Sponsored

Finalizing my order. Auto or manual? EU

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Hey everyone, I'm about to finalize my order on a V8 coupe. Last question is auto or manual. Let me explain a bit why:

I've had manual cars before, but never one so powerful as the V8 Mustang, I drove an ecoboost manual and even that felt lively in the rear and wanted to slide all the time. My sole concern is safety. Seems to me that I need both hands on the wheel all the time with this car, and having to change gears might cause me to loose control of the car. Is my concern an exaggeration?

I've had fast, tail happy cars before but not with a manual. What do you guys think? I would prefer a manual, and while I do consider myself a fairly good driver, I'm not a professional. The automatic has paddle shifters with which I'm comfortable, but I haven't driven one as my dealer doesn't have one available at this time. TO those of you who've driven both how do you feel about the automatic? Is it a good one? Does it change gear quickly, or is it laggy like other run of the mill autos? Does it compare with say BMW's 8 speed auto which I found really good and fast shifting?

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Lots of guys trading in their manuals for autos, what does that tell you?

Automagic all the way.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
It performs on par with other automatics, but not with the top of the line such as BMW's 8 speed you mentioned. The beauty of the 6R80 is the ridiculous amount of power it can hold and the ease of fine tuning it to fit your driving style.

As far as the safety aspect, you may find the manual more to your liking because you can modulate the clutch and throttle more than you can an automatic (obviously). The 6R80 is a good transmission but I wouldn't say you would be safer driving that over the MT82.

DetroitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's a muscle car dude. Get the 3rd pedal. I don't care if the auto is faster by a barely noticeable amount. If you are that worried about it being tail happy, leave the traction control on. Even with 435HP, you really have to TRY to kick the ass out with it on. If that is your only concern, don't let it be. MANUAL.

Sponsored

OP
OP

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
It's a muscle car dude. Get the 3rd pedal. I don't care if the auto is faster by a barely noticeable amount. If you are that worried about it being tail happy, leave the traction control on. Even with 435HP, you really have to TRY to kick the ass out with it on. If that is your only concern, don't let it be. MANUAL.
That's what my heart tells me, but my head made the original post. :D

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Go with the manual. It is so much fun rowing through the gears!

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Before I placed my order I was about 60/40 auto/manual. After 9 months of owning the auto, my mind is still 60/40.

That said, if you DO order auto, get the 3.55 rear diff. That was the last option on my list, and I skipped it. Wish I had added it to my order now. Reason is that the 12.5% shorter gear livens up the auto feel, especially for 2nd gear.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Such a personal preference. I'd choose the manual for its ability to give you more control of the driving experience. If you choose an Auto, I'd suggest you wait one more year and get the new 10 speed coming out for the 2018 model year.

Sponsored

Oko3612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic PP 15 GT
I'd go for the manual. This is the first manual car I've owned and can say that it is very easy to control as long as you drive responsibly.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
if you want to be in the slower group of gt owners go manual. My Lund tune auto will snap your neck with lightning fast shifts and instant rev match down shifts. When your MT82 blows up and you miss shift and an Automatic M4 or any other "automatic" sports car walks away from you, you will regret getting a stick. I was on the manual band wagon for a while for a while but after driving a DCT and a tuned 6R80 I would never get a stick. Paddle shifts are just as fun and when you race your first MT82 and walk away in every gear you will be glad you didn't go that route.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
manual and get a mgw. duh.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Make sure you spend some time test driving both. I don't really think of this as a question about safety: you can break the tires loose in either if you step on the go pedal. The automatic is gonna feel a lot faster in light to spirited driving around town. Traded in my manual for an auto 2 weeks ago and don't regret it.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
1. Learn to control the throttle when turning.

2. Don't shift mid-turn

3. Get the manual, control the car fully.
Sponsored