Florida seeks to make street takeovers, car stunts illegal

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The state Senate Transportation committee unanimously approved a bill Wednesday to make it a first-degree misdemeanor to drive, be a passenger or be a spectator at a street takeover.
Huh?!?!?! :crazy:
If you happen to be there when this happens, what are you supposed to do? Close your eyes? Run away as fast as you can before a cop sees you and arrests you for looking?

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
And as it should be ........... what's the question?

Reactions: DRB

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Huh?!?!?! :crazy:
If you happen to be there when this happens, what are you supposed to do? Close your eyes? Run away as fast as you can before a cop sees you and arrests you for looking?
It's an attempt to give the police teeth to arrest those people who block the roads with their meat sack so the cops can't pursue someone doing burnouts or whatever. Of course, like any expansion of power, yes, in theory it could be used to arrest anyone near a single person doing a burnout.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It could also be called the expansion of common sense?

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I'm really surprised that it's been legal in Florida so far :shock:

Actually thinking about it more - no, I'm not surprised at all, but was it really ok to do dumb stuff like that with no consequences?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It would seem like that should already be illegal, no?
This activity is mostly centered in two southern counties that are politically unique to the rest of the state. Very dangerous stuff. Be careful out there.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
When the fools ruin things for everyone. In Ontario, Canada where I am, we had some issues with this for a few years with takeovers in downtown Toronto. Especially during the pandemic with a lot of media and press attention e.g. lighting the road on fire, etc.

Thanks to those fools the government just passed the most restrictive "stunt driving" laws yet that literally outlaw doing burnouts even on private property including private parking lots, your own driveway etc. They are so restrictive and open to interpretation that you could technically get a stunt driving conviction for using a dirt bike on a farm.

Any true car enthusiast should be throwing as much shade on these folk as possible.

https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/how-do-recent-changes-to-ontario-law-impact-off-roaders

" To tackle those whackadoodles hosting burnout parties in intersections and drifting sessions in parking lots, the law needed to extend beyond public roadways. Now, cops can apply stunt laws in, “(a) any parking lot, garage or structure, whether public or private, paved or unpaved, flat or multilevel, above or below grade, including any driveway or road that connects the parking lot to a highway. (b) any private, commercial or industrial parking lot or empty lot from which the public would ordinarily be excluded and (c) any parking lot into which drivers are expressly or impliedly invited or permitted to enter, with or without payment, and no matter whether payment is made or whether the driver entered with or without permission.” It further designates “specified places” as “any parking lot, beach, park, bike path or trail, farm field or sports field.

Considering “motor vehicles” cover off nearly everything on our roads today, what about ATVs and dirtbikes? Those “specified places” include farm fields and trails. Will this law extend that far off the pavement? Yes, it will. ”

Sponsored

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Florida is so backwards, it's funny that they're just getting around to realizing how dangerous these activities are.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
When the fools ruin things for everyone. In Ontario, Canada where I am, we had some issues with this for a few years with takeovers in downtown Toronto. Especially during the pandemic with a lot of media and press attention e.g. lighting the road on fire, etc.

Thanks to those fools the government just passed the most restrictive "stunt driving" laws yet that literally outlaw doing burnouts even on private property including private parking lots, your own driveway etc. They are so restrictive and open to interpretation that you could technically get a stunt driving conviction for using a dirt bike on a farm.

Any true car enthusiast should be throwing as much shade on these folk as possible.

https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/how-do-recent-changes-to-ontario-law-impact-off-roaders

" To tackle those whackadoodles hosting burnout parties in intersections and drifting sessions in parking lots, the law needed to extend beyond public roadways. Now, cops can apply stunt laws in, “(a) any parking lot, garage or structure, whether public or private, paved or unpaved, flat or multilevel, above or below grade, including any driveway or road that connects the parking lot to a highway. (b) any private, commercial or industrial parking lot or empty lot from which the public would ordinarily be excluded and (c) any parking lot into which drivers are expressly or impliedly invited or permitted to enter, with or without payment, and no matter whether payment is made or whether the driver entered with or without permission.” It further designates “specified places” as “any parking lot, beach, park, bike path or trail, farm field or sports field.

Considering “motor vehicles” cover off nearly everything on our roads today, what about ATVs and dirtbikes? Those “specified places” include farm fields and trails. Will this law extend that far off the pavement? Yes, it will. ”
I can hardly imagine a police officer chasing you in his white dodge charger across your private farm field while you ride a dirt bike. they are so lazy that 99% of the time they don't bother stopping me for no front license plate when I drive past them on 50km/hr limit road at 60km/hr. My area gets infested with them on nice sunny weekends in summer and yet as long as you act civilized, they don't bother to stop you. to be honest, I'm happy that in Ontario this idiotic street racing and stunts are being taken seriously. I would also hate to see my neighbor doing burnouts on his driveway that is 20 feet away from my windows and my kids playing right there. this would be as moronic as doing the same in a public space.

oh, and I've been doing some very fun slides, 180's and driving at excessive speeds along with 150 other people while police were standing and watching right there. it was an organized event at a race track with all the safety protocols and nobody got ticketed. in my opinion, this is where such behavior belongs and it's very easy to have tons of this car enthusiast fun in a safe and controlled environment here. we have at least couple great tracks around Toronto, drag and autocross events, stunt driving courses. if you also consider a 600km driving range, the amount of opportunities becomes overwhelming.

Last edited:

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Where are all the challengers and chargers suppose to “show off” now?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Where are all the challengers and chargers suppose to “show off” now?
'Mexico' -same place as all the YouTube roll racing vids ... :giggle:

WD :like:
Sponsored