Sponsored

Ford Skyline thoughts

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
A while back Ford trademarked the name SKYLINE in the US. Anyone have thoughts on just what it could be? A new Trim level? A shole new vehicle? Just buying it so Nissan can't? Personally, I've long thought that Nissan should just rebrand the Q cars as SKYLINE in the US like they are in Japan, but now it looks like they can't.
Sponsored

20VGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ford used to have a skyliner back in 1957. Maybe they are bringing old name plates back.. Heard they trademarked the Thunderbird name as well

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Ford used to have a skyliner back in 1957. Maybe they are bringing old name plates back.. Heard they trademarked the Thunderbird name as well
They have had Thunderbird for a while. Personally I think it would have been a better name for the Mach-E.

20VGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
They renewed the thunderbird trademark in Jan. if i'm not mistaken. What I don't get is why bring back all these car names when the mustang is the only car they build. Most people doesn't remember the mavrick car they build in the 70's and yet they throw the name on a small pickup :giggle:

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
They renewed the thunderbird trademark in Jan. if i'm not mistaken. What I don't get is why bring back all these car names when the mustang is the only car they build. Most people doesn't remember the mavrick car they build in the 70's and yet they throw the name on a small pickup :giggle:
Its Open Range things.

Wild Animals
Bronco
Mustang
Maverick
Thunderbird ( mythological character that appears in many Native American legends was in the mid-west/wild west)
(formerly) Taurus

What would that large prairie/wooded area be patrolled/policed by? A Ranger.

What do you do in the wilderness? Escape to it, Explor(er) it, or go on an Expedition.

The only things that DONT fit right now are the E/F series, and Edge. They can rename the Edge to Taurus and it would fit.

Sponsored

20VGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Its Open Range things.

Wild Animals
Bronco
Mustang
Maverick
Thunderbird ( mythological character that appears in many Native American legends was in the mid-west/wild west)
(formerly) Taurus

What would that large prairie/wooded area be patrolled/policed by? A Ranger.

What do you do in the wilderness? Escape to it, Explor(er) it, or go on an Expedition.

The only things that DONT fit right now are the E/F series, and Edge. They can rename the Edge to Taurus and it would fit.
And yet they don't understand that 99% of the population doesn't buy a vehicle based on name. Do they think they are going to sell 100,000 more Mavrick trucks because of the name? or throwing the thunderbird name on a suv is going to sell like hotcakes. Throwing the Mustang name on the Mach-e is another dumb ass idea as well.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
And yet they don't understand that 99% of the population doesn't buy a vehicle based on name. Do they think they are going to sell 100,000 more Mavrick trucks because of the name? or throwing the thunderbird name on a suv is going to sell like hotcakes. Throwing the Mustang name on the Mach-e is another dumb ass idea as well.
For nostalgia people it will.

names market better than numbers like Q50 S or c63. So why not use names that have history with a large chunk of buyers? AKA Boomers.

that’s why Acura is bringing back the Integra and Legend nameplates, and killing the ILX. Those names mean more to the 30-40 crowd that will be buying them.

20VGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I don't have a problem with bringing back old nameplates when they fit with the vehicle. I Think it's awesome that they brought the bronco back, but don't ruin nameplates for the hell of it. I'm sorry ford but the abomination of the Mach-e will never be a Mustang to me.

Deleted member 35644

It's pretty clear that "cars" are nearly done here, while electric crossovers and SUVs are our (bleak) future. I'd rather Ford not use the name Thunderbird, Mustang, etc on any kind of SUV, but it's better than letting another manufacturer use them for the same purpose.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

names market better than numbers like Q50 S or c63. So why not use names that have history with a large chunk of buyers? AKA Boomers.

that’s why Acura is bringing back the Integra and Legend nameplates, and killing the ILX. Those names mean more to the 30-40 crowd that will be buying them.
This. Alphanumeric "names" mean nothing and don't resonate.

I'm nowhere near a boomer, but a name trumps gibberish every time. I'm never going to name a pet X53 or something stupid.

Deleted member 35644

They better be very careful where they apply the Legend name. If they stick it on the back of an SUV, I'm going to throw my hands up and give up on humanity. That 'thing' they replaced the Legend with was pitiful. Acura, heal thyself from all your past sins.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
They better be very careful where they apply the Legend name. If they stick it on the back of an SUV, I'm going to throw my hands up and give up on humanity. That 'thing' they replaced the Legend with was pitiful. Acura, heal thyself from all your past sins.
It's expected to be a performance hybrid sedan with Lv3 self-driving.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
The 70's Mavrick was an economy pos, just like the 2021 up p/u with same name

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.

Doubt, it isn't the 60/70/80's anymore, brand loyalty is dead.
Anyone that remembers the older vehicle with that name, shy away from the newer vehicles of same name.
Examples
1)nova
2)gto
3)daytona
4)duster
etc.
Many of these vehicles would have sold much better IF the badge on them was a new name and not a badge with niche attached to it.
The 2004-6 gto is a case study of this. Great car that Pontiac guys turned their nose up at, because they wanted a 1967 gto or nothing.
But ford has no shame, I mean the last thunderbird was a reskinned jag.
The new ev f-150 they killed the lightning nameplate, That turd should've be named Something else , Anything else.
Sponsored