars. That has been a theme. This bouncy ride is hard on our drivers back so everybody needs to raise the ride height. It is my understanding they can raise the ride height any time they wish already to protect the drivers, but will be even slower.
You are correct here. Anytime any team is at a disadvantage they are going to complain. Mercedes just has need to do it in the current era. F1 is as much about politics as it is about racing. Even Horner said he would be doing the same thing if the shoe were on the other foot.

I have a question or two. I get the battery power unit is a sort of nod to the green/woke. My question is maybe two parts. What percentage of the pace can be attributed to the battery unit compared to the ICE engine? I get that the battery can be partly recharged by braking but am not sure if they use ICE energy also. So, the complexity of that power unit along with the added weight ought to be a detriment unless somehow the power is significant.

I can see how a spurt of power from the battery helps at times and is perhaps the second part of my question. I gather the driver gets to pick the place to use the power to perhaps either help pass or defend. I still do not see the benefit of that complicated power unit in an all out race. My guess is a pure ICE would be quicker and maybe more reliable. They do a "push to pass" thing in INDY cars. One last thing. Is the battery sort of like a capacitor or a regular battery?
It's an involved process. Best to read about yourself.

What Is ERS In F1? (How The MGU-H & MGU-K Work)
https://flowracers.com/blog/ers-f1-how-mgu-h-mgu-k-work/
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Make no mistake, Hamilton is headed out the door. He’s looking for an exit strategy and it’s starting. It was said Ferarri is imploding. I don’t think that’s the case. Binatti has made no bones how strong he thinks Redbull is. I think Ferarri is trying to keep that performance at a high less reliable level to compete. One thing this year has shown is getting pole is no indication of race pace nor is it essential in attaining a win. Checo is doing well but he’s just not at the same level and pace Verstappen is. The championship is headed to be decided by the Redbull team mates. Hopefully we’ll get some good racing. The whole cost cap is nothing more then a distraction and I bet we see it get raised significantly. Or it’ll get loopholes inserted to save face and the teams will get what they need to continue developing.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
And god help us all if Liberty runs F1 down the rabbit hole like nascar did. The sport we enjoy will be screwed and most likely unrecoverable like nascar has been.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
And god help us all if Liberty runs F1 down the rabbit hole like nascar did. The sport we enjoy will be screwed and most likely unrecoverable like nascar has been.
Hello; Interesting. I have just about stopped watching NASCAR. Not familiar with Liberty so do not know how that affected NASCAR.
I started going to NASCAR races at Bristol in the early 1960's. A friends grandfather took us. Tickets were $6 if memory serves. Bristol was not like it is today. Only concrete bleacher type seats and much less banking of the track.
I kept going to Bristol off and on for decades. Not too often in the 70's and 80's for reasons having nothing to do with the racing. I started attending in a regular way in the 1990's but eventually stopped.
It got to the point we had to lock in tickets ahead of time in order to get them. My brother would buy tickets for the spring race and i would get them for the summer race. The tickets became more and more expensive. Parking and traffic was awful for a while. The thing that stopped me ordering regular tickets was when they started requiring I also buy the Bush race tickets on top of the main race tickets. I have been since the stadium got to it's present size. It is impressive. Now some new roads help with traffic and parking is a side business for land owners.

Not kept up with the races much the last few years. I seldom watch races any more and use to watch every race. When i do watch a race it is from a recording and i fast forward thru all but the last 30 to 50 laps. I did not watch the race this past weekend at all.

I know this does not apply well but for some reason the racing and the spectacle began to remind me of wrestling. Maybe the foolish hype. When Dale Earnheart died was the start of my losing interest. Any way the racing changed over the decades and I may never go to another race in person.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Liberty isn’t involved with nascar, I was referring to how the powers that be changed how nascar was operated. We’re very lucky that the F1 race’s are commercial free. Nascar is unwatchable the commercials are so bad. The whole stage’s thing is ridiculous to.

Hello; Interesting. I have just about stopped watching NASCAR. Not familiar with Liberty so do not know how that affected NASCAR.
I started going to NASCAR races at Bristol in the early 1960's. A friends grandfather took us. Tickets were $6 if memory serves. Bristol was not like it is today. Only concrete bleacher type seats and much less banking of the track.
I kept going to Bristol off and on for decades. Not too often in the 70's and 80's for reasons having nothing to do with the racing. I started attending in a regular way in the 1990's but eventually stopped.
It got to the point we had to lock in tickets ahead of time in order to get them. My brother would buy tickets for the spring race and i would get them for the summer race. The tickets became more and more expensive. Parking and traffic was awful for a while. The thing that stopped me ordering regular tickets was when they started requiring I also buy the Bush race tickets on top of the main race tickets. I have been since the stadium got to it's present size. It is impressive. Now some new roads help with traffic and parking is a side business for land owners.

Not kept up with the races much the last few years. I seldom watch races any more and use to watch every race. When i do watch a race it is from a recording and i fast forward thru all but the last 30 to 50 laps. I did not watch the race this past weekend at all.

I know this does not apply well but for some reason the racing and the spectacle began to remind me of wrestling. Maybe the foolish hype. When Dale Earnheart died was the start of my losing interest. Any way the racing changed over the decades and I may never go to another race in person.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Liberty isn’t involved with nascar, I was referring to how the powers that be changed how nascar was operated. We’re very lucky that the F1 race’s are commercial free. Nascar is unwatchable the commercials are so bad. The whole stage’s thing is ridiculous to.
The good news is that is a big difference in team ownership between NASCAR & F1. NASCAR can ride roughshod of the teams owners with little to no pushback. In F1 Liberty has to deal with Manufacturers and major corporations. If they push too hard, Toto, Mattia, and Christian will just pick up their respective balls and go home.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Monaco I would not miss very much. If I was able to be present with the funds to live well such would be fun. However, since I watch on TV it is a yawn.

Spa is another story. That track is exciting to watch. I recall reading about it in Road & Track decades ago. The weather can be iffy. Of all the tracks that is one I would have liked to have attended. Since I am merely wishing, let it be in an NA engine era.

I did read the link about the current power units. The brake regeneration was not news to me. The details of using what would be wastegate energy was news to me. Kind of clever to capture energy that way so it does not appear to take away from ICE engine performance. Still am not in favor.
I have not yet watched even a minute of formula E. Likely never will.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I have not yet watched even a minute of formula E. Likely never will.

The RACING of Formula E is really really good, it’s pretty competitive and worth watching. But the sounds are lacking of course. Buts it’s some of the best open wheel racing I’ve watched.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The RACING of Formula E is really really good, it’s pretty competitive and worth watching. But the sounds are lacking of course. Buts it’s some of the best open wheel racing I’ve watched.
Hello; Among the other forms of racing I do not watch include semi-trucks and vehicles racing with a camper trailer attached. I only know of these things from channel surfing and landing on the events. I have been to the drag races at Bristol a few times and was impressed by the top fuel races. There is a reason it is called Thunder Valley. The engines vibrate my entire body. Not been in years tho. Never been interested in doing drag racing personally.

Lately my favorite motorized races are the motorcycle races. Not the dirt type but the ones run on paved tracks. I also watch any bicycle races that I can get. Soon will be time for the Tour de France.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FIA can just add G sensors and counters and black flag any cars with setups that endanger the drivers.

The whole thing is like the guy that asks his doctor what he can do so his head doesn't hurt when he hits it with a hammer.
Nailed it.

FIA said:
A Technical Directive has been issued to give guidance to the teams about the measures the FIA intends to take to tackle the problem.

The technical directive includes the “closer scrutiny of the planks and skids, both in terms of their design and the observed wear” as well as the definition of a metric “based on the car’s vertical acceleration, that will give a quantitative limit for acceptable level of vertical oscillations.” The F1 teams and the FIA are currently working together to define the exact mathematical formula for that metric.
Sponsored