Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
I thought I would drop a review here for anyone that does not want to dig through 175 pages who is maybe looking for recent information on this kit. I have a 2020 GT A10 that I bought used with only having exhaust on it. Steeda H and little bullet muffles (Loud - borderline too loud). I drove the car stock for a bit, it had 18k on the clock when I got it in 2021. was not pleased with the shifting and decided to get a throttle position enhancer. There was a deal here via Solar. I used that until I pulled the trigger on this kit in November. Installed it over Xmas holiday.

The throttle enhancer was okay, but never really fixed the short comings I feel the car had. I've had many fords and they are known for poor factory shift strategies and weaker low end power. The Mustang is no different than all the rest. with the enhancer the foot response was better and shifts were improved, but not refined or smooth. I also had a situation where the car and rpm's would seek a balance when cold and actually feel like it was jerking and it mimicked quickly flooring the pedal and releasing at certain rpms. Only when cold and knowing it would happen you could feather it out and avoid it. So at the time, with the stiff cost of this kit I opted to deal with the enhancer for now.

So I opted in and got the kit. Cheers to Levittown Ford for a great price and a shipping cost reduction code, Thanks Benny!!!

Install was a breeze, having installed many CAI and TB's before. I did load up the ProCal first and I will caution people - take the voucher code in the box and make a fordperformance.com account first, register the code, then take the link provided and load local the ProCal software. Then go to the car and get the stock programming. Rehook to computer and get the performance tune. If you manually download the ProCal software and get the stock tune and try to get the performance tune (without registering) you will get bounced and that voucher will get locked and you will have to contact Fordperformance for a new voucher. This new kit has a replacement elbow for the brake booster line in the intake so there is no more chopping of aircraft carrier cover. well made kit and everything fit fine, even the hood seal. use your torque wrenches!!!

Loading tune on the car is a breeze and takes way less time than copying the stock tune to the ProCal

Initial thoughts on the setup and the first 80 miles over 2 days. Cold start is quieter, cruising rpms are quieter. Shifting is completely different/better on all levels. Pulls are firmer and smoother (smooth means fast, right?). In drive / normal its a different car. the car it should have been from Ford. I my case since I've had the enhancer on there so long, the shifts and pedal are a touch softer than where I had it adjusted. but no seeking and surging on occasion. around town driving this is nice, since when you get into it, the car responds quickly and firmly, but when you want to cruise it lets you do that. in my case the exhaust note is quieter and a little burbler than before (better to me).

thoughts after 3 daily drive days: D - normal is perfect for daily drive, everything is settled in and nice for in town traffic and highway traffic. Putting it in Sport on the gear shift lever and not touching the paddles is the deal for spirited driving though. that takes it up a notch with harder shifts and holding rpms nicely and increased exhaust note. even the downshifts are right and never seeking like before in s of s+. I'll also say that 55-90mph passing maneuvers happen way faster than prior and the time that it takes is a no lag situation now, so if you're going to go you better be ready and have a clear path ahead, the car rips and it does not take long to be in the criminal offence speed zone. whit this kit there is finally a reason for using D and S that are completely different, where stock it seemed gimmicky and minor differences that matter not at all.

I never used track mode so I'd guess its better there too, but have not tried yet.

To summarize its a different car with the kit and the way it should have been sold by Ford being a 460hp sports car. The kit is pricy, but if you hate the way your stock A10 car shifts and reacts to throttle inputs, this is the solution if you are going to stay N/A, non E85 and want to keep a warranty of sorts or out of warranty and want the car you thought you bought.
When you mention the brake aspirator tube is it just the 90* connection or did they change it up again?
Sponsored

samjluck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
this is what they have, the white 90. I cut the old straight connector off and slipped the 90 on the hose and done. I don't know if this is different than before, but this way there is no trimming required for the engine cover

1704650570005.png

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
this is what they have, the white 90. I cut the old straight connector off and slipped the 90 on the hose and done. I don't know if this is different than before, but this way there is no trimming required for the engine cover

1704650570005.png
They actually changed this so there wasn't so much stress on the nipple protruding from the intake, but it also allows you to cheat like that if you want to use the cover.

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
I still donā€™t understand why they didnā€™t use an elbow more similar to the Mach 1 intake. Wouldnā€™t even need to switch connectors or trim the cover.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I still donā€™t understand why they didnā€™t use an elbow more similar to the Mach 1 intake. Wouldnā€™t even need to switch connectors or trim the cover.
The Mach 1 intake tube is slightly different, that's why. Also worth considering that when this kit was being designed, the Mach 1 wasn't even out yet. It's easy to think "why wouldn't they just update the parts", but then they'd have to do the CARB process all over again to re-certify the kit. This is why they never update the tune files either.

I actually looked into seeing if I could use a Mach 1 tube for better fitment, but there are some problems, like how the MAF sensor location is on the opposite side (at least on the 2022 and 2023 cars, which means unless you can find a used 2021 intake you're going to have this issue). There's also a resonance chamber built into the base much like how the factory intake tube is designed. 22/23 also has the extra carbon trap stuff. This means that it's likely the MAF transfer function is just ever so slightly different and the tune would either complain or not be optimal compared to the GT350 tube that it expects to be there. Maybe someone else can be brave and try it one day.

Sponsored

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
Guess I thought the Mach 1 design wouldā€™ve been in the pipeline when these released. But I guess they probably started working on these earlier than that.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They said the contacted FP and they instructed them to update the procal software. Odd though, i updated it the day before I brought it in.
Interesting, there's a new version of the procal program itself for windows, and then it updated the device. No change to the tune though, just a change to one single PID it would seem. Not sure what was modified.

t-zoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1
So has anyone had the brake system warning recall done with leaving the FP tune on (not returning to the stock file) and had it work ok?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So I went back to stock, got the recall done, then had a P160A after stored in the pcm. I remembered that I changed tire size in the past, so I called FP and confirmed you can edit tire/gearing on the stock tune. Redid the tire size change on the procal and now it's good to go.

So if any of you have modified the tire size or gearing, you'll have the same code after the bcm is reprogrammed. Just make sure your procal is updated before you redo it.

The tech that did my recall didn't touch the pcm so having this tune shouldn't affect anything from what I've seen, buy it might depend on individual dealers and technicians.

I'm probably staying stock though, while the new plugs mostly fixed it, it still does the part throttle rattle/ping on occasion where the stock tune doesn't ever anymore. Stock feels a bit more crisp even if it's missing that torque hit down low. It also sounds better in my opinion since there's not so much knock retard.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
So I went back to stock, got the recall done, then had a P160A after stored in the pcm. I remembered that I changed tire size in the past, so I called FP and confirmed you can edit tire/gearing on the stock tune. Redid the tire size change on the procal and now it's good to go.

So if any of you have modified the tire size or gearing, you'll have the same code after the bcm is reprogrammed. Just make sure your procal is updated before you redo it.

The tech that did my recall didn't touch the pcm so having this tune shouldn't affect anything from what I've seen, buy it might depend on individual dealers and technicians.

I'm probably staying stock though, while the new plugs mostly fixed it, it still does the part throttle rattle/ping on occasion where the stock tune doesn't ever anymore. Stock feels a bit more crisp even if it's missing that torque hit down low. It also sounds better in my opinion since there's not so much knock retard.
I wish I could get rid of the stock tunes rev hang. I would be very happy with that alone and could live without the FP tune extra bit of torque. I realize I can have a Turner do this but I looked into the cost and it's just not worth it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wish I could get rid of the stock tunes rev hang. I would be very happy with that alone and could live without the FP tune extra bit of torque. I realize I can have a Turner do this but I looked into the cost and it's just not worth it.
Yeah, that's one thing I already miss about the FP tune, lol. It's just gonna be a compromise no matter which way you go I guess. FP tune is better for having fun, while stock is better for daily driving.

At least most of the ping is gone so it's actually usable now. Still not even sure if what I hear sometimes is ping since it lasts for 2-3 seconds. Still annoys me though since it echos off other cars and stuff šŸ˜‚

AWESOMO 4000

Threads
Reaction score
The upstate region. South of the border I think th
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Premium
I've never understood how since 2012, Ford has sold an aftermarket tune so aggressive it is lean AND knocks noticeably, particularly for a car that's so aggressive stock. For a Gen 3 the aftermarket options are probably a better option, particularly with an E85 option.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I've never understood how since 2012, Ford has sold an aftermarket tune so aggressive it is lean AND knocks noticeably, particularly for a car that's so aggressive stock. For a Gen 3 the aftermarket options are probably a better option, particularly with an E85 option.
After my experience with the this tune.... I would agree 100%. Except, I believe it's not running lean, it's overly aggressive timing. Bitch knocks like a Jehovah's witness. I would have done an E85 tune instead, but there is none where I live.
Sponsored