Ford Skyline thoughts

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Doubt, it isn't the 60/70/80's anymore, brand loyalty is dead.
Anyone that remembers the older vehicle with that name, shy away from the newer vehicles of same name.
Examples
1)nova
2)gto
3)daytona
4)duster
etc.
Many of these vehicles would have sold much better IF the badge on them was a new name and not a badge with niche attached to it.
The 2004-6 gto is a case study of this. Great car that Pontiac guys turned their nose up at, because they wanted a 1967 gto or nothing.
But ford has no shame, I mean the last thunderbird was a reskinned jag.
The new ev f-150 they killed the lightning nameplate, That turd should've be named Something else , Anything else.
I know a LOT of people that bought the Daytona and GTO because of the name. In some cases, the people even still own a classic one My dad's friend has a 2004 GTO next to his classic Judge. I literally know NO ONE that complained about the GTO name, just that they felt it should have been a bit more retro.

Lightning perfectly fits what the EV F-150 IS. Powered by Electric, which Lightning is. Just like Thunderbird would have fit the Mach-E much better. The dumbest brand in Fords lineup right now is "Raptor". that is NOT associated with off-roading, or climbing hills. Is NOT associated with Ford at all in any logical way other than someone thought it sounded cool for some REALLY weird reason. Realistically calling it a F-150 ST or RS would be a better branding fit. Hell, just get rid of Shelby/Cobra and Raptor and just start calling them the Ford Performance Bronco. Ford Performance Mustang, and Ford Performance F-150. Or even just Bronco FP, Mustang FP, and F-150 FP. They would be MUCH more logical names.

Raptor sounds like a 5yo named it.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The 2004-6 gto is a case study of this. Great car that Pontiac guys turned their nose up at, because they wanted a 1967 gto or nothing.
The boring GM styling of the day was the nail in the coffin there. They were a great car otherwise, and I'm not a GM fanboy.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The boring GM styling of the day was the nail in the coffin there. They were a great car otherwise, and I'm not a GM fanboy.
The styling was why I almost got one instead of the 2003 Mach1 I did get. I only ended up in the mach1 as I couldn't find the color I wanted in manual in the GTO.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The styling was why I almost got one instead of the 2003 Mach1 I did get. I only ended up in the mach1 as I couldn't find the color I wanted in manual in the GTO.
Too Grand Prix for my taste.

An uncle is a Pontiac fanatic and had a sweet '06 in Brazen Orange with the manual trans. I couldn't believe it when he sold it, the thing was pristine and low mile.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The 70's Mavrick was an economy pos, just like the 2021 up p/u with same name
Hey take it easy with the name calling. My friend had one of these back in the day and was a pretty cool sleeper. Of course, we did a little ”work” on that 302 Windsor. :giggle:

1632921152727.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Too Grand Prix for my taste.

An uncle is a Pontiac fanatic and had a sweet '06 in Brazen Orange with the manual trans. I couldn't believe it when he sold it, the thing was pristine and low mile.
Thats actually the combo I was looking for.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Hey take it easy with the name calling. My friend had one of these back in the day and was a pretty cool sleeper. Of course, we did a little ”work” on that 302 Windsor. :giggle:

1632921152727.jpeg
I'd love to have it today with a 351W stroker stuffed in it.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I know a LOT of people that bought the Daytona and GTO because of the name. In some cases, the people even still own a classic one My dad's friend has a 2004 GTO next to his classic Judge. I literally know NO ONE that complained about the GTO name, just that they felt it should have been a bit more retro.

Lightning perfectly fits what the EV F-150 IS. Powered by Electric, which Lightning is. Just like Thunderbird would have fit the Mach-E much better. The dumbest brand in Fords lineup right now is "Raptor". that is NOT associated with off-roading, or climbing hills. Is NOT associated with Ford at all in any logical way other than someone thought it sounded cool for some REALLY weird reason. Realistically calling it a F-150 ST or RS would be a better branding fit. Hell, just get rid of Shelby/Cobra and Raptor and just start calling them the Ford Performance Bronco. Ford Performance Mustang, and Ford Performance F-150. Or even just Bronco FP, Mustang FP, and F-150 FP. They would be MUCH more logical names.

Raptor sounds like a 5yo named it.
So you know someone that bought the early 90's 2.2 turbo daytona? and liked it and thought it was a good follow up to the original?
Or did you forget about that generation?
All I heard while I had my gto was the front looked too much like the G/P and the rear a colbalt. Seems they forgot the 60-70's gto's looked like the whole Pontiac line up from the nose head on.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1632921152727.jpeg
I knew someone would post the grabber, but for the most part they were inline 6 economy turds.
Having said that. a 2.3e/b in one today would make a sleeper

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
So you know someone that bought the early 90's 2.2 turbo daytona? and liked it and thought it was a good follow up to the original?
Or did you forget about that generation?
All I heard while I had my gto was the front looked too much like the G/P and the rear a colbalt. Seems they forgot the 60-70's gto's looked like the whole Pontiac line up from the nose head on.
The 2.2 Daytona was my dream car growing up. I thought it looked cool AF. It with the 69 Mach1 was one of the cars that made me think cars were cool as a kid.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2.2 Daytona was my dream car growing up. I thought it looked cool AF. It with the 69 Mach1 was one of the cars that made me think cars were cool as a kid.
The conquest was a much better car, faster, and rear drive turbo 4.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Ford used the name Maverick because it was a small truck name in other countries, not because of the car that they'd probably like to forget. Their Milennial target groups liked the name better than the other choices. It makes sense if it will be marketed in other countries that already are familiar with the name as a truck.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

20VGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ford used the name Maverick because it was a small truck name in other countries, not because of the car that they'd probably like to forget. Their Milennial target groups liked the name better than the other choices. It makes sense if it will be marketed in other countries that already are familiar with the name as a truck.
I figured the courier name would have made better sense but i guess the younger generation doesn't remember them.

downloadfile-1.jpg
Sponsored