Sponsored

Ford announces Google partnership as its preferred Cloud provider beginning 2023

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
What is so great about it? Not being flip, but all I see is another way to wring money out of consumers.
Android apps, Android auto (likely wireless) and Google Assistant \ AI. There's a lot of pros with it. I would absolutely love an Android based OS over Sync any day.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
What is so great about it? Not being flip, but all I see is another way to wring money out of consumers.
From a general usability standpoint.... More frequent and easy updates and likely a FAR more stable and fluid system. Add to it the ability to support android apps natively, there would finally be a decent built in navigation that would be up to date as well as the potential to have streaming music apps work without the requirement of a phone.

This conveniently lines up with the S650 so lets hope it is one of the models to get the new system.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Google has my life pretty much. I'm not that interesting. Go for it. Wireless updates that actually work will be welcome.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Carry a smartphone? If so, it already is....
Very true, some is inescapable. However, to directly answer your question, no, I do not have a personal smartphone. Either way, the deal is undoubtedly based on the ability of each company to more efficiently monetize personal data. It is what it is.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Personal data will be collected and shared even more efficiently...
It already is being collected with the modem inside of your car. Not sure about the technical details but I am sure this started with the onset of car apps like Ford Pass. Ford collects your data and shares it with third parties (Including automotive insurance companies).

Not really sure how the data collected can be shared more efficiently when there is literally a broadband modem inside your car that literally records just about everything except for your name and social security number (which it probably already knows from the paperwork you gave Ford).

If we could put a price tag on our data we'd all be millionaires

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It already is being collected with the modem inside of your car. Not sure about the technical details but I am sure this started with the onset of car apps like Ford Pass. Ford collects your data and shares it with third parties (Including automotive insurance companies).

Not really sure how the data collected can be shared more efficiently when there is literally a broadband modem inside your car that literally records just about everything except for your name and social security number (which it probably already knows from the paperwork you gave Ford).

1. Took out the modem fuse--fact

2. EU laws prohibit the collection that occurs back home (US); insurance company would get nothing from here even if I re-enabled the modem--fact

3. Linking to google will most definitely come with more efficient collection capability. Otherwise, it would not be in Google's interest to make the deal--opinion

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

It only goes to your insurance company if you allow it. I got a card the other day for "FordInsure" which was offering me a discount based on the data they pulled from my car. I LOL'd real hard at that. Yeah, pull my data showing me doing Mustang related things, I'm sure I'll get a fat discount on insurance.

TomOz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 Ruby Red, 5.0 / 10 speed
Carry a smartphone? If so, it already is....
Yes to smartphone, no to it being an Apple or Android based phone.
Linux smartphone is where I'm heading.

From an article I read:

"The companies will also form a group, Team Upshift, to explore uses of data to develop new retail, create new ownership offers and other services for Ford customers."
Translation: Ford want to monetise the data they collect

"Ford customer data will not be handed over to Google or Google advertisers, Ford vice president for strategy, David McClelland, said during a conference call."
Translation: Ford want to monetise the data themselves

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
It only goes to your insurance company if you allow it. I got a card the other day for "FordInsure" which was offering me a discount based on the data they pulled from my car. I LOL'd real hard at that. Yeah, pull my data showing me doing Mustang related things, I'm sure I'll get a fat discount on insurance.
Where is the option for allowing it? I honestly had no idea about all of this data collection stuff from the car until I saw a post here and started looking into it.

Interesting that they sent you a discount though.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Where is the option for allowing it? I honestly had no idea about all of this data collection stuff from the car until I saw a post here and started looking into it.

Interesting that they sent you a discount though.
You will get a request from your insurance company. Ford, and all of the other manufacturers are not allowed to send data to insurance companies unless approved by the insured.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, but this time we're not talking just about Ford. We're talking about Google. And while Ford might have some scruples when it comes to using your data without permission, I'm not sure Google has any.
I could trust Ford, but Google not so much.
Sponsored