Sponsored

Ford Performance GT350 shift knob

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Not sure who makes the Shelby shift knob for Shelby but it's a P.O.S. I can't believe that the people that run the company actually know the quality (or lack thereof) of these things that the Shelby name is on. It's just a cheap piece of plastic definitely not as weighted as stock. The bottom of the plastic ball was jagged like it was cut out with a chisel. The top part that was glued on had a line around it where it didn't match up to the body perfectly. And, the sticker (it's not engraved) where the "R" and the "6" were at was so far off from the center that it was distorted.

I had it on my car for about a week and a half before my Billetworkz knob came in. I tossed this in the trash because I didn't feel right about selling it (or giving it away) to anyone.

20220310_114457.jpg

20220310_112729.jpg

20220310_112251.jpg

20220310_112336.jpg
China strikes again!!
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Before I make a comment on the China statement, let me say if at all possible I donā€™t by anything from China. Pretty impossible to do but I try.

China only makes what they are instructed to make as far as quality. As an importer you call the shotsā€¦meaning if you want quality, youā€™ll get it. Unfortunately we no longer want quality, just cheap crap, for the most part.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
China only makes what they are instructed to make as far as quality. As an importer you call the shotsā€¦meaning if you want quality, youā€™ll get it. Unfortunately we no longer want quality, just cheap crap, for the most part.
Fred nailed this for USA... however, China actually does make high quality precision equipment, products and materials.
I have a co-worker from France who was amazed at the "China Crap" in the states, he indicated that China exports quality products and cheap products, and that there is no market in the US for the higher quality products from China due to the US wanting less expensive items. Items he had purchased from China while in France were high quality, unlike the similar ones he purchased while here in the States.
His account of quality is from high tech laboratory equipment purchases.
He indicated that we are globally looked at as the Wal-Mart buyers of the world.
(I reminded him as to who stormed the beaches of Normandy)
I have never seen any of this "high-tech quality" China stuff, but I have no reason to doubt him on his claim.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure who makes the Shelby shift knob for Shelby but it's a P.O.S. I can't believe that the people that run the company actually know the quality (or lack thereof) of these things that the Shelby name is on. It's just a cheap piece of plastic definitely not as weighted as stock. The bottom of the plastic ball was jagged like it was cut out with a chisel. The top part that was glued on had a line around it where it didn't match up to the body perfectly. And, the sticker (it's not engraved) where the "R" and the "6" were at was so far off from the center that it was distorted.

I had it on my car for about a week and a half before my Billetworkz knob came in. I tossed this in the trash because I didn't feel right about selling it (or giving it away) to anyone.

20220310_114457.jpg

20220310_112729.jpg

20220310_112251.jpg

20220310_112336.jpg
I know you shouldnā€™t have too, but the rough underside is a very easy fix.

Iā€™m not sure how you would fix your other issues though ā€¦ :frown:

I didnā€™t photo it, but my Ford Performance knob had the base issue and had an all overall ā€˜unpolishedā€™ almost ā€˜usedā€™ appearance straight out of the OE box from Ford.

I wasnā€™t particularly concerned as I was colour coding it, but you can see the dull finish here :

1670148759848.jpeg

Look at the reflection of the ceiling lights and the swirls :

1670149036313.jpeg

The swirls clean up really well and very easily by hand using Meguiars scratch x.

The base issue is sorted by placing a piece of wet n dry (I used 1500ā€™s) on a flat worktop and just rubbing the knob on it with even strokes.

When itā€™s all done :

1670149113941.jpeg

For my car and my taste, I ā€˜reallyā€™ liked the FP knob and I havenā€™t seen anything to start me thinking about changing it :

1670149266117.jpeg

WD :like:

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think I made a similar comment when I originally posted the pictures on my build thread :giggle:

I think itā€™s the only thing my misses agrees with me on ā€¦ :cwl:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
So Iā€™ve decided to enhance my knob polishing skills ā€¦ :giggle:

Iā€™ve picked up a bit of a winter project, but I figured the first step might come in useful here :like:

My new to me / second hand off the forum knob came with an additional chip :

1673381331797.jpeg

And the typical poor finish around the base (although this one is better than I remember mine being) :

1673381389606.jpeg

1673381410829.jpeg

After a quick rub on some wet n dry :

1673381453282.jpeg

1673381472836.jpeg

I measured before and after and I had to take 0.95mm off to remove the chip - if it was just the rough finish, I guess about 0.25mm would have easily done it :like:

Iā€™m aware that it could make hiding the top of the reverse collar a bit more tricky, but I think the knobs probably have larger tolerances that might affect that fit (like the depth of the relief and the start position of the thread on the insert compared to the one on the shaft etc).

My recollection of the first knob I did though is that it ended up with a bigger flat - but that one still fits my car / covers the reverse collar perfectly.

The size of the flat wonā€™t really matter for this project anyway though :like:

Sponsored