Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
A couple weeks ago I decided to finally step things up and create a hood vent for the GT500. I always felt like the car could use a little more aggression, and this is one of the points I will hit. The idea here is to create something that is not just a re-pop of the OEM piece. Something with factory fitment, jaw dropping aesthetics, and racecar functionality. Good to go on a stock GT500 or raced out monster. A phone call to my buddy Curtis at Archetype Racing helped to set things in motion, and will compliment their forthcoming aero.

Phase 1 of the GT500 hood vent project is finished. 3D scans of the OEM piece have been completed and we are now into the design phase. This next week will hopefully get us through design changes and preparing to create an actual mold. The learning process here will be cool too, as this is the first time I have brought a carbon component to market.

I will be exploring several different carbon fiber options to offer and really make something unique. I can tell you now that a Lamborghini Performante style forged carbon is at the top of my list. Cost will come later after we figure out the actual design changes, materials used and, production cost. I am not in this to gouge people though, just want to build awesome parts for me and my buddies. Fingers crossed I am shooting to have an actual piece on my car for testing by November. Ideally with finished production pieces going out before Thanksgiving if everything works out.

Check out some of the 3D scans and let me know what type of design elements you would want to see.

1 Scan Mock Up.jpg
Capture4.JPG

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Sponsored

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
A couple weeks ago I decided to finally step things up and create a hood vent for the GT500. I always felt like the car could use a little more aggression, and this is one of the points I will hit. The idea here is to create something that is not just a re-pop of the OEM piece. Something with factory fitment, jaw dropping aesthetics, and racecar functionality. Good to go on a stock GT500 or raced out monster. A phone call to my buddy Curtis at Archetype Racing helped to set things in motion, and will compliment their forthcoming aero.

Phase 1 of the GT500 hood vent project is finished. 3D scans of the OEM piece have been completed and we are now into the design phase. This next week will hopefully get us through design changes and preparing to create an actual mold. The learning process here will be cool too, as this is the first time I have brought a carbon component to market.

I will be exploring several different carbon fiber options to offer and really make something unique. I can tell you now that a Lamborghini Performante style forged carbon is at the top of my list. Cost will come later after we figure out the actual design changes, materials used and, production cost. I am not in this to gouge people though, just want to build awesome parts for me and my buddies. Fingers crossed I am shooting to have an actual piece on my car for testing by November. Ideally with finished production pieces going out before Thanksgiving if everything works out.

Check out some of the 3D scans and let me know what type of design elements you would want to see.

1 Scan Mock Up.jpg
Capture4.JPG

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Now this is what I am looking forward to! Definitely interested. I really like the VORSTEINER VINCENZO EDIZIONE AERO FRONT Fender for the Huracan. Make some fenders while you are at it lol.
334117DF-B8C4-41AB-9C63-C536263C8EB9.jpeg

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
I dig it. Can’t wait to see what you end up with. Forged Carbon would look pretty sweet.

Sponsored

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
One thing I don’t like about the OEM vent are the square supports running down the center. You will need some support just a different shape rounded off or teardrop.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Very very interested in seeing where this goes. Was excited to even see this posted.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Just getting started.... playing with the center vent support removed...

3D2A1839-2D65-4711-9B82-4D77B2379925.jpeg

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I love me a good render. Very nice T!

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, I’m liking the look of this. Hopefully it will be rigid enough, without the center support.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
If you can form and vacuum mold it from Carbon Fiber, you wouldn't need the center stack. The "wing" shape can also be modified to ensure additional strength, ensuring no center support is necessary.
I'm pretty darn sure it is there OEM due to it being plastic, not real strong, especially when needed at 150-180.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I agree, I’m liking the look of this. Hopefully it will be rigid enough, without the center support.
Carbon fiber is a much more rigid material than the plastic OEM material. Similar to what comes on the GT4 mustang. With the right materials it’s not needed.

The slick method though is to move the support to the bottom where it can’t be seen

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If you can form and vacuum mold it from Carbon Fiber, you wouldn't need the center stack. The "wing" shape can also be modified to ensure additional strength, ensuring no center support is necessary.
I'm pretty darn sure it is there OEM due to it being plastic, not real strong, especially when needed at 150-180.
Precisely. The OEM plastic does not have the rigidity that the carbon fiber does. It’s not needed on the GT4 Mustang for that reason.
Sponsored