Ford vs. Ferrari trailer

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars

Assuming everyone has seen the new Ford vs. Ferrari trailer which is about Shelby American building the GT40 to take on Ferrari in Le Mans. It highlights Ken Miles, the man who was influential and integral to the creation of the G.T. 350 Competition model that became known as the G.T.350R.
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me or is it a bit cheesy (including the bad bad title) ... not sure :)

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Not really - it's based on the book Go Like Hell written by a Carrol Shelby employee from back in the 60s who was a sometimes race car driver in his own right. In the early/mid-60s Ferrari and Ford were discussing a buy out and Ford thought it was a done deal when Ferrari backed out. Ford was angry to say the least and basically declared war on Ferrari and swore to do what ever it took to beat Ferrari at their own game. He started out with Holman Moody leading the charge but eventually they had to turn to Shelby and his crews including Ken Miles to get the job done with the GT40.

That's an off-the-cuff synopsis and leaves out a lot and may be a slight bit inaccurate in some area - but you get the jest. Ford versus Ferrari is a very appropriate title.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wildcardfox

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Is it just me or is it a bit cheesy (including the bad bad title) ... not sure :)
Watch this for a quick and entertaining video for a refresher on history.

And this was one of the two cars that Ford bought from Lola Cars to develop the Ford GT from, the Lola MK6 GT. The article also has some information of the negotiations from Ford historian John Clinard, and interviews from Richard “Dickie” Attwood who drove the early Ford GT in Le Mans, and David Hobbs who drove one of the famous Ford GT Gulf liveried Cars.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1963-lola-mk6-gt-ford-gt40/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildcardfox

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
He started out with Holman Moody leading the charge but eventually they had to turn to Shelby and his crews including Ken Miles to get the job done with the GT40.
The first program was the prototype car that was developed from the Lola MK6 GT, built by Eric Broadley of Lola Cars and Ford’s team, and it was campaigned in races by Alan Mann Racing in the U.K.. After the horrible Mercedes crash in the 50s, Ford always uses an in-between to go racing. Immediately after the 1964 Le Mans race, the cars were shipped to CA, where Shelby and Holman & Moody took over. Shelby was the de facto Factory Ford team and Holman & Moody was the privateer team.

The cars were taken immediately from LAX and transported out to Riverside International Raceway (RIR) where it was developed, changed and refined. That particular track had a 1.3 mile straight away which allowed them to test high speed runs simulating the Mulsanne Straight in Le Mans, France.

That track (RIR) was also Shelby Americans home track where they developed all of their 1960s cars, from the original cobra, Daytona coupe, king cobra, G.T.350 Competiton Model (aka G.T.350 R), Ford GT, and revealed the G.T.500. It also was the home of the Shelby School of High Performance Driving.

When they won in 1966 the two first cars were Shelby cars, the gold and pink mustached car was one of Holman & Moody’s entrant.

A little movie changing history is that Riverside is changed to Willow Springs Raceway because of movies, and the story is about Le Mans, not exactly where they were developed at.

Last edited:

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
Not really - it's based on the book Go Like Hell written by a Carroll Shelby employee from back in the 60s who was a sometimes race car driver in his own right..
A little off on the author and his history, but a great book. I would highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys history, especially automotive history. A.J. Baime is the author (born in 71) and does a great job telling the story.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K16PBY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am so looking forward to seeing the movie. I am hoping the movie gives Ken Miles a lot of credit for how valuable he was as a test driver for Shelby racing.

OP
OP
Wildcardfox

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I am so looking forward to seeing the movie. I am hoping the movie gives Ken Miles a lot of credit for how valuable he was as a test driver for Shelby racing.
The inside word on the movie is that Ken is the star. It’s about his contributions to the team.

Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I’ve seen the trailers at least a dozen times. This is going to be an awesome movie....and I think it just made the value of my GT350 go up.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I don't usually watch these kind of in-the-past movies about racing, but as an owner, I am compelled and probably legally obligated to go watch it.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
A little movie changing history is that Riverside is changed to Willow Springs Raceway because of movies, and the story is about Le Mans, not exactly where they were developed at.
I wonder how they got Shelby and the drivers to use Willow Springs for this promo?

I would have expected them to use RIR...

OP
OP
Wildcardfox

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I wonder how they got Shelby and the drivers to use Willow Springs for this promo?

RIR does not exist anymore. I’m one of the many people who now live where the track used to be in Moreno Valley. CGI money was probably saved in changing RIR to Willow. They also made a lot of historical changes that many of the original people are not happy with, but it’s a movie—not a documentary. Although if it was my life I guess I would be a little upset too. All in all, it’s a moment that will get a lot of people focused on this great American story.

OP
OP
Wildcardfox

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars

Big congrats on posting that video. I sent it out to a couple of special people.
Sponsored