Sponsored

Fixing Tramlining Issue with 2017 GT350R

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Just switched to super sports and zero tramlining.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The numbers in your post are trash. I don't know where they come from, but they don't match the FP specs.

Here's what FP says in the Owner's Supplement for the 2020 GT350/R:

1654229062000.png

Booboo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2020 PB GT350
The numbers in your post are trash. I don't know where they come from, but they don't match the FP specs.

Here's what FP says in the Owner's Supplement for the 2020 GT350/R:
Think what you will but the proof's in the pudding...car handles WAY better than factory settings. At least on the street, no track yet.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Think what you will but the proof's in the pudding...car handles WAY better than factory settings. At least on the street, no track yet.
Are you talking about handling or tramlining? The settings in the table are somewhere between FP's street and track settings. If you're not tracking, the car will drive okay. That said, just don't confuse them with the right settings for the chassis. They aren't. Presumably some alignment machine manufacturer pulled them out of thin air and the tech doing the work has scrupulously set the car up with them. The tech did a good job, the manufacturer not so much.

Booboo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2020 PB GT350
I'm only talking about tramlining on the street and how to get rid of 95% of it so you can happily cruise along with your fingers loosely pinching the leather section of the steering wheel in the relaxed 5 o'clock position and not worry at all about the car turning abruptly on its own 30 degrees to the right and straight into the parked car like it did with the factory settings and the Cup 2 tires. Thank goodness for my incredible lightning fast reflexes or that crash would've happened.

I'll say again, I immediately noticed improvement(read: a decrease) in tramlining intensity when driving off from getting that alignment and that was still with the cup 2 tires. After replacing with PSS the tramlining all but disappeared. Do with this information what you will!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm only talking about tramlining on the street and how to get rid of 95% of it so you can happily cruise along with your fingers loosely pinching the leather section of the steering wheel in the relaxed 5 o'clock position and not worry at all about the car turning abruptly on its own 30 degrees to the right and straight into the parked car like it did with the factory settings and the Cup 2 tires. Thank goodness for my incredible lightning fast reflexes or that crash would've happened.

I'll say again, I immediately noticed improvement(read: a decrease) in tramlining intensity when driving off from getting that alignment and that was still with the cup 2 tires. After replacing with PSS the tramlining all but disappeared. Do with this information what you will!
Much earlier in this thread, I said that a "precision alignment" would help a lot with tramlining. By precision, I meant that the settings had to be the same - down to the third digit - on both sides. The actual settings don't matter as much as the precision with which they are implemented. As I said, the tech did a good job and that's what reduced tramlining.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
305/35 squared when it's time to replace. There's no need for a chassis brace unless you really want one. The BMR K brace didn't do much. However, I will say the rear cradle lockout kit plants the ass nicely.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Makes complete sense, I'm going to try the Steeda brace and keep the car on the cup 2's and aligned the way it is now. Maybe that will help, it's not an expensive part so if it works money well spent.
Don't waste money on the Steeda brace or any brace for that location. If those 2 chassis points were moving around enough to cause an alignment change while going straight down the road, you'd have a LOT more problems than a little tramlining - there are some who can't comprehend this, however. Change your tires to PS4S and a proper alignment - that will make a difference. I did previously own a 2016R and it did tramline badly - just changing the tires made it almost unnoticeable. I now own a 2020R still on cup2s and I'd say that it tramlines very little - about the same as my 16R did with PS4S. Now keep in mind, the alignment between the 2 cars could also be different. Lots of variables here.

But please understand - anyone who swears the chassis brace fixed this is just trying to convince themselves that they didn't waste money on it - by getting other people to waste money on it. Don't do it.

Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Like @Booboo I'd like to be able to drive my car on the street with my OEM PSS and not have to keep two hands, white-knuckle tight on the steering wheel to avoid an accident! With that being said, what alignment numbers am I looking for? The numbers Booboo posted do seem to fall into the Street range of the owners manual.

Am I telling the tech to shoot for a total toe of .10? What about each individual reading up front? And what about rears? Which adjustment will reduce tramlining.

TIA.

MrRogers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Defender, F-TYPE
I'm running PS4S 305 square and it has helped a ton with tramming
Sponsored