Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
People's mouths also drop when you tell them:

1. Ford Edge Sport MSRP = $46,000
2. Ford Explorer Sport MSRP = $53,000
3. Ford F-150 Limited SuperCrew MSRP = $68,000
And you see commercials advertising $10K off MSRP. Again, just feeding into what people hate about buying cars. MSRP is just a suggestion for people who don't like money.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone heard what Canadian and oversea sales numbers. :ninja:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Over at the other place,

"I live in a small N.E. Ms. town of approx 3500 with the Al. town five miles away having approx 6000. My son and another guy I know have the only Gen 6's in the area. There are probably 5 or so Gen 5's in the area. Point to ponder, there are probably around 20 Mustangs I see regularly and about 10 of them are convertibles of various years (some definitely "ragtops"). All are base models and probably ex-rentals at a rock bottom price. There is no doubt in my mind Ford floods many sunny states with rental Mustang verts that later make their way down the food chain."

And

"
Cars are getting too low to the ground. People want to be up higher. If they made a lifted Camaro with some mild off road abilities they'd sell 100k a month."

And

" Am I the only one who loves that these aren't on every corner. I could care less if Camaro is the sales leader. I like having a car that every other guy/gal is driving. I don't know that its Chevys goal either. They want to be profitable, not whore the cars out. Also, another thing to maybe note and maybe its already been stated but how many of the sales of each are to rental companies?...."

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Yep. People will argue with incentives and discounts you can still get one significantly below MSRP. Maybe that's Ford's strategy - to MSRP high to get who they can, but deal low to get the rest. I think this is a flawed strategy as the high sticker turns off a lot of people and just reinforces what people hate most about buying cars, which is the negotiation game. Sticker, invoice, holdbacks, incentives, rebates etc. make it hard to know what the "real" or good price is.
The high incentives are there to cover people's negative equity (upside down loans) and still qualify for a new loan at MSRP. I think the average car loan is upside down by about 4000.00 after 2 years and if the person has traded, say, every 4 years, that is a lot of money to hide in the deal after a few cars...

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The segment share chart shows what is happening... Challenger is bigger, more comfortable, better equipped at any price point and the styling is iconic. It would be interesting to see the average age of owners for each car. I suspect the Challenger would have older drivers. If they made a Challenger vert, they would really kill the Mustang and Camaro.
The car has aged better than any recent American car I can think of. Plus, they have some great advertising, which Ford and Chevy don't have.
segment share.jpg

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
The high incentives are there to cover people's negative equity (upside down loans) and still qualify for a new loan at MSRP. I think the average car loan is upside down by about 4000.00 after 2 years and if the person has traded, say, every 4 years, that is a lot of money to hide in the deal after a few cars...
Maybe. Even more so for a lease since the finance company can write off the depreciation (that doesn't actually exist). They can make money while they lose money.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
It being winter doesn't matter. Because you're comparing the same time of year its essentially an apples to apples comparison when not considering the 2018 facelift etc.
This Feb was considerably worse for snow and cold in MN than last year. You string some nice 40-50F days together in Feb in MN and you will sell some Mustangs.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
When I priced out the wife's '18 GT Convertible it was just north of 52K, so the sales decrease doesn't surprise me that much. Younger kids just can't afford the GT as they did in the past, so that leaves a smaller amount of buyers. I don't think I've seen a single '18 on the road since they were released. The Mustang is creeping into the Corvette price category, and in my mind that ain't good for Ford.
I finally saw one Wednesday. Pretty sure it was first one I've seen as well

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I finally saw one Wednesday. Pretty sure it was first one I've seen as well
:thumbsup: That's one more than I have seen my friend. I've been in Myrtle Beach, SC for two weeks, a place for nice sporty cars, and haven't even seen an '18 here. Except for the ones at the Ford dealerships. :D

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
:rant:This can be argued from all ends. Curious to see the sales once Spring & then Summer. No reason to :faint:

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
The segment share chart shows what is happening... Challenger is bigger, more comfortable, better equipped at any price point and the styling is iconic. It would be interesting to see the average age of owners for each car. I suspect the Challenger would have older drivers. If they made a Challenger vert, they would really kill the Mustang and Camaro.
The car has aged better than any recent American car I can think of. Plus, they have some great advertising, which Ford and Chevy don't have.
I hate stacked charts like that. They are useful for a total category, but rough for comparisons between the things that make up the category. :-/

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
When I priced out the wife's '18 GT Convertible it was just north of 52K, so the sales decrease doesn't surprise me that much. Younger kids just can't afford the GT as they did in the past, so that leaves a smaller amount of buyers. I don't think I've seen a single '18 on the road since they were released. The Mustang is creeping into the Corvette price category, and in my mind that ain't good for Ford.
While that gets it into base Stingray category ($56,590), spec it out to match your GT from a feature perspective & your well above that.

My GT: $57,500 MSRP
Similar Stingray convertible: $67,175 MSRP

& that's not how I would want to order it, the other features I'd want would push it above $70k.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Gt PP1 with 301a $41990 msrp. Discounts $7000 To $7500. Depends on which plan you use.
C7 1LT GS can be had for $58K all day. If you have a GM MasterCard even better. Extra $3k max.
Sponsored

Last edited: