Fluctuating oil pressure gauge after oil change

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I did a search about this and some comments came up in the forced induction section on this site. So I thought I would post in the general forum for more feedback, anyhow...

Just read thru this post after my oil change today. Stock Ford filter, 10qts Mobil 1, 5W30. Took it out for a short run, and noticed the oil pressure gauge pegged. It would stick there and then drop back down to a more normal range at normal driving. Any hard RPM increase would peg the gauge. If would settle back to 80-90 psi once warmed up under reasonable exceleration, not balls out redline gear banging'. Same oil as last change a year ago (10qts out, 10 qts in) and only 1K miles. Almost looks like a gauge or calculation malfunction the way it fluctuates. I Will keep an eye on it, and report back later.
Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Sounds normal for a gen 3 coyote. It's going to hit 90+ when you get on it. If it doesn't something is wrong.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sounds normal for a gen 3 coyote. It's going to hit 90+ when you get on it. If it doesn't something is wrong.
Agree 100%.

I see nearly 100psi after a dead cold start and then starting to drive…. Completely normal.

OP
OP
RazzaRossa

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, strange I never noticed it before though. Like others have said, just get the oil to proper operating temps before getting on it.

Sponsored

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So weird, this is exactly what happened to me. Just had 2nd oil change on Thursday and on Friday when I went out the oil pressure gauge was acting like it was on a caffeine bump, mild acceleration saw the needle pinned to max the gauge will read

Pulled over as soon as I safely could and checked oil, I think I've checked it daily since then and everything seems OK

Ive never noticed it behave like this before, and since I noticed it almost immediately I have to assume something has changed with way the gauge reads versus before

I just did a search on here to see if there were other people experiencing same, your was the first thread I saw

OP
OP
RazzaRossa

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I thought I just never noticed it. Thanks for confirming the erratic gage behavior. This is not normal operation.

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I went onto YouTube to try to see some videos to see if others were doing the same and then came here.

Will definitely call my service advisor Monday to note it, but since others have said above this is normal I guess I have no cause for concern

But Im 99.9999% sure that gauge never moved around like that before, it behaves more like the vacuum gauge now :)

OP
OP
RazzaRossa

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Yes, exactly. 90 psi back down to 30, and it'll hang @ 90 for a bit, and not under hard acceleration either.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Did you ever find out if it was normal? Just had my 4th oil change and its now pegging at 100 very easily. Never did it before.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RazzaRossa

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
NFG, Nope, I just get the cylinder head temp up to normal, and drive it to suit my mood. It's weird how it just started to read erratically (the gauge). It's acts like the useless vacuum gauge.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I guess I fixed mine. I replaced my battery today and sure enough the gauges went back to working normal. I knew I was going to need a new battery soon, but it must have been low enough to cause problems, but not low enough to give me any low voltage warnings. Still odd it started after an oil change.

Last edited:

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I am glad you posted. Same thing for me when I did my first Oil change yesterday. It settled down after warming. But it does peg that gauge
Sponsored