Sponsored

Ford Performance Power Pack 2

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sound tube delete will be because it becomes redundant once the CAI is in place as its source is the standard air box.

One thing I noticed with the auto (on PP1) is that the car will more readily shift down from 6th at motorway speeds, so might have the opposite effect to the manual where 6th becomes more useful. This certainly doesn't affect the driving experience in a negative way and you can always pop the shifter into 'S' to keep it in 6th when cruising if so desired.

I bought mine from the Rates Ford online store as it was discounted and installed (software only) myself. I did this because I wanted the option to return the stock tune for winter driving. You wouldn't be able to do this with PP2 though as the stock tune will cause problems with the uprated throttle body.
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
the 60hp gain sounds nice then I saw the supercharger kits, including fitting.............. Need a much bigger gas tank for that game on a DD!

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Yep got it on my auto makes box quicker to change it changes pretty quick and not a suggestion like it used to be if you use paddles .
also changes the map for the change so holds gears longer my only niggle is 50 is dead on the change from 5 to 6 if your just cruising about also changes cr exhaust sound louder slightly on cold start and normal driving.
i have th quad tip Ford performance by Borla bit pricey but dramatically changes the drive feel did to keep warranty so altho pricey its good would recommend

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
So I’ve finally decided to go for it with this Upgrade. As I’m still under warranty, I will probably buy and get it installed from a main dealer. I’ve had one recommendation for Gates in Stevenage who did this for a 6G member. Any other suggestions? Looking at NW London, Berks, Bucks, Herts, East Essex area.

Cheers
David

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Sound tube delete will be because it becomes redundant once the CAI is in place as its source is the standard air box.

One thing I noticed with the auto (on PP1) is that the car will more readily shift down from 6th at motorway speeds, so might have the opposite effect to the manual where 6th becomes more useful. This certainly doesn't affect the driving experience in a negative way and you can always pop the shifter into 'S' to keep it in 6th when cruising if so desired.

I bought mine from the Rates Ford online store as it was discounted and installed (software only) myself. I did this because I wanted the option to return the stock tune for winter driving. You wouldn't be able to do this with PP2 though as the stock tune will cause problems with the uprated throttle body.
How did you find the PP1 notable difference in power?

Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How did you find the PP1 notable difference in power?
To be honest, it’s not massively noticeable. I expected more given the high torque gains in the low rev range. It’s probably more apparent on a manual where you can feel the acceleration mor directly. I didn’t think PP2 would be worth it for me just you have a few additional HP up top, but I think the uprated throttle body would make a more noticeable difference to the throttle response. If there were a way to upgrade to PP2 without incurring the full cost, I would give that a go.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
To be honest, it’s not massively noticeable. I expected more given the high torque gains in the low rev range. It’s probably more apparent on a manual where you can feel the acceleration mor directly. I didn’t think PP2 would be worth it for me just you have a few additional HP up top, but I think the uprated throttle body would make a more noticeable difference to the throttle response. If there were a way to upgrade to PP2 without incurring the full cost, I would give that a go.
Thanks for that - I checked with my insurance and they want an additional 55 quid to add pp1 and 111 for pp2. Not sure its worth it. Did your MPG improve? Cars I have had mapped previously always got better mpg.

Fioravanti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Guard Green
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of research into these Performance Packs, but I can't seem to find anyone who has bought and installed the US FPP2 on a UK car. I don't see why it wouldn't work, as you send your VIN to Ford to get the calibration file. Has anyone got any experience?

Cheers!

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of research into these Performance Packs, but I can't seem to find anyone who has bought and installed the US FPP2 on a UK car. I don't see why it wouldn't work, as you send your VIN to Ford to get the calibration file. Has anyone got any experience?

Cheers!
Believe it's been tried and Ford know it's a European car so wont work.

Fioravanti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Guard Green
Believe it's been tried and Ford know it's a European car so wont work.
Thanks for your response. It certainly seems to be the case.

The Ford racing website states the following on the registration page, "
International Customers
Customers outside of North America should contact their Ford Performance Dealer for assistance with ProCal and Engine Registration."

i think I will just go with the FPP1 pack. Seems a total ripoff compared to what our American friends pay, but I think the car really needs it. It just feels artificially strangled low down in the rev range.

Sponsored

Fioravanti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Guard Green
Thanks for your response. It certainly seems to be the case.

The Ford racing website states the following on the registration page, "
International Customers
Customers outside of North America should contact their Ford Performance Dealer for assistance with ProCal and Engine Registration."

i think I will just go with the FPP1 pack. Seems a total ripoff compared to what our American friends pay, but I think the car really needs it. It just feels artificially strangled low down in the rev range.
OK, after further research, I can confirm categorically that a US purchased FPP1/2/3 will not work on a European car. I went with the FPP1 in the end, bought through Rates-Ford's Ebay store, with a helpful 6% discount.

I'm going to team it up with a Borla S-Type axle back. I have come a long way since I started looking at a US bought FPP2 and FP by Borla Cat-back. What a journey. I will report back on my experience of installation.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
OK, after further research, I can confirm categorically that a US purchased FPP1/2/3 will not work on a European car. I went with the FPP1 in the end, bought through Rates-Ford's Ebay store, with a helpful 6% discount.

I'm going to team it up with a Borla S-Type axle back. I have come a long way since I started looking at a US bought FPP2 and FP by Borla Cat-back. What a journey. I will report back on my experience of installation.
That's great, thanks. Be keep to know your experience. I am going back and fourth whether to add it or not. Just it's not cheap and the amount it puts my premium up by. Does it effect yours much? Are you auto or manual? I'm manual and have the borla touring exhaust so very similar setup

Fioravanti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Guard Green
That's great, thanks. Be keep to know your experience. I am going back and fourth whether to add it or not. Just it's not cheap and the amount it puts my premium up by. Does it effect yours much? Are you auto or manual? I'm manual and have the borla touring exhaust so very similar setup
Mines a manual too. I'm having to move insurers :-), goes up by about ÂŁ100, so not bad all things considered. I am continually debating whether the two upgrades are worth the nearly ÂŁ1,600 outlay, but I've taken the plunge now :-). I have had very good experience in the past with NA remaps, they really free up the engine, remove rev-hang and increase throttle response, plus removing that 6,800 brick wall rev-limiter. I'm hoping it makes the car drive like a 5.0 V8 should. I really couldn't justify the cost of the PP2 here, and unlike most people, I actually like the sound tube, it uses the actual intake pulses unlike the computer generated nonsense seen used by other marques. It should be a little rortier with the K&N also.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for that - I checked with my insurance and they want an additional 55 quid to add pp1 and 111 for pp2. Not sure its worth it. Did your MPG improve? Cars I have had mapped previously always got better mpg.
I can't say I've noticed mush difference in the way of MPG, but my driving pattern is a little irregular in terms of the types of journeys I make (and sometimes driving style) so it would have to be a big difference for me to notice anyway.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

I'll be keen to hear what you think too, I think it will be far more noticeable having a good chunk of low down torque in a manual, and a sharper throttle response.

I bought mine from Rates Ford too. When I received it, the package wasn't sealed and I had difficulty installing the software (had to get Ford Performance US to reset the the pro cal tool/software for me) I was suspicious that someone else had tried to use the device and I'd been sent a return that had been married to another car. I contacted Rates, they never got back to me, but I'd resolved the issue anyway so left it at that.
Sponsored