Sponsored

Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-back

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Anyone know if the drone is bad for the Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-back?
Sponsored

Alcyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Yes, it's pretty bad, I had it on mine for about three weeks before I replaced it with a Corsa Xtreme. I definitely cannot recommend it if you are sensitive or easily bothered by exhaust drone. It's pretty obnoxious on the highway at about 2000 RPM in sixth gear.

HDSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the Flowmaster Outlaw and love it. I still have the stock resonator. Best bang for the buck and well made. If you want a muscle car sound you have it with the Outlaw. My hearing is not very good so what is drone? When you are playing with B-52's your hearing goes away for some reason.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
i have flowmasters axle backs(altho not sure which model as it came with the car) and it sounds pretty good, barely any drone that i've noticed.

what ive read is if you add a x pipe.....its a whole different story. (but so is any other exhaust)

OP
OP

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Also, I would only have the Axleback, keeping the stock res

Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I had these. Drone wasn't that bad honestly. The MBRP race was way worse.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
I have the Flowmaster Outlaw and love it. I still have the stock resonator. Best bang for the buck and well made. If you want a muscle car sound you have it with the Outlaw. My hearing is not very good so what is drone? When you are playing with B-52's your hearing goes away for some reason.
I heard these with the stock resonator on both S197 and S550 and the Outlaws does have the most muscle sound of all of them. Corsa is the loudest and raspiness but have almost zero drone.

A lil drone won't kill ya especially if your car sounds like a muscle, rumbling V8 from the outside.

HarmonatoR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
paraboxic.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just recently got these put on mine, keeping the stock resonator. Yes, there is quite a bit of drone when you're on the gas, accelerating in 6th on the highway. But once your cruising or off the throttle, it backs way off. If I were constantly driving up a grade, it would get old. But since my area is pretty dynamic, I feel like it all balances out. I do enjoy hearing the burbling when off throttle and between shifts, and man, when I lay into it, it roars.

The one thing I've not done yet is actually hearing it from outside the car, other than warm idle. I need to get a buddy out with me and find an open place to see what it does sound like in person, from outside the cabin, with some throttle blips and some drive-bys. I have no idea if it sounds awesome, or funky like a loud flappy brass instrument (kind of what I think it sounds like at times from inside the cabin), or if I'm building a case for my HOA to complain when I leave for work in the morning. :p

Overall, for the money, I think it was a great compromise. Got it from American Muscle, they are/were offering a $50 rebate, and my local muffler shop only charged me $50 to install. And now it definitely sounds more like a Mustang and less like a Crown Victoria.

OP
OP

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I just recently got these put on mine, keeping the stock resonator. Yes, there is quite a bit of drone when you're on the gas, accelerating in 6th on the highway. But once your cruising or off the throttle, it backs way off. If I were constantly driving up a grade, it would get old. But since my area is pretty dynamic, I feel like it all balances out. I do enjoy hearing the burbling when off throttle and between shifts, and man, when I lay into it, it roars.

The one thing I've not done yet is actually hearing it from outside the car, other than warm idle. I need to get a buddy out with me and find an open place to see what it does sound like in person, from outside the cabin, with some throttle blips and some drive-bys. I have no idea if it sounds awesome, or funky like a loud flappy brass instrument (kind of what I think it sounds like at times from inside the cabin), or if I'm building a case for my HOA to complain when I leave for work in the morning. :p

Overall, for the money, I think it was a great compromise. Got it from American Muscle, they are/were offering a $50 rebate, and my local muffler shop only charged me $50 to install. And now it definitely sounds more like a Mustang and less like a Crown Victoria.
Tough decision between these and Roush :shrug: The exchange rate is pretty crazy right now too so Roush would be around 150 more than the outlaws. Do you think the drone would be worse on an automatic with stock gear ratio?

HarmonatoR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
paraboxic.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Tough decision between these and Roush :shrug: The exchange rate is pretty crazy right now too so Roush would be around 150 more than the outlaws. Do you think the drone would be worse on an automatic with stock gear ratio?
Ah man, I really don't have any experience with the automatics to offer any worthwhile opinion. IIRC, I've read that combo (auto with 3.55) is a little notorious for extra drone compared to manuals with 3.73 rear ends. I may even have that backwards. :p Maybe some of the other guys could chime in on that.

Sponsored

HDSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the bulletproof auto with 3.55's. Love my Outlaws. :headbang:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
there are some better options for sure

let me know on anything your looking at we'll get you dialed in

HarmonatoR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
paraboxic.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Wanted to come back to this thread and offer my final opinions on this exhaust.

Went to a local track day and I got to hear a little bit from a video camera recording, though the sound was captured poorly and I was not impressed. So I made a rash decision to go back to the muffler shop and have them build me an H-pipe for $70.

Once I did that... it became unbearably obnoxious. Phone calls were useless, and the drone was insane and present any time I was on the throttle, at any RPM. Then the wife heard it and she was not pleased. :eek:

So, I put the factory resonator back in and all was good. Reasonable and tolerable levels of drone, phone calls are just fine, and you can hear yourself think.

Yesterday, I finally got to hear the system from outside under various scenarios. It sounds amazing! And as long as you're not mashing the loud pedal, the neighbors won't mind at all. (There's always the cold starts, but I have a garage which contains the worst of it initially)

From inside the cabin, it can at times sound a little frappy, or trombone-y. Not so from the outside. It sounds like a muscle car should sound like, and if you get on it, it gets plenty loud.

TL;DR

If you're buying a new exhaust, it's hard to beat the Flowmaster Outlaws with the factory resonator! Best bang for your buck, IMO.

OP
OP

YellowMelo28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Its been over a month with the Flowmaster exhaust installed. Kept the resonator and it sounds great. I've gotten plenty of compliments on it from other cars at the lights. I still haven't heard it drive by from the outside though so I don't really know how loud it really is. But from the inside I wouldn't mind a H-Pipe :D (just kidding I wouldn't stand the drone) but drone is honestly not bad and is mostly cancelled out by my music. Thanks to everyone on the forum for their opinions and review on the exhaust!

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
And sound clips of it with the resonator on?
Sponsored