Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yes, this kit should be cheaper, but its not a $1275 kit, thats msrp. I was lucky and got mine for $951. I know the price went up a little, but i would hope it will come down with time. Again, equivalents 15-17 tune is $700.

This is not just a bullitt tune. I would bet it has more torque than a bullitt below 4,000 rpm and its changes the a10 trans shifting and torque management. You will feel the difference in everyday driving immediately. Maybe not as much for m6 guys. Yes, you could get a custom dyno tune for a specific fuel and make better peak numbers, but probably not driveability. This tune is not for everyone, but it is a solid tune for those of us with daily drivers who don't plan on more engine mods.
That could be why this tune took so long to release. The regular GT probably completely outclasses the bullitt with this power pack. Last I checked, the Bullitt didn't have any bump in torque. I've read many bullit drivers say there must be some tuning to keep the torque, but another idea is that the regular GT was intentionally neutered so the bullitt looked better on paper. I know there's those articles talking about how the engines are mostly tapped out from factory, but how often does a final design survive the marketing and "user experience" phase unscathed?
Sponsored

Bowlerguy92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10 Auto PP1
I've been following most of this thread and am still having trouble figuring out a consensus. For someone who has absolutely 0 interest in voiding their warranty (just had a $5k transmission rebuild courtesy of Ford) is this package worth it? Given my recent major repair at Ford, I couldn't imagine having to foot that bill myself because they blame a tune from Lund or something.

My car just hasn't been reliable enough in its short ownership for me to justify throwing caution to the wind. However, I still would like to wring out whatever power I can.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I've been following most of this thread and am still having trouble figuring out a consensus. For someone who has absolutely 0 interest in voiding their warranty (just had a $5k transmission rebuild courtesy of Ford) is this package worth it? Given my recent major repair at Ford, I couldn't imagine having to foot that bill myself because they blame a tune from Lund or something.

My car just hasn't been reliable enough in its short ownership for me to justify throwing caution to the wind. However, I still would like to wring out whatever power I can.
There's no consensus because it's subjective. We're all happy with it but if it's worth the price point is debatable.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
It's not perfect, but i'm happy. Yes we can debate price. A custom/dyno tune on pump gas may make more peak horsepower by 10 to 20, but at 6500rpm. Not sure about the rest of you, but unless you drag race, this isn't that useful for a daily driver. Also, i believe that Ford messed with a lot of things beside fuel/timing. I have yet to get on it, but noticed immediately more power/responsiveness. I do have an a10, so that probably makes a difference. I would bet that this tune is as good if not better than the Roush kit based on prior experience.

Again, for all those that worry about voiding warranty, you can always removed kit and reflash ecm. I can say that unless i blew up the engine, the service writer at my dealer would probably not give me a hard time. I did get cats replace with ford supercharger kit and i installed myself. So its not as black and white as some would make you think!

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I paid $1,008 for the kit. So I looked up some parts. JLT Cold air intake $350 need a tune, another brand or better one will have higher cost, 87mm throttle body $215, adapter $95 = $660. A tune cost is ~$500 or higher. So $1160. I dont see a problem with the costs. Of course people can argue after market parts and tune are better for performance, IDK. But for me getting all this at one time is simple. Let me know of I am wrong on prices. Later down the road, I'll probably go after market tune headers, etc. But for now this works for me.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It's not perfect, but i'm happy. Yes we can debate price. A custom/dyno tune on pump gas may make more peak horsepower by 10 to 20, but at 6500rpm. Not sure about the rest of you, but unless you drag race, this isn't that useful for a daily driver. Also, i believe that Ford messed with a lot of things beside fuel/timing. I have yet to get on it, but noticed immediately more power/responsiveness. I do have an a10, so that probably makes a difference. I would bet that this tune is as good if not better than the Roush kit based on prior experience.

Again, for all those that worry about voiding warranty, you can always removed kit and reflash ecm. I can say that unless i blew up the engine, the service writer at my dealer would probably not give me a hard time. I did get cats replace with ford supercharger kit and i installed myself. So its not as black and white as some would make you think!
Because the engine uses VCT/VVT/VTECH YO the cam timing can be adjusted to suit many needs. The stock tune most likely runs the cam timing a bit retarded for safety and for those who absolutely insist on using 87 octane. This lowers the compression ratio and effectively kills the low end. Peak power actually benefits from retarded cam timing. So the top end won't feel very different but the "throttle response" will feel very laggy. Requiring 91+ only means the tune can have a lot more cam advancement to increase the compression ratio and produce more force. It's also why the e85 crowd notices such a large benefit in the low and mid range. To reiterate what's been said several times, peak power is only a part of the picture.

Once upon a time a user had to make a choice. Big lopey cam for nice top end power but absolutely dogged low end (69 boss 429, I'm lookin at you), or a nice amount of seat of your pants in exchange for a power band that falls on its face (the pushrod 5.0 with the e7 heads).

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Because the engine uses VCT/VVT/VTECH YO the cam timing can be adjusted to suit many needs. The stock tune most likely runs the cam timing a bit retarded for safety and for those who absolutely insist on using 87 octane. This lowers the compression ratio and effectively kills the low end. Peak power actually benefits from retarded cam timing. So the top end won't feel very different but the "throttle response" will feel very laggy. Requiring 91+ only means the tune can have a lot more cam advancement to increase the compression ratio and produce more force. It's also why the e85 crowd notices such a large benefit in the low and mid range. To reiterate what's been said several times, peak power is only a part of the picture.

Once upon a time a user had to make a choice. Big lopey cam for nice top end power but absolutely dogged low end (69 boss 429, I'm lookin at you), or a nice amount of seat of your pants in exchange for a power band that falls on its face (the pushrod 5.0 with the e7 heads).
To be fair though people who purchase a GT wouldn't actually run 87 right? I mean unless they let their mother borrow the car and she thought she'd do them a favor by filling it up?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
To be fair though people who purchase a GT wouldn't actually run 87 right? I mean unless they let their mother borrow the car and she thought she'd do them a favor by filling it up?
Go look through the 87 vs 91+ threads. Plenty of people do and many bought this because they can run 87. Then there's a slew of repeated, paragraph long comments stating something something "only lose 5 hp you won't feel that in the real world," or "you won't notice the power loss down low where most of us spend our time" which is exactly where you'd notice it but, alas.

Bowlerguy92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10 Auto PP1
I paid $1,008 for the kit. So I looked up some parts. JLT Cold air intake $350 need a tune, another brand or better one will have higher cost, 87mm throttle body $215, adapter $95 = $660. A tune cost is ~$500 or higher. So $1160. I dont see a problem with the costs. Of course people can argue after market parts and tune are better for performance, IDK. But for me getting all this at one time is simple. Let me know of I am wrong on prices. Later down the road, I'll probably go after market tune headers, etc. But for now this works for me.
Nice analysis. I think I'll probably pick this kit up as a "one and done" type of deal and just put engine mods to bed and enjoy the car for what it is which is already a stupid fast machine. I think a wing and a Roush axleback will be the finishing touches for me.

For the record, I'm one of those that primarily runs 87 just for the every day economy. If I was going to go race I'd throw 93 in it. With this kit I'll obviously swap to 93 but in general driving, I haven't noticed a difference. I wonder how much this tune would take advantage of 100 octane race fuel.

lb18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Great discussion going here. Anyone with the manual transmission running 91 octane have this installed yet? Trying to decide between this or a Lund Flex/E85 tune. Unfortunately the E85 I tested near me is only 67% so not sure how much it will benefit me vs. this power pack.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Great discussion going here. Anyone with the manual transmission running 91 octane have this installed yet? Trying to decide between this or a Lund Flex/E85 tune. Unfortunately the E85 I tested near me is only 67% so not sure how much it will benefit me vs. this power pack.
A flex tune on e67 will still beat the pants off 91. In AZ our flex fuel is e54 for the most part (there are like 2 stations with real e85) but even then I loathe the times I occasionally have to fill up with 91. There is no comparison.

bigmac5166

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoying reading the different experiences with this kit so far. I have a base GT without any options other than wheels and the spare tire, no drive modes or anything. I'm keeping my expectations in check, but I am excited to see what this does to my base 6speed. Ordered on Friday, not sure how long it will take as I'm sure there was a decent order influx after the initial release. Also fingers crossed mine arrives with the air inlet!

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a manual transmission and only run the highest premium gas which is 93 around here. I think it's 93. Even before the kit install. So I couldnt tell you if there was a difference with lower and higher octane gas with the kit. BUT I will say that I feel a difference in 2nd gear doing a pull at only 40 mph. It moves. Feel it in the seat. Before install, I would start the pull at 55 to 60 mph and RPM up around 6,000. Now at 40 mph at 3,500 RPMs its pulling way better at that point. I am still learning the change though.

I want to try e85 one day. But I would need that flex tune I believe, is that correct?

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I have a manual transmission and only run the highest premium gas which is 93 around here. I think it's 93. Even before the kit install. So I couldnt tell you if there was a difference with lower and higher octane gas with the kit. BUT I will say that I feel a difference in 2nd gear doing a pull at only 40 mph. It moves. Feel it in the seat. Before install, I would start the pull at 55 to 60 mph and RPM up around 6,000. Now at 40 mph at 3,500 RPMs its pulling way better at that point. I am still learning the change though.

I want to try e85 one day. But I would need that flex tune I believe, is that correct?
Nice. I'm hoping for similar results. 2nd gear pull is sluggish until you get up to around 5k rpms. This car is nice if you go all out from a dig, but for daily driving, you really need to downshift to get up to speed. ~40lbs of tq at 2k rpms is very appealing. I hope to see more positive reviews from the 6 speed crowd.

I assume normal daily acceleration from a stop is a bit better at getting up to speed as well?