Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
if you trawl through the forum as i have for the past 6 months (LOL) you will know that you should basically tune and intercooler. The exhaust will be very very minimal if anything.
Sponsored

vegetakid24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost
Roger that! I'm an EB newb so I appreciate the advice!
ya just get an exhaust if u like the sound.. personally I really like the solo exhaust

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
So far my MPG is up. Today I averaged 26.3 MPG on my daily commute which usually yields 24-25. Tune is so much smoother then stock.

Last edited:

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
So far my M.PG is up. Today I averaged 26.3 MPG on my daily commute which usually yields 24-25. Tune is so much smoother the stock.

Nice to hear. Appreciate the feedback.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Nice to hear. Appreciate the feedback.
Just finished a 230 mile trip (about to leave out again for another leg).

I'm a bit surprised... I thought my mpg would be worse. It is actually better. Normally I'd get 28 mpg or 24 mpg with more city driving.

I'm at 29.8 exactly.

This is a run I do all the time...

Reason why I think I'm up? I can drive in "D". When on the hwy, I don't have to get into "s" or sport mode all the time to pass people. D gets me there quickly and smoothly.

The FP tune is amazing to me... makes the car very predictable in "d". For example, before when I merged into traffic, I'd hit the gas and go "oh shoot, not enough power". Definitely don't have that issue.

This is my first long trip... very happy so far.

Negative:

Still say it makes the car less fun to drive. It drives very, very well... power is there (more than enough). Power is so smooth. Unleashed power was such a rush... like a kid in a candy store with $1000 in smiles. FP makes me smile, but in a different way (like a grown up... if that makes sense). I don't see me going back to unleashed at this point though.... no way.

I'll more than likely report back on Friday or Sat... wanted to give a quick update now.

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
JTMAT i read your build.
Can you tell me what boost increase if any increase at all there is with the FP tune?

Cheers

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Just finished a 230 mile trip (about to leave out again for another leg).

I'm a bit surprised... I thought my mpg would be worse. It is actually better. Normally I'd get 28 mpg or 24 mpg with more city driving.

I'm at 29.8 exactly.

This is a run I do all the time...

Reason why I think I'm up? I can drive in "D". When on the hwy, I don't have to get into "s" or sport mode all the time to pass people. D gets me there quickly and smoothly.

The FP tune is amazing to me... makes the car very predictable in "d". For example, before when I merged into traffic, I'd hit the gas and go "oh shoot, not enough power". Definitely don't have that issue.

This is my first long trip... very happy so far.

Negative:

Still say it makes the car less fun to drive. It drives very, very well... power is there (more than enough). Power is so smooth. Unleashed power was such a rush... like a kid in a candy store with $1000 in smiles. FP makes me smile, but in a different way (like a grown up... if that makes sense). I don't see me going back to unleashed at this point though.... no way.

I'll more than likely report back on Friday or Sat... wanted to give a quick update now.
Your past 1 drive cycle, so you should now be adjusted for optimal timing. How would you rate the power output of the FP tune? I would say the Livernois is similar to how you describe the Unleashed tune, a rush of power.

But that does not necessarily mean a fast car, once my stock tune completed a drive cycle, at least with 3.73 gearing and a FMIC, it gave a decent rush but then falls off on the top end, but most of the time it was pretty fun to drive even if the car would only run mid 13's.

I'm with you on the FP tune however, it's just so refined in terms of power delivery, it's electric motor like smooth and the throttle profile is the best in my opinion between stock, Livernois and Ford Performance, it almost mimics an NA V8 in terms of how it feels. However I'm only at 114 miles, so I am only running base line timing so I can't say yet how the full power output of the tune is compared to Livernois, which was impressive to me.

I'd almost say this, the FP tune reminds me of a high end Ferrari, while I've never ridden in one, I know people who have and they describe the power as very linear, you just get going quickly but don't realize how fast your really accelerating. Where as a super charged mustang is a massive jolt of power that's in your face, but might not be as fast as it feels (not that it's slow, but our perception may be skewed due to how the power is delivered).

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is more of me posting "too much"...right from my contact at Ford Performance. Maybe nobody cares and just ignore my posts, but then again, how many others are getting confirmations and information directly from the source in quotes? At least you know I'm not full of crap regarding these things ;)

Yes, the octane learn function is enabled in our calibration. You could run lower octane fuel if you absolutely had to. We don’t recommend switching among multiple octanes because your pcm will be constantly adjusting and your car will have inconsistent performance.

You probably wouldn’t notice the difference in a single octane point, but certainly 87 to 91 or 93 is noticeable. If you can’t avoid 87 octane, drive very easily. Don’t accelerate hard or lug the engine.

Mike
I wanted to confirm an earlier post about running 87 on the FP tune in an emergency which i was skeptical of, but am no longer so. This would also give merit to my "speculation" and theory about the octane learn function base line being set for 87 or at the very least conservative as is the case with the stock PCM software and why people are experiencing a significant pickup in performance after about 200 miles (1 drive cycle, thanks to Juben's input) in which the PCM adjusts to the octane in the tank.

We can take away the following with certainty now:

1. you need at least 200 miles on the car running 93 before you can accurately judge the actual peak performance of the Ford Performance Calibration. The base line timing profile is fairly conservative on the Ford Performance tune starting out which is a safety mechanism to prevent detonation events or constant knock on lower octane.

2. you can run 87 if absolutely necessary, but you will not be able to push the car at all, light throttle and no lugging (aka keeping it in 6th and 50% throttle to accelerate on the highway).

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds about how much they'd like to take from you yes but you can get it for a lot less. Buy the Performance Pack from Levittown Ford a sponsor here on the forum or from Steve Powell at Tasca Ford at a discount. Then find a ASE certified tech to do the install at a much more reasonable cost. Orrrrrr if you can install it yourself and get an ASE certified technician you have a good relationship with to verify it for you and sign off you could save a lot more.
If you did install it yourself and documented your work, FP said that shouldn't be an issue to take it in and have them verify it for warranty.

They can easily inspect the CAI and a screen shot of the FP utility saying "successfully completed" should be enough to prove you flashed correctly (as the utility shows your vin, strategy codes etc which are unique to your car).

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If ur not planning on getting a downpipe, just get an axelback. Will save u a bit of money especially if u go Borla. I got the Borla S-type axelback
How would you rate the Borla exhaust note? I'm looking for something that provides a bit of deep growl on throttle, but that doesn't drone while cruising or light throttle. I don't want anything super loud either.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
How would you rate the Borla exhaust note? I'm looking for something that provides a bit of deep growl on throttle, but that doesn't drone while cruising or light throttle. I don't want anything super loud either.
Honestly I love it. Its not super deep like some of the exhausts on here. I wanted something that sounded like a good tuner, not farty/wannabe v8. Its quiet when ur cruising but pretty loud (it roars) when u step on it, not obnoxiously loud though. No drone at all at any RPM/speed. Its not raspy like the borla atak/roush. The S-type is definitely a good middle ground. Its pricey at ~$700-800, but it was worth it to get an exhaust that has a good rep and sound. It sounded mean when I had my mishimoto intake. When I switched for to the FP intake (for the tune), it did get quieter. I might switch back when my warranty expires.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone in a warm state run the 1/4 mile yet with the Ford Performance Calibration + FMIC? Some one posted a while back they ran a best of 13.1 on Cobb Stage 1 91 tune with a couple other bolt ons, so I think there's some real potential with the Ford Performance tune combined with the tried and true EB bolt ons.

Cobb Stage 1 91 tune:
graph.jpg

Fox's Beta Ford Performance Cal with FMIC upgrade:

There's no way I"ll get a chance until spring, it's 17F here now :-(. Best I can do is put it on the dyno after holidays so see if the final released version of the Ford Performance Cal puts out numbers similar to Fox's.

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
No way thats the real #s on the fp tune.thats better#s then most of the other tuners
Sponsored