Sponsored

First 2015 Ford Mustang (s550) Full Prototype on Video! [Updated with V8 Sounds]

DarkAgent10

Why do these guys driving the mules/prototypes always look so shocked or pissed they're being filmed?

They gotta know when your driving the most anticipated car in the industry wrapped in a garbage bag it's like bees to honey and free money for the spy photographers.
Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Ford has been getting more and more clever regarding the tails on the Mustang. They did a great job hiding the final design of the '13-14 with some tape and filler material to a point where they didn't even look close. I suspect more of the same. Besides, it's not terribly difficult to design a taillamp that sticks on the car under the cladding and receives the input signals for brake/turn signals to hide the true nature of the production lamps.

I'm happy to see the CHMSL (center high mount stop lamp) finally moved to the top of the rear windshield. I've preferred it there on many vehicles, and wondered if/when we'd see the Mustang have it move there as well. It just begs to question; where will the convertible CHMSL go? My guess is the spoiler.

Also, they need to move the performance model wheels up to 20" sizes. I'm not a huge fan of the larger size, but the cost savings in tires makes it worth the jump.

The reason for the 2013 Fusion style roof mounted brake light is because it's a true fastback and the trunk/boot design is not used on the convertible

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
The reason for the 2013 Fusion style roof mounted brake light is because it's a true fastback and the trunk/boot design is not used on the convertible
Yeah...but we know it won't be ;)

Icy

Isn't the easier explanation that they just want to put the same roof mounted third brake light as the Fusion as yet an additional shared component/cost?

Dont get me wrong, I wanna see a full fastback, but the prototype pics arent giving me much hope.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Isn't the easier explanation that they just want to put the same roof mounted third brake light as the Fusion as yet an additional shared component/cost?

Dont get me wrong, I wanna see a full fastback, but the prototype pics arent giving me much hope.
There could be an issue with crash test standards concerning a fully functional hatch/fastback. The roof may be fastback-ish but will have a trunk lid.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, many consider the S197 to be a fastback, but I wouldn't call it a full fastback......not with a non-sloping rear trunk lid.....ie one where the trunk isn't the same angle as the rear windshield.

I'd love S550 to have such a graceful fastback rear end......but I suspect it'll be more like the S197.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
So what you're saying is that you do t consider it a fastback unless it looks like the 2009.5 Iacocca Mustang?

If so then I agree.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So what you're saying is that you do t consider it a fastback unless it looks like the 2009.5 Iacocca Mustang?

If so then I agree.
For me, the current design is half way between a notch back (think '66 coupe) and fastback (think '66 fastback).

Even Ford refers to the S197 hardtop as a coupe.

But, yes, for me the Iacocca Mustang was a "proper" fasback :)

KZStang

Agreed, the S197 is right in the middle of a notch and fastback. While I would love to see a modern '69 style fastback (shameless plug), with modern day proportions it just can't be done right without the rear quarters looking too tall and bulky. Every attempt at it has had massive rear overhang - look at the "retrostang," Iacocca, Giugiaro. It's really noticeable from the side view. There should be some sort of flat deck area to "smooth" it out, unless Ford can find a way to really slim down the car and go with a lower and flatter profile.

stng2.jpg

stng.jpg

Another route is to change the greenhouse to be more lower and more angled, much like the Evos. The Giugiaro did this to some extent and it was about as close as you can get on a s197 body IMO, albeit it had a glass roof to give the appearance of uncompromised visibility.

BMW-M3_2010_1024x768_wallpaper_03.jpg

So with a combination of lower, flatter, wider, and a more sloped greenhouse, it can be done on the S550. I'm not holding my breath though. I thnk we get the same body style as the s197.
iacocca-mustang-red.jpg
retrostang.jpg
Giugiaro_Concept.jpg

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
For me, the current design is half way between a notch back (think '66 coupe) and fastback (think '66 fastback).
The 65-66 fast backs had flat horizontal trunks just like the current car. If anything they're proportionally longer. If the they're "true fastbacks" then the current car is as well.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The 65-66 fast backs had flat horizontal trunks just like the current car. If anything they're proportionally longer. If the they're "true fastbacks" then the current car is as well.
Oops.......I meant the later '67 and '68 :headbonk:

CoyoteMan

Regarding the sound, it sounds like the GT500 exhaust to me. A real nice throaty hum at low rev too.

Ford has emphasized the exhaust note of this next Mustang from the very beginning. Remember the teaser?

Any guesses which car will sound better, the 4 or the 6? I know the obvious answer is the 6 but will the turbo make much difference?

If they could make the 4 sound close to the V6, I would definitely consider paying a little extra for it especially if it's differentiated in other ways also.

OP
OP
Jarstang

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
First post updated with the full version of the clip (additional footage). Enjoy.

BlueVenom

Haa check the slow mo @ 2min mark.... drivers having a little fun with the photographer looks like they turned the camera on him. :lol:
Sponsored