Sponsored

Ford announces Google partnership as its preferred Cloud provider beginning 2023

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I think you meant you trust google less than ford, but that's not saying much :)
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, I meant that even though I don't like Ford's gathering of personal data, I trust (somewhat) that they won't use it or sell it without my consent. Whereas I'm pretty sure Google would.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes, I meant that even though I don't like Ford's gathering of personal data, I trust (somewhat) that they won't use it or sell it without my consent. Whereas I'm pretty sure Google would.
Not sure about on your side of the pond, but over here we still have some rules that need to be followed. This is one of them and applies to both Ford and Google.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
We have similar rules here, but they do not amount to much if an implicit approval is buried deep into the dozens of pages of the user's agreement, which you must accept in order to use the product or service in question.
I personally know people who keep seeing ads on Facebook and Google for things they just happened to mention in a casual conversation in their home. They have Android phones and use Google Assistant. And I'm sure they've agreed to it by default, simply by activating the assistant. Nobody reads the fine print. :)

Last edited:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
If it's as buggy as most of the Android apps I currently have it'll be a downgrade.

Like others have mentioned it won't be as secure ... would've preferred if they just stayed with BlackBerry QNX - if there's one thing BB knows how to do, it's security.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....For the folks disabling your modems and antennas, go get your tin hats because you all know Google likes to “tap in” to your online presence.... LMAO
You think they don't???

You don't think this won't lead to tickets in the mail, summons, people's doors being kicked in and being arrested for their driving all due to the info Google will collect?

I would hazard a guess that the first step will be insurance companies being notified by Google when drivers speed. The claim will be, since a particular user's phone was connected to the car, that's all the proof needed to show who was driving.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You think they don't???

You don't think this won't lead to tickets in the mail, summons, people's doors being kicked in and being arrested for their driving all due to the info Google will collect?

I would hazard a guess that the first step will be insurance companies being notified by Google when drivers speed. The claim will be, since a particular user's phone was connected to the car, that's all the proof needed to show who was driving.
The point being:
What are you using to log into this site to read and post? What and who did you sign up with to get that provider service on your XYZ device to get online to do .... well almost anything in today’s world. Your personal data has already been mined, way before any vehicle had such equipment installed. Your data was being mined the day you signed ANY paper document with your personal info, period - before the 90’s and the “tech age” sprouted.

Disconnecting internal vehicle modems, antennas or modules will eventually lead to inoperation and/or DTC’s because vehicles are becoming more and more attached digitally, period.

Soon enough disconnecting something will most likely result in warranty issues - because the revised wording in vehicle warranty lingo will be along the lines of “tampering”...

It’s coming... and don’t even think the vehicle manufacturers are not coming up with ways to lock out PCM/modules/As Built data to prevent DIY Forscan’rs....

There’s already been multiple internal Ford SSM/TSB’s notifying dealerships that if vehicles are coming in with modified As Built, added modules or equipment that was non-standard based on the As Built, that it will not be covered under Warranty (ie: new car, Powertrain or ESP).

As the progression gets closer and closer to more EV’s being on the roads - trust me, it’s going to be harder for the average DIYer to “disconnect”, because a disconnect will most likely render another system or module inop, affecting drivability.

:)

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You think they don't???

I don't think they'll ever go that far. I can, however, picture an increase in targeted ads based on your driving locations and habits.

On the bright side, we might get more in the way of UI customization (an area where Sync is lacking awfully badly) and properly working updates. And who knows, maybe we'll be able to root our devices, after which the sky will be the limit. :rockon:

Last edited:

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The point being:
What are you using to log into this site to read and post? What and who did you sign up with to get that provider service on your XYZ device to get online to do .... well almost anything in today’s world. Your personal data has already been mined, way before any vehicle had such equipment installed. Your data was being mined the day you signed ANY paper document with your personal info, period - before the 90’s and the “tech age” sprouted.

Disconnecting internal vehicle modems, antennas or modules will eventually lead to inoperation and/or DTC’s because vehicles are becoming more and more attached digitally, period.

Soon enough disconnecting something will most likely result in warranty issues - because the revised wording in vehicle warranty lingo will be along the lines of “tampering”...

It’s coming... and don’t even think the vehicle manufacturers are not coming up with ways to lock out PCM/modules/As Built data to prevent DIY Forscan’rs....

There’s already been multiple internal Ford SSM/TSB’s notifying dealerships that if vehicles are coming in with modified As Built, added modules or equipment that was non-standard based on the As Built, that it will not be covered under Warranty (ie: new car, Powertrain or ESP).

As the progression gets closer and closer to more EV’s being on the roads - trust me, it’s going to be harder for the average DIYer to “disconnect”, because a disconnect will most likely render another system or module inop, affecting drivability.

:)
That's not the topic of discussion. The topic was whether or not you believe (you put a laughing smiley, I couldn't tell) that Google, and "Big Tech" in general, is mining data for whatever uses it wants to. Including monitoring how you drive, and (sooner or later) reporting it's findings to LEAs and insurance companies.

They are, and it's going to get worse. It looks like Florida is taking legislative action on this front. Attempting to slam shut the door on Big Tech, and their intrusion into our collective lives.

Make no mistake; Big Tech is possibly the greatest threat to our Republic, freedom and liberty at this very moment.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
That's not the topic of discussion. The topic was whether or not you believe (you put a laughing smiley, I couldn't tell) that Google, and "Big Tech" in general, is mining data for whatever uses it wants to. Including monitoring how you drive, and (sooner or later) reporting it's findings to LEAs and insurance companies.

They are, and it's going to get worse. It looks like Florida is taking legislative action on this front. Attempting to slam shut the door on Big Tech, and their intrusion into our collective lives.

Make no mistake; Big Tech is possibly the greatest threat to our Republic, freedom and liberty at this very moment.
Well first of all any data collection by insurance companies would require approval by the policy holder.....

Second of all, if you are so worried about "Big Tech" intruding in on your life, stop using it..... Get rid of your phone, computer, Internet service provider, online banking, etc... Get a 90's era vehicle and go about your life how you want. Nothing is stopping you from doing that.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well first of all any data collection by insurance companies would require approval by the policy holder.....
I don't think you've understood what I posted. I wrote about Google mining driver's data (speed, location, etc.) and then providing insurance companies with it.

Second of all, if you are so worried about "Big Tech" intruding in on your life, stop using it..... Get rid of your phone, computer, Internet service provider, online banking, etc... Get a 90's era vehicle and go about your life how you want. Nothing is stopping you from doing that.
I wasn't asking for advice on the topic.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I wrote about Google mining driver's data (speed, location, etc.) and then providing insurance companies with it.
....It still requires the approval of the policy holder for the insurance company to use that data to affect your policy even if it is collected by Google...

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....It still requires the approval of the policy holder for the insurance company to use that data to affect your policy even if it is collected by Google...
I love your naiveté'.

Guaranteed Google is already sharing the speed & location data of users of Google Maps and Waze with the insurance industry. Somewhere, somehow, it's already happening.

Insurance rates will rise because of it.
Sponsored