Sponsored

Exhaust install price

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
What is a pretty typical amount for a shop or dealer to install a cat back exhaust? I typically do it myself but just out of curiosity wanted to know if time and hassle is worth it for me.
Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I was charged an hour and a half for labor at $90/hr at my dealer. Bought the exhaust through their Parts department.

<I don't know what Patty's are but autocorrect is a ***ch>

Last edited:

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I designed my own and charged 125 counting mufflers

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Throw it on some stands and do it yourself. I once paid a Midas Muffler shop to install a car back on my brand new 1996 Mustang GT and the installer did a crappy job, pipes weren’t straight, nor were they the same length. This was the second time that I had paid a shop to work on one of my toys. I ended up buying another new cat back and installing it myself a week later because unF’n what the guy at the muffler shop had done was impossible (u-clamps were so tight they kinked the pipe) and I couldn’t get them apart. It was also what led to me deciding to do as much of my own work as possible. Doing it yourself will ensure everything is even, straight and done correctly and not just eyeballed like most shops probably do. I always break out a tape measure when doing my exhaust installations because a crooked pipe or having one side longer than the other would drive me nuts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DemonGT

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was charged an hour and a half for labor at $90/hr at my dealer. Bought the exhaust through their patty’s department.
Well crap for that price I'd just assume the dealer do it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DemonGT

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if brand matters? Iv already got a Corsa system in the basement.

Super-Genius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Oxford White Mustang GT
I wonder if brand matters? Iv already got a Corsa system in the basement.
Good question, I dunno if they wanna sell it to install it or what that rule is. Give your sales person a call

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
A lot of them will let you just roll the cost into the price of the car.
My dealership offered Roush and FP by Borla
I put the Roush P2 blower on my second car and the dealer got it all on 0% financing. They had to lower the price of the car a bit to qualify but they still did it.

Most places I've seen charge more than my Ford dealer.

Last edited:

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
I paid $250 for the muffler shop to installed my borla atak catback. It was one of shop that have high rating reviews. However, I wouldn’t go back to that one. It was not very center. The right side was a little of center and I mentioned it. The owner told me it’s how it is and can’t be adjusted anymore. I don’t think they realize that I was looking at the installation while I was on the phone. Also, I never saw they even try to align it before they tighten up the clamps.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I paid $250 for the muffler shop to installed my borla atak catback. It was one of shop that have high rating reviews. However, I wouldn’t go back to that one. It was not very center. The right side was a little of center and I mentioned it. The owner told me it’s how it is and can’t be adjusted anymore. I don’t think they realize that I was looking at the installation while I was on the phone. Also, I never saw they even try to align it before they tighten up the clamps.
Sounds like the installer was lazy as hell. if they didn’t use U-clamps then they can be adjusted with no problem. Maybe try contacting the manager and telling him what his installer said and then request that it be redone correctly.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Nobody will install an exhaust as good as the car owner because most workers are just there for a paycheck. Keep that in mind when looking around for a shop.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
$125 to install my Borla S Type cat back. In and out in an hour.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
I had a side exhaust fabbed up and installed on other mustang when i was in high school. i showed up with flowmasters, purchased tips from him, and he did the rest. i basically just said i wanted those mufflers used and where i wanted the tips to exit. i believe i paid about $150 for labor, maybe around 2005 or so?? it was not mandrel bent or anything fancy like you'd get with buying a $1k side exhaust but I wasnt expecting that, didnt need that, and i thought it was actually pretty good for what it was, and lasted a very long time. this was all purely fabbing something up, not just installing something that already comes designed for the vehicle with hangers and all. i cant see a shop needing more than an hour's worth of labor time to install a cat back designed for the car.