Expectations for Pagid RSL 29 Pads

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Audi Q7 Premium
Hey all, wondering if any of you can give me a heads up on what to expect both at the track and on the street as I switch from the OEM pads to a set of Pagid RSL 29 pads.

for the street, the car is a grocery getter that sees about 2500 miles per year. Still have the original super sport tires on from 2017 so really just asking about an occasional canyon run but mostly going stop light to stop light.

for the track, I’m running 1:44 at Laguna Seca and that’s what I’ll be trying to improve on. Running Cup 2 tires. My next track sessions will be the last I squeeze out of these before I get a new set, planning to stick with Cup 2 unless y’all talk me out of it.

bedding in advice also welcome.
Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I've not run those in a Mustang but have in a E90 BMW M3 (also a heavy car). They are excellent pads. Great initial bite and they don't really have to be hot to start working. However, I'm of the opinion that track pads for the track and street pads for the street.
These pads are moderately squeaky on the street and I'm not sure I'd trust them for a panic-type stop fully cold with no heat in them. They'll stop, but I'm willing to wager the stopping distance might be significantly longer than stock. The other thing is these pads have really decent pad life even though there's not really all that much material on them (this of course is limited by caliper and rotor factors).
If you're going to run top tier pads then Pagid, Endless and Cobalt Friction (my favorite) it's hard to go wrong. There are much cheaper options that many people like, but if you're opinion is that you want to have a really premium pad then the Pagid is a really good choice. Have fun, envy you, still waiting for my car.

Bedding- Pagid has a specific recommendation for bedding (they have YouTube of this) which probably gives longer pad life, but it was never practical for me, so I did 1-2 medium laps then went to full-on. Pagid wants you to get the pad really smoking hot, then fully cool it down, before track use. My approach was not optimal, but it worked for me.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Pagid's recommended procedure is somewhat different from that of other brake pad mfrs. You can also opt for having the pads "pre-bedded" for you.

RECOMMENDED ON VEHICLE BEDDING IN PROCEDURE
Breaking-in

Creating a perfect contact-pattern between rotor and brake pad surface.
10 stops with mid pressure and low temperature from 150 km/h (90 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH).
Heating-up
Warm up in order to initiate some core heat in the whole brake system.
A sequence of 5 stops with medium to high pressure from 180 km/h (112 MPH) to approximately 60 km/h (40 MPH) with maximum acceleration between the stops.
Recovery Stops
3 to 5 stops with mid pressure from 150 km/h (90 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH).

Norm

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hey all, wondering if any of you can give me a heads up on what to expect both at the track and on the street as I switch from the OEM pads to a set of Pagid RSL 29 pads.

for the street, the car is a grocery getter that sees about 2500 miles per year. Still have the original super sport tires on from 2017 so really just asking about an occasional canyon run but mostly going stop light to stop light.

for the track, I’m running 1:44 at Laguna Seca and that’s what I’ll be trying to improve on. Running Cup 2 tires. My next track sessions will be the last I squeeze out of these before I get a new set, planning to stick with Cup 2 unless y’all talk me out of it.

bedding in advice also welcome.
Like @VictorH, I've run RSL29's in an E92 M3. I've also run them in my GT350, both with iron rotors and with carbon ceramics. Basically, install them and forget them. They're quiet in the GT350 calipers, they don't make a lot of dust on the street, and for the track they're fantastic.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
So, where exactly are you going to do that bedding procedure? Street? That would be stupid and track, most of us run DE or time trials and you can't go out with a group and diddle around bedding in your pads like that. That's why you're stuck with some compromise.

Sponsored

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Like @VictorH, I've run RSL29's in an E92 M3. I've also run them in my GT350, both with iron rotors and with carbon ceramics. Basically, install them and forget them. They're quiet in the GT350 calipers, they don't make a lot of dust on the street, and for the track they're fantastic.
Mine wail like a banshee, if you have a secret for them to be quiet I'm all ears... with what little hearing I have left LOL

I ran these for my last track day when the motor blew up. They were rock solid, I also use Castrol SRF and I had no brake fade and the petal feel was firm. I had no issues whatsoever, I plan to run them from now on.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
So, where exactly are you going to do that bedding procedure? Street? That would be stupid and track, most of us run DE or time trials and you can't go out with a group and diddle around bedding in your pads like that. That's why you're stuck with some compromise.
are you telling us you don’t bed in your brakes in? LOL

I will bed them in on the local expressway which has stop lights and a 50mph speed limit. This will be a low gas mileage but totally legal endeavor.

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
are you telling us you don’t bed in your brakes in? LOL

I will bed them in on the local expressway which has stop lights and a 50mph speed limit. This will be a low gas mileage but totally legal endeavor.
NOW I see what you were responding to. I shouldn’t read posts recent to oldest.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
No worries! But you can you see the "proper" Pagid procedure is a bit cumbersome. I just know, I'm not going to do repeated 90 MPH or 100MPH to 50 MPH runs on the street. Talk to your friends, see what they do and take your pick!

OP
OP
ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
No worries! But you can you see the "proper" Pagid procedure is a bit cumbersome. I just know, I'm not going to do repeated 90 MPH or 100MPH to 50 MPH runs on the street. Talk to your friends, see what they do and take your pick!
yeah it sounds like pre bedding would be the way to go for the truly serious but I assume that means either buying new rotors or shipping them the ones on the car. I just replaced the rotors and I don’t feel like shipping those manholes back and forth so I’ll try bedding them like a normal person and see where that gets me. I can approximate what they’re looking for on the highway/expressway but not precisely what they are recommending. I guess they assume everyone has a private airfield to access or something.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I recently put Pagid RS-19 on my 993 before a couple days on track. For bedding, I went out late at night on a local highway (in Chicago, that means "crowded but moving" instead of "gridlock"), and hit an area with a bunch of off-ramps and on-ramps so I could do 60mph-20mph a bunch of times, then tried to get a couple good hard 80-40 mph type stops - not enough to terrify traffic, but enough to get good heat in the pads and start to smell them. You can feel the bite increasing as you do this.

Then I drove normally and tried to minimize brake use on the way to the track. At the track, I did a couple normal laps getting the brakes hot, then did basically a full "no-brakes" cool-down style lap to cool them off, then hammered it. No issues. The main thing is the initial seating and getting them hot enough to really conform to the rotor, then getting them cool before extended high-temp use. I don't think you have to follow the procedure exactly if you accomplish those goals.
Sponsored