Sponsored

Ford approved new engine (2020 mustang gt)

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
BMW V8s in 1990s had major problems with cylinder coatings degradation from low grade high sufur N. American fuel.....lots of replacements.

Wouldn't surprise me if some of the bio fuels and so called renewable fuel LOL causing issues....
They were known to be real problematic V8s for sure. Most know to stay away from the V8. Especially out of warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Quick update, I just got my car back with the new short block and am "breaking it in" again. I actually had the dealership fill it with 5w20 full synthetic instead of the blend and ate the cost of just the oil. I might switch over to 5w30 FS on my 1st oil change but if there's no consumption and everything running great, I'll probably just go back to the 5w20 blend, lots of other GT owners use that with no issues.

The tech that worked on my car finished it in 4 days... so I waited 5 days and got my car back, mind blown, which is incredibly impressive and slightly concerning at the same time lol. However, he's the only one who does the engine work and major engine jobs at this dealership so my advisor tells me he's very experienced.

Wish me luck yall.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
GL!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Quick update, I just got my car back with the new short block and am "breaking it in" again. I actually had the dealership fill it with 5w20 full synthetic instead of the blend and ate the cost of just the oil. I might switch over to 5w30 FS on my 1st oil change but if there's no consumption and everything running great, I'll probably just go back to the 5w20 blend, lots of other GT owners use that with no issues.

The tech that worked on my car finished it in 4 days... so I waited 5 days and got my car back, mind blown, which is incredibly impressive and slightly concerning at the same time lol. However, he's the only one who does the engine work and major engine jobs at this dealership so my advisor tells me he's very experienced.

Wish me luck yall.
You'll be fine, 4 days is a pretty reasonable time frame for an expert taking his time on it

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
You'll be fine, 4 days is a pretty reasonable time frame for an expert taking his time on it
What oil are you running if you don't mind me asking? After reading so many options on here, I don't know if it's worth switching over to 5w30 full synthetic on my 1st oil change or stick with 5w20 blend. Seems like whichever weight of oil, most gt owners are using Full Synthetic at the very least. Your take?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What oil are you running if you don't mind me asking? After reading so many options on here, I don't know if it's worth switching over to 5w30 full synthetic on my 1st oil change or stick with 5w20 blend. Seems like whichever weight of oil, most gt owners are using Full Synthetic at the very least. Your take?
Full synthetic, 5w20 or 5w30. Your choice. I only run 5w30 in summer because it gets into the triple digits. But honestly it doesn't matter much at all as long as you do 5000 mile changes.

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Full synthetic, 5w20 or 5w30. Your choice. I only run 5w30 in summer because it gets into the triple digits. But honestly it doesn't matter much at all as long as you do 5000 mile changes.
Do you notice less mpg with the 5w30 Or is not significant enough? I definitely don't mind losing some mpg if the 5w30 gives better protection.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Do you notice less mpg with the 5w30 Or is not significant enough? I definitely don't mind losing some mpg if the 5w30 gives better protection.
I didn't notice anything negative mpg wise. If you want the extra hot protection from 5w30, go for it. There's no serious deficiency with a good 5w20 though. It just doesn't tolerate extreme heat as well, nor does it last as long in the needed spec range due to shearing and additive breakdown.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I've been running only 5W20 Semi-Synthetic Motorcraft and still on the first engine so far :)

GWraith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Phase 2 Roushcharged
His "2k rattle" wasn't like the rest of ours. It was much worse sounding. He has a thread about it. Worth the read. fairly crazy story.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rattle-update-2018-gt.166652/
I don't know man my 2k rattle almost sounds like old school hydrolic lifters. Shit is loud it I don't have music on you can hear it over traffic, windows and all.

Comes on at 1.8K and disappears at 2.2K. Every gear everytime. I have a Roush blower and haven't had any issues thus far other than a Dyno issue Roush is looking into on my 21, but I'm leaning toward the shop I used was inexperienced and screwed it up. I have a thread about it up right now.
Sponsored