Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium pp, FBO CJ/Cams combo, E85
Hello all,
Now before I get yelled at saying “yOu DoNt NeEd a fLeX FuEl kIT tO RuN E85”......
I know I am lund flex fuel tuned as of now.
But I am looking to make 500whp with a CJ mani and cams combo. I have those parts ready to go but I want the most PRECISE reading and tune for whatever blend I put in the tank because I DAILY my car and I will either pour straight E90 or any 93 and have the most bang. I am looking at a few different choice of flex fuel sensors and kits but I’m wondering if anyone has done this? I am going to go with a good local dyno tune and he recommends going with the flex fuel sensor.
Link below-
https://www.advancedfueldynamics.co...r-for-ford-mustang-5-0?variant=30895665184904
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I hear what you’re saying. I kinda run mine on the flex tune unless I know for sure (via testing), that I am getting true E85 from the pump. In my experience, there isn’t enough consistency with pump E85 to run on my E85 Race tune. So far, I’ve only found E84.5 twice out of 6-7 fill-ups. I just carry a bottle of water, my test tube and a small container to put a little pump E85 in for testing when it’s time to fill up. I just ordered six 5 gal. pails of One Ethanol to use when I tune for and use nitrous. It’s my understanding that Lund adds as much timing as possible in their E85R tune, with the understanding that the end user bears the responsibility of making sure that they are running true E85.

Are you using an nGauge tuner? If so, won’t you have to stick with Lund and do remote tuning sessions on the Dyno, since he locks the tuner?

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
I hear what you’re saying. I kinda run mine on the flex tune unless I know for sure (via testing), that I am getting true E85 from the pump. In my experience, there isn’t enough consistency with pump E85 to run on my E85 Race tune. So far, I’ve only found E84.5 twice out of 6-7 fill-ups. I just carry a bottle of water, my test tube and a small container to put a little pump E85 in for testing when it’s time to fill up. I just ordered six 5 gal. pails of One Ethanol to use when I tune for and use nitrous. It’s my understanding that Lund adds as much timing as possible in their E85R tune, with the understanding that the end user bears the responsibility of making sure that they are running true E85.

Are you using an nGauge tuner? If so, won’t you have to stick with Lund and do remote tuning sessions on the Dyno, since he locks the tuner?
I think we are on completely different pages lol. I am talking about a flex fuel sensor kit that plugs into the fuel system not a flex fuel tune. Yes I have an Nguage and no I will no longer need it because I am getting my car dyno tuned by someone else entirely now. I am trying to find out if anyone has a flex fuel kit installed on their car or if they have before.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think we are on completely different pages lol. I am talking about a flex fuel sensor kit that plugs into the fuel system not a flex fuel tune. Yes I have an Nguage and no I will no longer need it because I am getting my car dyno tuned by someone else entirely now. I am trying to find out if anyone has a flex fuel kit installed on their car or if they have before.
I gotcha. If you do end up going with a flex fuel sensor kit, would you please consider doing a write up on it?

Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
What is your concern with allowing the PCM to determine the ethanol contact?
It does a good job of it. I don’t see the need for adding external sensors in this application at all.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
What is your concern with allowing the PCM to determine the ethanol contact?
It does a good job of it. I don’t see the need for adding external sensors in this application at all.
I dont think you understand what he's trying to achieve. He wants to run full E85 which in order to run that tune you will need to make sure what you are putting in the car is close to that if not more. That's why he has to manually test it otherwise you destroy your engine. The PCM will be able to determine that in you run a Flex Tune.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Umm. Pretty sure OP just wants a highly accurate realtime adjustment to whatever quality fuel they toss at it. Thus alleviating any concerns with running a poor batch of E85 or a mixture of E and 91/93 octanes.

Sorry I don’t have the answers you’re looking for OP, just trying to add clarity.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
Umm. Pretty sure OP just wants a highly accurate realtime adjustment to whatever quality fuel they toss at it. Thus alleviating any concerns with running a poor batch of E85 or a mixture of E and 91/93 octanes.

Sorry I don’t have the answers you’re looking for OP, just trying to add clarity.
Exactly! I want REAL TIME, PRECISE adjustments and on all of the flex fuel kits I see some offer real time reading or sensing but no real real adjusting in timing etc etc to actually make more power on any blend or straight E85 that is what I want and I wanted to know it any of you had one in your car or even a older gen mustang since I know the older ones needed sensor to be flex fuel? Anyone?

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
Seems self explanatory to me. Or are you just wondering if it's worth the money ? Buy it. Install it. Let your tuner do his thing.
I most likely will but the thing I see is it mainly just reads, I honestly don’t care if the running cost more what I want is for the sensor have the ability to identify how much Ethonal is in the tank or octane rating if it’s gas and tell the PCM give this much timing etc so I can make the most power with whatever is in the tank. Reliably, efficiently and precisely........ honestly maybe I’m dreaming and just sounds to good to be true :(

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I most likely will but the thing I see is it mainly just reads, I honestly don’t care if the running cost more what I want is for the sensor have the ability to identify how much Ethonal is in the tank or octane rating if it’s gas and tell the PCM give this much timing etc so I can make the most power with whatever is in the tank. Reliably, efficiently and precisely........ honestly maybe I’m dreaming and just sounds to good to be true :(
That's pretty much what you lund flex tune does. No sensors will be 100% accurate. I mean if you check your flex logs, you'll see whether the knock sensors are going nuts no matter what the percentage of ethanol.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Like Wildhorse said, this is how your flex tune already works. Hence my question initially, why are you averse to letting the PCM do this? It is actually pretty good at this job.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
The more I think about this, I’m starting to come to the assumption that the tuner you are working with is not capable of creating a flex tune, which is why he is suggesting that you add this hardware. It should be worth noting that you don’t see anybody else running this hardware, but there are tons of flex tunes out there...
Sponsored