Sponsored

Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter?

bucsfan514

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT PP
Hey guys.

Looking to add a short throw in the near future, and the Ford Performance shifter definitely caught my attention. It's a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the competition, and seems to be a nice middle ground between a tight short shift, and still comfortable for daily driving. I like banging gears, but I'm not a quarter mile guy. More a daily driver that takes a trip to Mexico now and then, knahmean?

I know MGW and Barton seem to get a ton of praise, but the throws and tightness of their shifters seem like they might be a little too tight and aggressive for daily driving. That's where the appeal of the FRPP shifter comes in.

I literally never see anyone with one though, and nobody seems to have any good reviews of it on YouTube. Does anyone have one here? Or is anyone interested in changing my mind on MGW/Barton for a daily driver?
Sponsored

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
I spent a few months trying to decide on a shifter because I didn't want to deal with a super tight, way too closely gated shifter. I drove several MGW/Barton/Tri Ax/Street Tri-Ax cars.

The FP shifter replaces the same components that the Steeda Street Tri-Ax shifter replaces, so the feel will be pretty similar.

The Ford Performance short throw shifter may offer 15% reduction at a lower price, but you'd be better served replacing the entire shifter housing along with the linkage, rather than just replacing the pivot arm, which is what the Ford Performance shifter offers.

Much of the sloppiness in the OEM shifter comes from the shifter housing and linkage- with the FP option, you'll be left with the same inconsistency in shift feel but with shorter throw, and thats about it.

An MGW or Barton unit replaces shift linkage as well as the entire shifter housing, which means you receive an incredible reduction in unnecessary shifter movement- something you won't get with the FP shifter.

I'm currently running the shortest throw, lowest profile MGW shifter available (low profile x spec) on my daily driven GT and I've had 0 complaints in 8 months. That's 8 months of canyon runs, stop & go Los Angeles traffic, and hundreds of rushed neutral to 1st gear shifts, both NA and FI. I haven't missed a gear yet, and haven't had any issues with the tightness or side to side firmness.

Shifts feel the same at 2500 RPM and 7000 RPM, and the resistance that the OEM shifter exhibits when shifted at high RPM is gone. There is no unnecessary shifter movement, in any direction. I've driven several other MGW equipped mustangs and they all exhibited the same precise feel.

I have had ZERO added NVH from the shifter itself, but my shift knob developed a high RPM rattle that was due to being improperly tightened. Once tightened the rattle disappeared and I've been extremely happy.

If you're concerned about the shifts being too tight, the x spec/standard and the standard/low profile retain the same shifter feel without being as tight/closely gated.

Sorry for the wall of text, this is a subject I spent several months researching so I didn't make the wrong choice.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I'm currently running the shortest throw, lowest profile MGW shifter available (low profile x spec) on my daily driven GT and I've had 0 complaints in 8 months. That's 8 months of canyon runs, stop & go Los Angeles traffic, and hundreds of rushed neutral to 1st gear shifts, both NA and FI. I haven't missed a gear yet, and haven't had any issues with the tightness or side to side firmness.

Shifts feel the same at 2500 RPM and 7000 RPM, and the resistance that the OEM shifter exhibits when shifted at high RPM is gone. There is no unnecessary shifter movement, in any direction. I've driven several other MGW equipped mustangs and they all exhibited the same precise feel.

I have had ZERO added NVH from the shifter itself, but my shift knob developed a high RPM rattle that was due to being improperly tightened. Once tightened the rattle disappeared and I've been extremely happy.

If you're concerned about the shifts being too tight, the x spec/standard and the standard/low profile retain the same shifter feel without being as tight/closely gated.

Sorry for the wall of text, this is a subject I spent several months researching so I didn't make the wrong choice.
It's not too short? Or how about the shift knob height? Comfortable?

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i dd a mgw standard. its tight at first but not crazy loosens up just the right amount. very comfortable and no missed shifts. i love mine and have no complaints whatsoever with it.

OP
OP

bucsfan514

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT PP
I spent a few months trying to decide on a shifter because I didn't want to deal with a super tight, way too closely gated shifter. I drove several MGW/Barton/Tri Ax/Street Tri-Ax cars.

The FP shifter replaces the same components that the Steeda Street Tri-Ax shifter replaces, so the feel will be pretty similar.

The Ford Performance short throw shifter may offer 15% reduction at a lower price, but you'd be better served replacing the entire shifter housing along with the linkage, rather than just replacing the pivot arm, which is what the Ford Performance shifter offers.

Much of the sloppiness in the OEM shifter comes from the shifter housing and linkage- with the FP option, you'll be left with the same inconsistency in shift feel but with shorter throw, and thats about it.

An MGW or Barton unit replaces shift linkage as well as the entire shifter housing, which means you receive an incredible reduction in unnecessary shifter movement- something you won't get with the FP shifter.

No need to apologize, this was the exact kind of response I was looking for. Heavily leaning towards MGW after reading your posts and other like minded MGW users. Was it a difficult adjustment getting used to not having the pullup reverse feature?

Sponsored

triox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Piotr
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
I have the Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter in my 2018 GT and I'm quite happy with it. I went with FP because of warranty concerns.
Though I haven't driven Barton or MGW so can't compare to those, but comparing to stock it's night and day. I used to miss 3rd gear on the track all the time - never happened with FPSTS.
A couple of quirks to keep in mind though:
  • The Ford Racing knob is rather slippery, without gloves you may have to consciously grip it harder than the stock knob.
  • The plastic reverse lock out collar will start to resonate badly at mid revs and up. I'll be replacing it with aluminium one.

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
No need to apologize, this was the exact kind of response I was looking for. Heavily leaning towards MGW after reading your posts and other like minded MGW users. Was it a difficult adjustment getting used to not having the pullup reverse feature?
No it was pretty easy. I reached for it a few times and after a day of driving I was pretty accustomed to pushing down for reverse.
Sponsored