Sponsored

Flat bottom steering advantages?

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
This was a no factor in my decision to go s550 vs 24’. Can someone with more experience describe how the flat bottom would be better than a round wheel? It seems like Legroom would be self defeating once you start turning the wheel.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Unless you go with a F1 wheel I think it is mostly for looks. I have heard some complaints from C8 drivers on track that the flat bottom wheel gets in the way on sharp turns.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
On the S550 the regular wheels are almost identical in size and shape to the flat bottom ones. One is slightly flatter on the bottom, yes.

driving aggressively you’re not going to often notice the difference between the two, so no real advantage.

flat bottom is less common so its ‘cooler’, but its more in the styling category vs functional.

heck, I drove a tesla plaid with the yoke around an autox course and I don’t think I even thought about the wheel shape once after we got going. The rest of the car was too overwhelming. Crazy.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Having a flat bottom and top, I'd say it is cosmetic.....for those that like the look.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I think the flat bottom wheel is like any other mod - someone sees it, buys it, posts about it - and next thing you know, other people now want it too… ‘gotta have it syndrome’ without even knowing if there’s any benefits to it to not….

I’ve never heard of anyone having leg clearance issues with a normal steering wheel that is also mounted on a moveable tilt column…. Now unless the driver has balls the size of bowling balls, then maybe a flat bottom steering wheel has some sort of benefits…😂 other than that, it’s just a ‘gotta have it because race car and everyone else is doing it’ mod…🙃

Sponsored

jamus34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mach 1 (on order)
So my WRX had a flat bottom. One advantage having nothing to do with driving, it does make easier to enter and exit the vehicle.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So my WRX had a flat bottom. One advantage having nothing to do with driving, it does make easier to enter and exit the vehicle.
Exactly. They started to be used in race cars where the additional room was welcomed especially in emergency situations. For street use it’s cosmetic, the ”boy/girl racer” look.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It is for looks mostly but like everything, the only person that knows why a person has one is is that person. We tend to be quick to put people in a group when they do something we don't agree with. OP asked if functional, most say no. What's the purpose of adding why strangers do things to their vehicles, especially in a negative manner. Some people don't like stock this or that, nothing wrong with that. 😁

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
They put them on high end sports cars to make you feel that you’re getting something special. Zero functionality. Been using round steering wheels since the 70s not one complaint yet.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I read up on this a bit before I ordered my custom made steering wheel from
Guardian Design here (thanks, one year on it still feels really nice in my hands), as I wanted to hold something in my hands that felt more premium than the OEM leather.

Like the others here have said, my conclusion was also that, except for what I assume are very cramped race cars where a flat bottom wheel can make it a bit less hard to get in and out, there's no benefit. I also read several posts from others who were not happy with the flat bottom wheel and complained it felt less natural in their hands, no longer being round all around, and less comfortable to rotate with the "edges" the flat bottom wheel has. The latter was the nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned, even though I too thought the flat bottom does look a bit cooler, as that's what I see on the high-end cars at the trackdays and thought there may be some benefits.

You can get them with both a flat bottom and a flat top at the same time btw.

moby4dick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
This was a no factor in my decision to go s550 vs 24’. Can someone with more experience describe how the flat bottom would be better than a round wheel? It seems like Legroom would be self defeating once you start turning the wheel.
I don’t know about a stock car. I previously installed high bolster fixed back racing seats in my WRX. I added a Prova flat bottom wheel and it made getting out of the seat way easier. But for stock, probably more for looks.

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
My carbon fiber wheel came that way😏
20210703_093558.jpg
Sponsored