First auto cross

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Signed up for my first Auto Cross this coming Sunday (SCCA). 2021 base GT with a strut tower brace and the FP GT Calibration kit, stock wheels & tires (upgraded wheels, tire, suspension parts have been on order for a really long time). I don't expect much being a first try and my set up currently sucks, but what the heck, it should be fun anyway!

Just posting this in case any of you will be over at Gateway (WWT) for this event, maybe I could ask you to not point and laugh j/k.
Sponsored

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Good luck - I'm sure you'll enjoy it! My season kicks off this weekend in Lincoln where it'll be so cold I doubt the tires will work at all, but I'm still really looking forward to it.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
The Mustang is not a great autocross car considering its size and weight, but it is a great thing to do to help learn the limits of the car before you go out on a power track. Spinning out on an autoX is better than on a fast course. I don't know your level expertise, but an experienced pro on this forum advised me to fill up the front tires to 40# and keep the rears around 30 for autoX to keep the front sidewalls stiff. Good luck.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang is not a great autocross car considering its size and weight, but it is a great thing to do to help learn the limits of the car before you go out on a power track. Spinning out on an autoX is better than on a fast course. I don't know your level expertise, but an experienced pro on this forum advised me to fill up the front tires to 40# and keep the rears around 30 for autoX to keep the front sidewalls stiff. Good luck.
idk about 40/30. Depends on the tire, but I have yet to see a tire that wants 40psi (cold or hot pressures) on our cars. Again, generalities arent much help, we’d need to know the tire at least and probably more details to guess at tire pressures

when starting out, it doesn’t matter much what car you’re in, just drive what you have. There are a lot of lessons in autocross which will make you faster. The mustang is a fun car to autocross, I wouldn’t say its bad at all. Eventually when the driver gets good enough we can starttking about which cars/models are thehot ticket in PAX ina given year, but its going to take a driver a couple years of consistent autocross to get to the point where thats the thing thats holding them back (with some exceptions)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Seanuf99

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
No complaints after my first Autocross experience. I worked heat 1 and drove heat 3 so actually worked out pretty well as a learning opportunity. Stock suspension and the stock 235 Pirellis. 1st run solo/DNF 90 seconds. 2nd run w/coach DNF 69 seconds, 3rd run w/coach DNF 67s, 4th w/coach 58ish but with inexplicable DNF, 5th run solo 67ish
I didnt push it at all. Tires suck and was slippery. No regrets though, got an order update on wheels and tires while at the course and they shoukd be here before next event.

OP
OP
Seanuf99

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
idk about 40/30. Depends on the tire, but I have yet to see a tire that wants 40psi (cold or hot pressures) on our cars. Again, generalities arent much help, we’d need to know the tire at least and probably more details to guess at tire pressures

when starting out, it doesn’t matter much what car you’re in, just drive what you have. There are a lot of lessons in autocross which will make you faster. The mustang is a fun car to autocross, I wouldn’t say its bad at all. Eventually when the driver gets good enough we can starttking about which cars/models are thehot ticket in PAX ina given year, but its going to take a driver a couple years of consistent autocross to get to the point where thats the thing thats holding them back (with some exceptions)
I actually decided to give this a try to get to know my car better and prep myself for HDPEs and track nights etc. But damn... this was fun as hell. Btw a ton of mustangs there. Most were gen 5s. Only other 6g was a 17 ecoboost. Cam c was Camaro heavy. A Hellcat was present as well. After the wife wakes up I am going to verify our travel schedule and if all checks out will be signing up for both phases of EVO school in Lebannon, oh. So will have to stop by at Lebannon Ford while there. That could be dangerous because i might leave with a supercharger.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
After the wife wakes up I am going to verify our travel schedule and if all checks out will be signing up for both phases of EVO school in Lebannon, oh. So will have to stop by at Lebannon Ford while there. That could be dangerous because i might leave with a supercharger.
That is my local site and local (to me) school. I'm afraid you might be little late, last time I looked, phase 1 had 30 people signed up and is likely full (but ask Junior to be sure).

Supercharger - don't if you want to autocross. At least not until few years from now.

OP
OP
Seanuf99

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
That is my local site and local (to me) school. I'm afraid you might be little late, last time I looked, phase 1 had 30 people signed up and is likely full (but ask Junior to be sure).

Supercharger - don't if you want to autocross. At least not until few years from now.
I was half kidding about the supercharger. Ty for the info on the evo school. I dont mind travelling so if that one is full i can find one later maybe.

OP
OP
Seanuf99

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
That is my local site and local (to me) school. I'm afraid you might be little late, last time I looked, phase 1 had 30 people
Have you done this school? The guys recommending it to me suggested doing both phases on same weekend to make the most of the trip. But im wondering if i should spread them out since i am so new to it. Maybe phase 1 at next available then phase 2 at last available or even next year. Give time to build on what is learned before moving to the next level?

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Have you done this school? The guys recommending it to me suggested doing both phases on same weekend to make the most of the trip. But im wondering if i should spread them out since i am so new to it. Maybe phase 1 at next available then phase 2 at last available or even next year. Give time to build on what is learned before moving to the next level?
Yes, I have - and an Evo Challenge (which was interesting given who was up against). I would say if you are coming down here from Saint Louis, makes sense to do both - they teach to the skill level, I have seen people completely new to autocross do it and benefit from it - you'd benefit more with more experience but I would still do both schools if you are OK with the cost.

I might do phase 2 actually this year again, not sure. I'd suggest you email Mike Johnson and ask what's the cap on phase 1 - might be full.

Also be prepared for what Trader's World (where that is happening is). It's special.
(I live 15 minutes from it so very familiar with the area - if you need any help or your car breaks).

OP
OP
Seanuf99

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Also be prepared for what Trader's World (where that is happening is). It's special.
(I live 15 minutes from it so very familiar with the area - if you need any help or your car breaks).
Thanks. I'll email him see if its available, maybe at a minimum get on a cancellation wait list. Its close to Indy, and i lived there 8 years before moving to the Lou, so could visit friends as a back up plan.

I just googled Traders...that looks nuts! Of course would have to hit up Jungle Jims while there.

Quite generous of you to offer support. Let me see what i can find out. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Seanuf99

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
@kz i just realized you were the one who referred me to Dave Whitworth a couple of months ago. I was not able to use him for the install at the time due to his availabilty. I did, however, get to his shop to buy a helmet and numbers. 10 mins from my house. He kicked ass yesterday. Of course he won Cam c. I think he may have had the best time too overall but would need to verify.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
@kz i just realized you were the one who referred me to Dave Whitworth a couple of months ago. I was not able to use him for the install at the time due to his availabilty. I did, however, get to his shop to buy a helmet and numbers. 10 mins from my house. He kicked ass yesterday. Of course he won Cam c. I think he may have had the best time too overall but would need to verify.
Yea - I saw the results - Jason - who I raced against in FS back in the day was 3rd pax in his silly BWM i3 (posted pics of pax results on fb) . Cracks me up he is so dead set at making this thing work.

Dave is very good, valuable resource and has a shop that can help with things like alignment (probably give you an advice on what to set it to) and not complain about aftermarket parts. Obviously knows Mustangs too, even though his is S197.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I actually decided to give this a try to get to know my car better and prep myself for HDPEs and track nights etc. But damn... this was fun as hell. Btw a ton of mustangs there. Most were gen 5s. Only other 6g was a 17 ecoboost. Cam c was Camaro heavy. A Hellcat was present as well. After the wife wakes up I am going to verify our travel schedule and if all checks out will be signing up for both phases of EVO school in Lebannon, oh. So will have to stop by at Lebannon Ford while there. That could be dangerous because i might leave with a supercharger.
I really like autox, but back when I started I wanted more seat time. HPDEs are good for that, but autox is still the best way to learn car control in a safe environment. Spinning out on a track can be bad news, depending where you go off. If you can get in on an EVO school, that's definite the way to go. They will teach you some of the secrets which autocrossers use to go fast around a course marked only with a few sparse cones.

Both track time and autox teach related lessons, but IMHO autox is better for building the reflexes you need to stay safe, esp if your autox site is generous enough w/r/t clearances to hard obstacles for you to drive with traction control turned off. The main thing for HPDE events when starting out is to get instructors in the car. TNiA is fun, but you may just drill in bad habits w/o an experienced drive in the car to call you out.
Sponsored