Exhaust in California

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401a package
Hey so im a nood when it comes to exhaust stuff and i wanted to see what exhaust i could have done, let me say that differently so to my understanding having no cats was a huge no go but is that also if i delete my mufflers or resonator? so meaning anything you is illegal? Also where would i smog check my car then? thanks lol i know.... stupid questions
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
An axle back will not cause an issue. Hell, Borla's R&D is in Oxnard. Call them and ask. Or, any of the major forum vendors such as Steeda. They sell all over the world and can tell you what will and will not pass in CA.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Exhaust: Dump clutch / neutral when cop spotted.

Smog: There is a dude....

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cat delete with stock exhaust is perfect for California. Not too loud but has a good rumble and in my opinion allows better flow. Have cat delete and e85 flex tune world of a difference.

When it comes to California it just really depends on where you live and what areas you mostly commute through. I was cat delete and stainless works h pipe catback (pretty loud and deep even while cruising) Was fine for a year then passed through riverside county and got state reffed and ticketed.

Sponsored

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’d say invest in mak cat delete pipes or something similar. Have them professionally installed and have flanges installed on the cats and swap when smog is needed. That’s what I’m doing. Smog won’t be an issue nor any encounter with law enforcement( if no other obvious mods are seen). Intakes are a dead give away and gives them an excuse to assume you’re modded further if it’s not a carb complaint one or one like steedas closed box that looks stock. They cannot see the pipes through the engine bay, I say I am stock and to check under the car to see I still have my resonators and mufflers. Then I explain that’s just how a v8 engine sounds in a muscle car and it has worked so far.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Cat delete with stock exhaust is perfect for California. Not too loud but has a good rumble and in my opinion allows better flow. Have cat delete and e85 flex tune world of a difference.

When it comes to California it just really depends on where you live and what areas you mostly commute through. I was cat delete and stainless works h pipe catback (pretty loud and deep even while cruising) Was fine for a year then passed through riverside county and got state reffed and ticketed.
What do you do for smog?

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What do you do for smog?

I’d say invest in mak cat delete pipes or something similar. Have them professionally installed and have flanges installed on the cats and swap when smog is needed. That’s what I’m doing. Smog won’t be an issue nor any encounter with law enforcement( if no other obvious mods are seen). Intakes are a dead give away and gives them an excuse to assume you’re modded further if it’s not a carb complaint one or one like steedas closed box that looks stock. They cannot see the pipes through the engine bay, I say I am stock and to check under the car to see I still have my resonators and mufflers. Then I explain that’s just how a v8 engine sounds in a muscle car and it has worked so far.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Good lord... I didn't even drink last night.

Question, one of the cats is welded to the headers. How would that come into play?

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good lord... I didn't even drink last night.

Question, one of the cats is connected to the headers. How would that come into play?
hahah sorry just lots of info to share. You have to cut it off and have flanges to weld on. One on the header and the other on the cat you cut off so you can easily swap it.

Sponsored

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not if you intend to keep your car street legal, pass SMOG tests, and not stink. But yeah otherwise it's perfect for California...
If you want to keep it street legal then you’d stay away from modding anything to do with the emissions, exhaust and engine. Unless carb compliant part which are ridiculously expensive. Like I mentioned; if you read my previous posts, Smog would be no issue if you weld on flanges and swap when it’s time to test. As far as stench i don’t have that issue because I am on e85 and it smells delicious.

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
He's a newbie who wants to know what exhaust mods he can do in CA.
Telling him to remove the cats is the worst possible advice you could've given him.
Good advice would've been to tell him to leave the cats alone and do a resonator delete / H pipe / X pipe or any type of aftermarket cat-back.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I have a Corsa Sport. Never had any issues with police, but I also don't hoon around all the time.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Do they even smog new cars in komnifornia anymore. I have a 2015 F150 and never been required to have it tested.
Sponsored