Sponsored

For the MT owners: how do you downshift?

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
might be boring but it's sensible
Double clutch and rev match all your downshifts for a month and you won't ever even think about it again. I haven't had a downshift without rev matching in almost 4 years and haven't even thought about when I do it in almost as long. It's as second nature as knowing where each gear is without looking.

Sponsored

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
Ever since I went to the Bob Bondurant driving school back in the mid 90's I've been heel and toe and rev matching to keep in practice. Now it's just second nature to do it during the majority of my driving...I don't have to drive that way, I just prefer too whether it's in my Honda Civic or my Mustang.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
I'm still trying to figure out how to rev match correctly . It's pretty frustrating

OP
OP
Supa LA

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
True that, but OP seemed to have issues with simple, every day driving.
Once you get the basics down, then you can get on to the advanced stuff they teach you at racing school.
I don't have any issues doing it. It was the people I let drive my car that didn't and it just made me cringe cause the car acted as if it didn't like it. It could've been their clutch release tho. Driving these cars for the first time it's a little different than most manuals, I assume.
Double clutch and rev match all your downshifts for a month and you won't ever even think about it again. I haven't had a downshift without rev matching in almost 4 years and haven't even thought about when I do it in almost as long. It's as second nature as knowing where each gear is without looking.
This is pretty much my mentality. It's second nature now.
Very Quickly...
Well, yea!

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
i'll never ever double clutch in 2015 as I've said...also i've said 3 times already i blip but i do not if i'm under 2k rpm as it really make no difference

Sponsored

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
with my left foot and right hand

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
There are two ways of "rev-matching." The first is to downshift before the engine is ready, in which case you would "blip" the throttle to match. The second would be to downshift when the engine is at a low rpm. I personally use the second method more frequently than the first. Another way people usually do it is by easing the clutch out. Lots of hate mail around here for that method.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Yeah, no real reason the rev-match downshifts unless racing and going through the gears all the time around the course. I've rode along with some people driving on the streets that will come up on a stop sign and will shift from 5th to 4th, 4th, to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. I'm thinking WTF dude ... just coast down in 5th gear until you're down to about 1200 RPM and pop it into neutral and brake the last 50 feet. Much easier on everything.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
^^^ Yeah, no real reason the rev-match downshifts unless racing and going through the gears all the time around the course. I've rode along with some people driving on the streets that will come up on a stop sign and will shift from 5th to 4th, 4th, to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. I'm thinking WTF dude ... just coast down in 5th gear until you're down to about 1200 RPM and pop it into neutral and brake the last 50 feet. Much easier on everything.
I am all for rev matching and downshift engine braking but going through all the gears is over doing it. Lol pick one gear and drop down to engine brake from there (4th or 5th usually) then brake after 1500 or so. If you use the clutch that much you aren't even preventing excessive wear lol

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I was taught to double-clutch and heel/toe when I was 14, and never have stopped. Doesn't matter if it's a Honda, a Mustang or a Ford F-150, that's how I drive it. It's part of the fun for me. It makes everything smoother. I may have paid for an extra clutch or two along the way, but it hasn't been a big deal. I wouldn't do it any differently.
Sponsored