Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Has anyone with the tune got the latest recall done? Think I might slap this back on soon instead of waiting. The car is an absolute rocket on the stock tune now since I got the new plugs in and it's settled in a bit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Torque123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
Couldnā€™t find a thread, so posting here. What is the status on procal for 2022-2024, and would the GT tune work for Mach 1?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Couldnā€™t find a thread, so posting here. What is the status on procal for 2022-2024, and would the GT tune work for Mach 1?
No to both. 2024 may get a process package, that is yet to be seen.

Ford dropped development of the 2022-2023 tune for their reasons. Most speculate the expense of certifying CARB for such a limited run. Mach 1 and GT have enough difference that the same tune won't work between them. Not the least of which is a different throttle body.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I know it's winter, but just chiming in that everything is great with the proper spark plugs in the car. I can still hear what I believe to be cam phaser noise at lower RPM in certain situations, but that was the case with the stock tune as well, just less often. It lasts too long to be knock/ping and it seems related to the oil pressure bypass switch being open. The definite ping I got before is gone, and the difference in feel between the stock tune and FP tune isn't wildly different anymore. FP definitely feels stronger though, you can feel that the torque curve is flatter and the upper gears have more to give. Rev hang is pretty much non existent and it's just eager to rip now. Car doesn't feel like it's complaining anymore about it being on there.

We'll see what summer brings, but for now there's zero reason for me to do anything different with it. I doubt I can go back to stock anyway without replacing the intake manifold, there's definitely a limit to how many times you can do that 60 degree torque on the stock throttle body with the molded brass thread inserts. Things were starting to feel not great on the upper right with the last removal.

samjluck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I thought I would drop a review here for anyone that does not want to dig through 175 pages who is maybe looking for recent information on this kit. I have a 2020 GT A10 that I bought used with only having exhaust on it. Steeda H and little bullet muffles (Loud - borderline too loud). I drove the car stock for a bit, it had 18k on the clock when I got it in 2021. was not pleased with the shifting and decided to get a throttle position enhancer. There was a deal here via Solar. I used that until I pulled the trigger on this kit in November. Installed it over Xmas holiday.

The throttle enhancer was okay, but never really fixed the short comings I feel the car had. I've had many fords and they are known for poor factory shift strategies and weaker low end power. The Mustang is no different than all the rest. with the enhancer the foot response was better and shifts were improved, but not refined or smooth. I also had a situation where the car and rpm's would seek a balance when cold and actually feel like it was jerking and it mimicked quickly flooring the pedal and releasing at certain rpms. Only when cold and knowing it would happen you could feather it out and avoid it. So at the time, with the stiff cost of this kit I opted to deal with the enhancer for now.

So I opted in and got the kit. Cheers to Levittown Ford for a great price and a shipping cost reduction code, Thanks Benny!!!

Install was a breeze, having installed many CAI and TB's before. I did load up the ProCal first and I will caution people - take the voucher code in the box and make a fordperformance.com account first, register the code, then take the link provided and load local the ProCal software. Then go to the car and get the stock programming. Rehook to computer and get the performance tune. If you manually download the ProCal software and get the stock tune and try to get the performance tune (without registering) you will get bounced and that voucher will get locked and you will have to contact Fordperformance for a new voucher. This new kit has a replacement elbow for the brake booster line in the intake so there is no more chopping of aircraft carrier cover. well made kit and everything fit fine, even the hood seal. use your torque wrenches!!!

Loading tune on the car is a breeze and takes way less time than copying the stock tune to the ProCal

Initial thoughts on the setup and the first 80 miles over 2 days. Cold start is quieter, cruising rpms are quieter. Shifting is completely different/better on all levels. Pulls are firmer and smoother (smooth means fast, right?). In drive / normal its a different car. the car it should have been from Ford. I my case since I've had the enhancer on there so long, the shifts and pedal are a touch softer than where I had it adjusted. but no seeking and surging on occasion. around town driving this is nice, since when you get into it, the car responds quickly and firmly, but when you want to cruise it lets you do that. in my case the exhaust note is quieter and a little burbler than before (better to me).

thoughts after 3 daily drive days: D - normal is perfect for daily drive, everything is settled in and nice for in town traffic and highway traffic. Putting it in Sport on the gear shift lever and not touching the paddles is the deal for spirited driving though. that takes it up a notch with harder shifts and holding rpms nicely and increased exhaust note. even the downshifts are right and never seeking like before in s of s+. I'll also say that 55-90mph passing maneuvers happen way faster than prior and the time that it takes is a no lag situation now, so if you're going to go you better be ready and have a clear path ahead, the car rips and it does not take long to be in the criminal offence speed zone. whit this kit there is finally a reason for using D and S that are completely different, where stock it seemed gimmicky and minor differences that matter not at all.

I never used track mode so I'd guess its better there too, but have not tried yet.

To summarize its a different car with the kit and the way it should have been sold by Ford being a 460hp sports car. The kit is pricy, but if you hate the way your stock A10 car shifts and reacts to throttle inputs, this is the solution if you are going to stay N/A, non E85 and want to keep a warranty of sorts or out of warranty and want the car you thought you bought.

Last edited:

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
Samjluck i agree with you it makes it better in alot of ways after i installed the kit had some shifting problems then i check the transmission fluid it was almost a quart low i top it off and now it shifts great

Last edited:

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Has anyone with the tune got the latest recall done? Think I might slap this back on soon instead of waiting. The car is an absolute rocket on the stock tune now since I got the new plugs in and it's settled in a bit.
Yes. Sorta. What a mess... today is day 3 and they are still trying to sort it.

Sponsored

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
What happened?
Welp... They did the recall and for some reason they updated the PCM as well, basically putting a stock tune back on. I found this out, when they told me the car was done and I drove off the lot and it bucked like a bronco, the service engine soon light came on as well as other random warnings-- collision assist unavailable, active exhaust unavailable, etc. Had to tow it back in to them.

The latest information I have is they now put the FP tune back on, but cannot get the BCM to cooperate with it and are awaiting direction from Ford.

samjluck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I was going to wait on that recall and from that experience I'm not wrong. Waiting indefinitely for sure.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Welp... They did the recall and for some reason they updated the PCM as well, basically putting a stock tune back on. I found this out, when they told me the car was done and I drove off the lot and it bucked like a bronco, the service engine soon light came on as well as other random warnings-- collision assist unavailable, active exhaust unavailable, etc. Had to tow it back in to them.

The latest information I have is they now put the FP tune back on, but cannot get the BCM to cooperate with it and are awaiting direction from Ford.
Oh boy, lol. So basically anyone with the tune has to wait until FP releases a new revision of the tune is what it sounds like to me.

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Oh boy, lol. So basically anyone with the tune has to wait until FP releases a new revision of the tune is what it sounds like to me.
I am not so sure if that is true or if I just ran into an inexperienced tech. But honestly, it is probably both...