Sponsored

Financing question

Boytano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mustang GT
In my search to find a Shelby, financing was a requirement of most cars for sale including the one I bought.

The dealer was not very negotiable on the interest rate. I’m tempted to refinance with my credit union to save money and give a middle finger to Ford…

Anyone have experience moving the loan from TD Bank to other. A friend told me it’s best to do it within 30 days of purchase too?

Difference in interest is %2.75 vs %6.14!
Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t hesitate!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I refinanced within a year with a local credit union and no issues. I took the dealer's recommended lender at a higher rate to get their sale perks knowing that I would eventually use my own financing in the future.

Just make sure that you don't have any pre-payment fees for your current loan.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
In my search to find a Shelby, financing was a requirement of most cars for sale including the one I bought.

The dealer was not very negotiable on the interest rate. I’m tempted to refinance with my credit union to save money and give a middle finger to Ford…

Anyone have experience moving the loan from TD Bank to other. A friend told me it’s best to do it within 30 days of purchase too?

The dealer gets a nice kickback from their financing firms. Check with them on how long you need to keep their financing before you can change. I have done it several times over the years. Used to be after 3 months you can move the loan and they still get their cut.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Boytano

Boytano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mustang GT
Yeah we asked them several times how long we needed to keep the loan. Salesman said 3 months. Finance guy said I can pay it off before the first payment but if I kept it a year that would be nice. But they were so greedy with the interest rate I don’t really care. It’s another form of ADM on top of adm so I’m not going to lose any sleep over their kickback…

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Edge ST, 2022 Mach1

Refi and save the money! 30 days is ideal because you won’t take the credit hit for each inquiry…they will all show but only count as 1 since they assume your shopping for a loan. I’ve never had finance agreement that has a pre-pay penalty or stipulates a required number of payments, you can double check but usually the dealer recommends making the first 3 payments because they won’t get their kick-back from the bank if you don’t.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah we asked them several times how long we needed to keep the loan. Salesman said 3 months. Finance guy said I can pay it off before the first payment but if I kept it a year that would be nice. But they were so greedy with the interest rate I don’t really care. It’s another form of ADM on top of adm so I’m not going to lose any sleep over their kickback…
As a side point, it always seemed like it was the salesman that got the comp. So if he/she did a good job, waiting a few months is no big deal.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
As a side point, it always seemed like it was the salesman that got the comp. So if he/she did a good job, waiting a few months is no big deal.
Depending on how much you financed, The difference could be a couple thousand $$$ interest paid between the refi.

I don't know about you, But I haven't liked any sales guy that much.

And seeing the Fed is likely to do another .75 rate hike I'd refi sooner than later.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on how much you financed, The difference could be a couple thousand $$$ interest paid between the refi.

I don't know about you, But I haven't liked any sales guy that much.

And seeing the Fed is likely to do another .75 rate hike I'd refi sooner than later.
I think it’s only a few hundred $$ difference for a couple of months….
When dealing for vehicles like these: a good, long-term relationship with your dealer is key. Over the many decades I have been buying cars, I’ve only bought from maybe 3 dealers. And they have a long memory.

OP
OP
Boytano

Boytano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mustang GT
Yeah I hear it burns a bridge with the dealer. But when it comes to allocation cars having a go to dealer doesn’t seem to mean much.

Only place I would recommend is Granger from the fun threads on Mach one deliveries. Can’t say buying the most expensive car on the lot was the most fun experience for me…

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it typically takes 30-60 days for the loan to 'show' on the clearing-house so until it does the CU may not let you re-fi. Also Refi rates are typically slightly worse than purchase rates.

But yes refi at your next opportunity.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I hear it burns a bridge with the dealer. But when it comes to allocation cars having a go to dealer doesn’t seem to mean much.
When my dealer got his only ‘09 GT500KR, he called me. When he received his GT350 & GT500 allocations, he called me. When I wanted a specific new car for the wife, I called him and he found it for me.
I bought 9 cars/trucks from that same guy at that same dealer. Will certainly go there next time. Your experiences may vary.

Damonfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
I refinanced pretty quickly on my last dealer financed loan. They showed no mercy in gauging on the interest rate. You know you can get a better rate but the dealer is easier to work with if you don’t negotiate that. The interest rates they float aren’t close to fair.
Sponsored