P51Guy

P51Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premiun GT Guard PP
I do not want the government doing any more than stipulated in the constitution. Dump the epa, dept of ed & dept on energy. All useless duplication of what the states do. Time to start putting the brakes (Brembo)on this run away leviathan.

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't really see the fuss if I'm honest.

It's an unpopular opinion, but honestly, if you're going to convert your road car into a race car, yes, it should still meet emissions regulations. It's still polluting the atmosphere. Whether you drive it on or off road isn't something the engine cares about.

It's not like the EPA is saying you're not allowed to convert your car into a race car. It's only the emissions regulations you're not allowed to circumvent. Which means you can now go racing as much as you like, as long as your race car emits air that's as clean as on a street car. How can this be bad news?

Race your car the way it came from the factory. You can still race it, fit springs, wheels, tyres and all sorts of mods to it.

This sounds like great news, and progress, to me.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
The thing is just about everything pollutes, not enough people remove their cats for it to really make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I don't really see the fuss if I'm honest.

This sounds like great news, and progress, to me.
I try to avoid political internet discussions at all costs, but for me the issues are many. Also, since I quoted, Gryphon above, I need to add that this isn't a direct response to them and isn't meant to be antagonistic.

First, I believe we already have laws in place regarding emissions and how it impacts racing. So why add more laws (and bureaucracy to police it?)

Also, in the United States, the Legislative branch should really be the ones legislating and creating laws. The problem when it gets delegated down to groups like the EPA is that suddenly you have lawmakers that aren't elected officials.

I also wonder what kind of impact this will have on Roush, Steeda, and the other brick and mortars that make their living providing products that may soon be outlawed.

Lastly, we could be witnessing the first step towards eventual full zero emissions mandates. Which I guess is progress depending on your perspective. It will be a gradual slope. Today it's aftermarket intercoolers or tunes, tomorrow it's rev limiters (since you know, acceleration above 2000 RPM is killing the environment), the next day it's full electric only, then only self-driving cars. They can't jump to step four without getting people prepped for it by impacted just auto-enthusiasts first, then gradually impact more and more people until we're all in the same boat.

Does it help the environment? Sure I guess. But it's tough to really see just how much a cottage industry like aftermarket performance parts and amateur racing has such a negative impact on the environment overall. It seems like there would be bigger fish to fry?

It isn't tough to see how this is a first step towards complete removal of all internal combustion engines.

Glad I bought my car when I did. Hopefully it gets grandfathered into some set of cars that can be exempt from future laws being made by non-elected officials who have political agendas, but I doubt it.

-> Hopefully the last political post I ever make here. :headbonk:

:cheers:

JohnG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I signed both.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
EPA ruling on emissions of non-road vehicles - does this affect mods?

Saw this and though it was interesting as it (potentially) affects many of the mods that are available for the Mustang (Edit: After re-reading will not affect the Cobra Jet as it is purpose built for the track). Does this translate to EPA regulating MODS that are on the market legitimately? Most of the after-market MOD's get around this by stating "for off-road/track use only". But this is suggesting that even track use only cars would still have to meet EPA guidelines for emissions and would not be (legally) permitted to modify your car for track only use. Thoughts?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016...rict-road-to-racecar-conversions/?intcmp=hpff

Moderators: If this is misplaced please feel free to move it

Last edited:

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I signed it but the number didnt increase.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Just so folks do not have to click out to read, pasting the wording of the article here, would be interested to hear from the suppliers of mods that could change EPA emissions, is this something that is on your radar?

EPA proposal would restrict road to race car conversions
By Gary GasteluPublished February 09, 2016FoxNews.com

Recently proposed EPA automobile emissions rules could put the brakes on the popular pursuit of converting road cars into race cars for professional and amateur use, says a major automotive trade organization.

The Specialty Equipment Market Association, more commonly known as SEMA, raised the alarm after coming across a passage in the federal agency’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles - Phase 2 proposal that reads:

“Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become non-road vehicles or engines.”

According to SEMA, which represents the aftermarket parts and custom car industry, this passage means just what it says: Cars and trucks originally built and sold for street use would not be exempt from emissions rules if they are converted into competition vehicles.

And the EPA agrees.

An agency spokeswoman told Fox News that the proposal essentially restates what the EPA already considers to be the law.

“People may use EPA-certified motor vehicles for competition, but to protect public health from air pollution, the Clean Air Act has – since its inception – specifically prohibited tampering with or defeating the emission control systems on those vehicles,” she said.

She added that the updated rule “clarifies the distinction between motor vehicles and nonroad vehicles such as dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Unlike motor vehicles – which include cars, light trucks, and highway motorcycles – nonroad vehicles may, under certain circumstances, be modified for use in competitive events in ways that would otherwise be prohibited by the Clean Air Act.”

However, in a statement released to the media, SEMA CEO Chris Kersting argued that “this proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles. Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”

The EPA has not yet discussed how or if it plans to actively police the updated rules.

Race car builders often modify or remove the emissions systems from street legal vehicles to improve their performance. Many purpose-built race cars, including NASCAR Sprint Cup cars and factory drag racers like the Ford Mustang Cobra Jet, are not required to have certified emissions control systems, and the proposed rules do not appear to affect their status.

SEMA Vice President of Governmental Affairs Steve McDonald says the organization wasn’t properly notified of the proposal and originally missed it due to its inclusion in what it considers to be an unrelated rules package, but that it plans to oppose any changes to the status quo through all legal means.

The public comment period on the proposal, which is primarily concerned with the fuel efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions of large commercial vehicles, has ended. The EPA is currently reviewing submissions and expects to publish a final rule in July.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Signed. Whether you agree with the O/R part usage or not allowing a precident to be set of laws being written by none elected officials is something this country cannot allow.

Edit: nevermind my misinformed reasoning just sign it anyway! I'm not giving up my right to build a racecar!

Last edited:

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Signed. Whether you agree with the O/R part usage or not allowing a precident to be set of laws being written by none elected officials is something this country cannot allow.
The regulation was written and signed into law in 1970; this is a clarification.... 99% of laws aren't written by elected officials.

Still - sign the petition for what it's worth. ;)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
But how many here really do have race cars ? Five ? I am all for banning cat deletes and moronic mods like this so somebody has bragging rights for 10 more horsepower.
Im all for banning moronic statements like this. Cat deletes gain more then that once force induction enters the equation. Just because you dont have a need for it doesnt mean others dont. Dont be a dick.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
The regulation was written and signed into law in 1970; this is a clarification.... 99% of laws aren't written by elected officials.

Still - sign the petition for what it's worth. ;)
Technically, at this point, there are enough laws on the book that anything you want to do could be attempted under the umbrella of "clarification". Slippery slope that is happening regularly with respect to water rights, as well as other things. Anything that is slightly more tangible as a puddle of water is now regulation free game. We have a run-off creek that is considered by regulation as a "fish bearing stream" despite the fact that it is bone dry a third of the year, and has not seen a fish in it ever as it is runoff from nearby agricultural fields. and is miles from any river.
Sponsored