Sponsored

Ford's autonomous cars

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
https://shift.newco.co/fords-road-to-full-autonomy-36cb9cca330#.td1suqkum

Ok, call it click bait or whatever, but hey - autonomous cars would make sports cars an unnecessary object in the marketplace (other than a style or status symbol), as their main intent is performance driving and driver involvement, unnecessary in an autonomous vehicle.

This seems like a bold statement from Ford. I would think that there would be a lot of paperwork behind allowing autonomous vehicles on the road, especially in mass. People lost their minds when they saw Google's car driving itself.

Not that I think the technology isn't there, but i think the safest means of autonomy would be everyone having a car with equal autonomous capabilities - close proximity sensors, gps, road mapping, weather consideration, etc.

Personally, I want no part of this future. I like driving!
Sponsored

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
Lame... Although I'd feel much safer if all the idiots out there weren't driving and texting at the same time. As long as it's optional and not something our government tries to force on us I'm OK with it, granted I have no desire to take part in it my self.

klousgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT Black
The highlighted text doesn't say "Ford will be mass producing only vehicles capable of driving fully autonomously within five years."

Nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
You'd have to wonder though, if autonomous cars greatly decrease accident rates (god forbid to near zero), would the government not step in and try to make them mandatory? Granted, not quite as big of a change, think catalytic converters, anti lock brakes, etc - all considered mandatory equipment. It unfortunately may be matter of time, and only "classic vehicles" would be considered the legal exception on the road.

Again, I hope not. Only speculation really.

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
Guys, relax. The biggest hurdle to overcome in relation to autonomous vehicles is cost. How can they make something mandatory if most of the public can't afford it. Eventually all cars will be autonomous, but that's a few decades from now. I'm going to enjoy my driving for the next few decades At least!

Sponsored

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I agree Joe. I'll be an old(er) man before autonomous is a common car.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
chickenlittle-480.jpg

Redxeyes71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If autonomous, would there be a need for vehicle insurance?

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I don't think it'll happen anytime soon or ever. Networks struggle to keep up now, data jamming, hacking, chips failing, cost, lawsuits, lawsuits, and more lawsuits. We will bankrupt the idea and eventually people will seek public transportation as a cheaper means to travel anyways which will very likely happen before mass car autonomy ion due to gas costs, economy, and so forth...

They should focus on railways, subways, buses and planes so idiots don't derail a train or plane or car because they had a bad day or too sleepy or drunk from night before. Autonomous transportation should be proved as a reliable means for public transportation before installing in a car as a fancy gizmo to sell to folks that buy into that kind of stuff.

Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I can't imagine what the world will be like when the 20 year old autonomous civics are still running around barely functioning and about 15 software updates behind the rest of the road...

I get the idea and personal I think in big cities like NY and LA it will take off due to the amount of taxis they already have. I just dont see most of the country full adopting in my lifetime (mid 20s here). Autonomous vehicles flourish with ride sharing not individual ownership so basically anything short of Metro areas will have little to no use or cost justification.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Self-Driving...

I want self-driving cars for the other guy! Like the guy I recently passed on the freeway who seemed to be asleep. Or the other guy who crossed into my lane while texting.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Ford only announced that they will offer full autonomous cars with a goal of offering them to ride sharing companies, delivery fleets, etc by 2021...offerings to the general public will be years after.

From Autoline Daily:

"Ford is skipping over semi-autonomous cars and going straight to fully autonomous ones, just like Google. Ford says it can’t safely manage the hand-over when a human driver has to quickly take control of the car in an emergency situation. That’s why it’s skipping over semi-autonomy. Specifically, in 2021 Ford is going to offer SAE Level 4 autonomous cars with no steering wheel or pedals. But these will not be available in showrooms. Instead they will be used for ride sharing and package delivery. Ford says it will be several years later before customers can buy these as personal cars."
Sponsored