Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
And the hack on Colonial Pipeline for the southeast isn't going to help unless they get it fixed within a few weeks. I was getting pissed at CNN for their coverage on how gas is going to run out this summer due to the shortage of CDL drivers. Now this ransomware attack only helps their dire prediction.

It is becoming more clear that the recovery from C19 might be a little rough going.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It is becoming more clear that the recovery from C19 might be a little rough going.
I'm afraid it's more like we have DECADES of stupid to unwind. We should be so self-sufficient in so many areas China wouldn't have a prayer. But we've sold our future and our 'security' for quick cash and instant gratification and we either turn it around ala '10 years to put a man on a moon' or we suffer huge defeats in actual (or virtual) economic or military contests.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t comprehend. If you printed your own money, you could afford anything for a little while. The treasury issues the bond and the fed buys them.

And another check is guaranteed. Our economy is K shaped at this point. The slice of pie at the bottom is almost gone. Universal basic income is almost guaranteed at this point.

For the record I am not for this path but I am a realist.
I hope you are wrong, but it is looking that way. When/if the handouts stop, people will get their asses back to work.

It'll probably boil down to which party has control come midterms and eventually next presidential. Pretty much the only thing stopping Democrats from barreling through legislation right now is due to Manchin (mainly) and Sinema.

I'm no fan of either side, but I do believe balance helps keep compromise alive despite the frustration of stalling.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
We were buying all of our computer chips, medical stuff as well as everything else from China. What did anyone with half a Brain Cell think was going to happen. Daaa
Taiwan*

Computer chip production is incredibly complex and expensive to set up, so it's going to take a while to bridge the gap.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Taiwan*

Computer chip production is incredibly complex and expensive to set up, so it's going to take a while to bridge the gap.
Yep, one American company announced they will start making chips, 52 month lead time.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, one American company announced they will start making chips, 52 month lead time.
the main problem isn't the actual chips. It's the packaging side.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
When/if the handouts stop, people will get their asses back to work.
The data does not support this being an actual thing. Try talking to people instead of parroting what a business interest is telling you.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The data does not support this being an actual thing. Try talking to people instead of parroting what a business interest is telling you.
like this?
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/s...workers-now-make-more-unemployment-their-jobs

Trucking companies are screaming for workers. Retail and other high-touch are as well. A certain percentage of people are perfectly happy to sit on their duff and do nothing. IMO 'assistance' should be just barely enough to prevent starvation, nothing more.

But what the gov't (state and fed) has done over this Covid farce is absolutely criminal. If they're going to forcibly take people's jobs and livlihoods away "for the greater good" then the gov't should have cut every single previously employed worker a check for 80% of their gross every single week since late Feb/March. If we're going to print money, let's REALLY PRINT SOME DAMN MONEY. The IRS knew EXACTLY who was employed and by whom. To get your 'wrongfully unemployed by gov't dictat' payment would simply have HR periodically certify that they were on the payroll and denied the opportunity to work. If they could have come into work or been productive in some other capacity HR marks them ineligible and the spigot goes instantly dry.

Last edited:

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
like this?
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/s...workers-now-make-more-unemployment-their-jobs

Trucking companies are screaming for workers. Retail and other high-touch are as well. A certain percentage of people are perfectly happy to sit on their duff and do nothing. IMO 'assistance' should be just barely enough to prevent starvation, nothing more.
Sounds like a reflection of absolutely awful wages. If an extra $300 a month in unemployment makes you skip your job, your job pays like shit. Also Zero Hedge is a partisan hack site, so lol

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I'm afraid it's more like we have DECADES of stupid to unwind. We should be so self-sufficient in so many areas China wouldn't have a prayer. But we've sold our future and our 'security' for quick cash and instant gratification and we either turn it around ala '10 years to put a man on a moon' or we suffer huge defeats in actual (or virtual) economic or military contests.
We are all going guilty of it, always shopping for the cheapest price... Hello Walmart...

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Don't know why were talking about this but I will chime in. Yes, he is 100% correct. People on the Goverment unemployment are making
Sounds like a reflection of absolutely awful wages. If an extra $300 a month in unemployment makes you skip your job, your job pays like shit. Also Zero Hedge is a partisan hack site, so lol
If your going to comment, at least have your facts straight.
- Average State Unemployment PER-WEEK: $256
- Federal Boost to Unemployment PER-WEEK: $300
TOTAL People are making to sit at home and not work $556
**That equates to a $14 and hour Job X 40 Hours a week.
These are facts. I have friends who own businesses and they cannot get people to work.
**And YES, If I could do that I couldn't say It wouldn't be tempting if I was only making $10-$15 an Hours.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
like this?

But what the gov't (state and fed) has done over this Covid farce is absolutely criminal. If they're going to forcibly take people's jobs and livlihoods away "for the greater good" then the gov't should have cut every single previously employed worker a check for 80% of their gross every single week since late Feb/March. If we're going to print money, let's REALLY PRINT SOME DAMN MONEY.
This thread is about the "Chip shortage, now rubber shortage". Rehashing the same Covid arguments over and over is pointless. We are in difficult times. There are product shortages all over the place. There are jobs out there without people who want them. Both situations created by a worldwide pandemic. Where it came from, etc., etc., is also pointless. It's here and it is being dealt with. We are all going to suffer price increases and service shortages regardless of anything that is or is not done in Washington, DC.

If you buying a car is expensive try buying a house. Total sellers market. My neighbor across the street from me has listed a house valued at maybe $349k to $379K for $489.9K. And I'm betting they are going to get it. New homes are skyrocketing too because of lumber shortages. My daughters less than 2 year old home is now selling for ten of thousands more in the same community.

Now on the other hand my younger daughter had Covid and was quarantined for two weeks. She is still waiting for her regular unemployment. She will, of course take the extra $400 but she not looking for it. She just wants what she is actually entitled too, nothing more. Losing two weeks of pay hurts.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If an extra $300 a month in unemployment makes you skip your job, your job pays like shit.
Brian, do you know how many millions of people in this country work a full time job and make a wage that actually puts them below the poverty level. Yeah their jobs pay like shit but that's what's out there. Why do you think there are so many who want a proper minimum wage.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Brian, do you know how many millions of people in this country work a full time job and make a wage that actually puts them below the poverty level. Yeah their jobs pay like shit but that's what's out there. Why do you think there are so many who want a proper minimum wage.
unfortunately changing the cost of labor by fiat is only going to cause some portion of those 'hard-working poor' to lose their jobs. The answer is to protect the domestic workforce - slam the damn border shut, forcibly march all illegals back to where they came from at point of bayonet, and making it irresistible to have industry located here. That means shutting down the advantages that literal slave wage conditions and rampant pollution gives to places like China, Vietnam, India, Pakistan, and many more.

Why does Taiwan in the guise of TSMC rule the world on contract manufacture of IC? Because we let them. Micron and Intel, AMD, Texas Semi all had plants here. They are mostly gone. Why? It's cheaper over there because there is no OHSA, no EPA, no LRB, and no unions, no HR, no 'affirmative action', no Rainbow Putsch, no Sierra Club. American industrial might exists DESPITE all these agencies and the executive and legislative branches doing their level best to eradicate it. Having healthy industry does not mean we must therefore choke on our air or turn green from polluted water.

To paraphrase Moses, "Let my American Industry Go".
Sponsored

Last edited: