First post!

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
So im new to the 550 platform but not Mustangs. Long story longer i bought a repo 15 Ecoboost. It runs but smokes alot. I trailered it home and pulled the JLT cai off and oil dripped out. I then removed the intake manifold and it had ill bet 3/4 quart of oil or better in it. Looking in at the valves, they have oil baked onto them. Cylinder head has oil sitting in it on the cylinder that the valves are closed. I ordered a UPR catch can set up. Am i going down the right road here? I cannot believe this thing even runs. Anyway, any advice on making this thing right would be greatly appreciated. Been reading alot on here, great site!

Adam
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Helpful reply. Yes i bought it cheap.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
1st, welcome to the site and S550 ownership!

You’re going in the right direction, but I have attached the following TSB’s that may provide you better insight to the common issues that were present on the 1st year S550. Some of the TSB’s I have attached also apply to all 2.3 EB’s.

The excessive exhaust smoke was an issue on the early build 2015/16’s and it’s possble the owner of your vehicle never had it addressed (or didn’t know Ford had a TSB on it).

Worn or bad valve seals or turbo seals can also cause excessive exhaust smoke.

Enjoy the S550!

Attachments

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Thank you for the welcome and I appreciate the links. The car has had about 39,000 of the 61,000 miles on it, put on in the last 16 months. I doubt the owner ran premium fuel or was up on anything mechanical. Overall nice premium 6speed car. Just needs some TLC
20181114_163201.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Only 1 TSB has been done...and I dumped 1.5 quarts of oil out of the intercooler today. I think i found my smoke source...turbo blowing it right into intake,into cylinders etc. UPR catch can is on. Gonna clean out IC and put it back together to see if that clears it up.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Bad turbo seals?

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
After I get it put back together if it continues to smoke like that that I'm going to say yes is probably the turbo seals. Does anyone sell a rebuild kit for these? That or this is just a great excuse to put a better turbo on. . It is a shame though, had the previous owner kept up with the tsb's and any sort of maintenance on the car at all, none of this would be happening.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Does the car start and idle ok? if not, buy a compression gauge and perform a compression check on all 4 cylinders...Broken piston and or bad rings from detonation damage can allow compression and boost to pressurize the crankcase, blowing oil from the valve cover vent line into the intake tube. Don't ask me how I know this, lol.
Bad turbo seals can also be the source also.

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Yep it starts and idles fine. Then after awhile it struggled to idle. I think its due to the plugs just getting slathered with oil. Yes i have a compression gauge. I will check the compression too.

Sponsored
OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Well some good and bad news today. So the bad: I cleaned out the IC reinstalled and started the car, still smoking like a chimney. I pulled all the plugs, 1 was dark and sooty, 2 was worse, 3 was soaked with oil but spotless besides that and 4 was oily and sooty. So I pulled the intercooler back off after driving it a bit, not a drop of oil in it so not being a turbo guy I am going to assume that rules out turbo seals? My compression tester wouldn't work because its old so I need to go buy a new one and check compression but at this point I think the motor is hurt. I guess I don't have any good news after all.... oh wait I got to drive it today, so there is that.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey if that's the case, then maybe all you may need is a new lower (small block). If you got a great deal on it, then I think a new 2.3L lower is only about $1,300 from the factory. Expensive, but if that's all it needs, you'll have practically a new car when you're done.

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
I had no idea shortblocks were that cheap! Guess i better do a search for one.

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Hey can you send me a link for those? All i can find is bare blocks and they are $1000 themselves.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey can you send me a link for those? All i can find is bare blocks and they are $1000 themselves.
I would take down the VIN of your car and contact Ford themselves online through their parts website. They can actually freight you a small block from the factory. That low of a price is if you can manage to get one on sale though.

Before I do that, I would pull the engine, and pull the head. Then inspect everything to see if in fact it's just really bad rings and cylinder scoring, etc. You want to make sure the head is OK, and all the valves, timing chain, etc. Because you wouldn't want to put all that back together, only to find out something on top was causing an issue as well.

If you aren't sure about doing a rebuild, then just get a whole engine that is used with low miles, usually pulled from vehicles that were in accidents, and tested to make sure they are OK. This can readily be the best way to go for DIY's who know how to install an engine. You can get whole engines for less than half the price of a new one. Here's one on Ebay that is only $2,000, and under 30,000 miles. They usually come with some basic short term warranty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Ford-Mustang-2-3L-Engine-Motor-4cyl-OEM-29K-Miles-LKQ-187810026/362466277020?fits=Year:2015|Model:Mustang|Submodel:EcoBoost|Engine+-+Liter_Display:2.3L&epid=19022365323&hash=item5464ac769c:g:D6oAAOSwBRVbzi7t:rk:67:pf:0
Sponsored

Last edited: