Sponsored

Fob buttons getting pressed in pocket

MNDZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just got my car a couple days ago and the first day, I'm about to reverse out of my driveway and I pop the trunk on accident. Pulled handbrake and got out to close it. Now I'm paranoid I'll do it all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
I have found the buttons to be stiff enough that I dont accidently press them. And if I do Im out of range where it doesnt matter. That being said I agree that it would be nice to have not buttoms with the one touch entry and lock. That would be kind of nice and if the keyfob was a bit smaller!

DIBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB S550 EB
I've only popped the trunk once accidentally, but I've set off the panic a few times. I need another pocket. My house keys and vehicle keys go in my left pocket, but my bug goes in my right pocket. I absolutely can't carry anything in the pocket with my bug.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
I've only popped the trunk once accidentally, but I've set off the panic a few times. I need another pocket. My house keys and vehicle keys go in my left pocket, but my bug goes in my right pocket. I absolutely can't carry anything in the pocket with my bug.
I use to carry a BUG all the time. I now rarely do because I feel it so cumbersome with everything else I carry. But I agree, nothing goes in the pocket with the BUG.

Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
This car is like my old car I traded for it. A 2005 Acura RL. I never needed the keyfob. And opening the trunk was just easier than the Mustang because of the placement of the button being a sedan and not a sports model, but I can forgive that, it's just the shape of the body that changes that. I keep getting into my wife's new CR-V LX which uses a key and the key is in my pocket and then I have to contort myself to get the key out out of my pocket to start the car and think to myself. I need the key. How quaint!

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I switched to the left pocket. Kept pressing buttons with the steering wheel getting in and out. I have had a lot of fobs over the years, Ford, GM, Infiniti. Never had that problem until this fob. I say it's not a good design. The buttons should be recessed.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Try a thread search for 'fob cover'. I bought a couple of brightly colored soft foam covers (recommended by another Forum member). The button holes are just deep enough to keep the buttons from activating in your pocket. Since I put them on I have never had an accidental activation. My other vehicles also came with black fobs...so the bright yellow and bright blue fob covers for the Mustang are easy to find and distinguish from my other fobs.

Update: http://www.thejacketstore.com/ford-keyless-remote-cover-frdb94/ is the website for fob covers. The covers are pretty tight when you clip them over the fobs...but fit like another skin. Even tho' the material is fairly thin, it has lasted a full year without any noticeable wear from being pulled in and out my pants pockets.

Last edited:

DIBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB S550 EB
May have to try these FOB covers. Accidently popped the trunk on the Mustang and started the Jeep today. Crazy thing is both actions require a double click.

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I use a carabiner on a belt loop. Don't even have to put the keys in my pocket!
Me 2. Hook the key on my belt and don't think about it the rest of the day.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
A little slow at work today so I took the fob apart and removed the trunk button.

I took a sander to the + on the backside and took it down about 1/32". I cleaned up the edges with a razor blade and put the FOB back together. The button still works if I want it to, but it takes quite a bit of force to make it open the trunk. I'd say problem solved!!

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I too was sick of finding my trunk open. I took a peice of clear shrink tube (the kind they shrink onto large wire harnesses) and cut a section and shrunk it over the fob. Essentially encasing the majority of the fob in a thick layer of vinyl. Haven't found my trunk open since, and can still push for the buttons if I want to.

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I seriously don't understand how you guys are hitting buttons inside your pocket if the buttons are facing your leg.
My guess is it's the house key or my pocketknife when I move around. It was always most noticeable when doing house/lawn work because I was always in range. Every now and then when helping my bartenders clean up, if I was parked too close to the building, my trunk would be open when I went to leave.

ranger56528

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Race Red. Black 95 GTS. 98 Red base v6.
I've gone out and windows are down,the horn goes off at least twice a day ya it a pain,I even bought a cover off eBay for 5 dollars and it helps some but yesterday my windows went down and the horn went off,the fob is all I have in right pocket but when I'm doing things buttons still get pressed,there is a member making a case on a 3-D printer that looks promising,you do not use stock case and its small and thin.
Sponsored