2015 mustang gt 5.0
and you forgot about harley's...
Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Yeah but harleys are legal like that. I haven't had a cop problem in a long time, and I live in a town notorious for cops ticketing shit on cars. I got one on an older import many moons ago. I argued that the mustangs around town were louder...and he said "they're supposed to sound like that"...so I'm on the right side of the line now.

If there are cops around, I keep it under 2500 and barely hit the throttle. Sometimes start in 2nd. I haven't had any issues yet. :knocksonwood:

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Edge 2013 F150
A ton of cops ride Harley's so they most likely won't shoot themselves in the foot! (Lol)

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
The bottom line is that any cop that wants to be a dick can give you a modified exhaust ticket in california for pretty much anything. Be smart on where, when and how you drive, and be respectful when dealing with law enforcement, and you will prolly be just fine.
this ^

i was pulled over for speeding on the highway so my exhaust was never really "loud" because i didnt accelerate around the cop.
He stopped to read my exhaust tips before he walked up to my side window though, and first thing he mentioned was the brand of my exhaust before he said anything else to me. He was looking to be a dick without even hearing them

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Let's just say if it was an option, I'd be living on the east coast.
I'm out here after spending most of my life in CA and I'd love to go back. CA is over regulated but there isnt another state in the nation where you can surf and ski within two hours of one another. It doesnt sound like anything special to people that havent done it. Southern CA offers more to do in close proximity that just about anywhere in the world (and I've traveled a lot of it). While there are some intrusive gun laws, it really isnt the end of the world (I'm a retired Marine and have my fair share of them) and there is some fantastic hunting in the state.

On the down side, the Pacific is frickin freezing ass cold even in the summer! If I could work the same job I have here back in San Diego, I'd be gone in a second!

Edit: as for the actual question, the regulation is 95dB like previously stated. CARB approval is another bone of contention.

Sponsored

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I live in the Bay Area and have a magna flow comp cat, and a MAP intake for about 4k miles. No problems what so ever with law enforcement. Also have 5% tint all around except windshield for about 1k miles. So far so good.

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
I just got pulled over in downtown LA last night and got a fix it ticket. I have stock headers and cats. Only an MBRP cat back exhaust. I was pulled over while sitting at a light idling. We were parked on the side prior to this doing a photoshoot. This cop pulled over 2 other cars while we were shooting. And then he sat there and waited for us to crank our cars to leave. Dude saw our cars and knew we had something done and was just waiting for my friend and I.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
First time buying an aftermarket part for my car and curious. Decided to buy the magnaflow competition catback and was wondering what is considered illegal ? The emission, sound or etc, and if i do get pulled over do i just get a fix it ticket like not having a front license plate or is it something much worse?
All of our cat-backs are fully emissions compliant. We're based in SoCal and all of our products are manufactured here too. As far as sound levels, we offer a couple of different systems, some louder than others, so that you'll have some options when it comes time to buy. If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot us a PM or give us a call and we'd be happy to help you out!

davidw76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Premium w PP & Corsa Xtreme
All of our cat-backs are fully emissions compliant. We're based in SoCal and all of our products are manufactured here too. As far as sound levels, we offer a couple of different systems, some louder than others, so that you'll have some options when it comes time to buy. If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot us a PM or give us a call and we'd be happy to help you out!
It's sure amazes me how many innovative, world class companies are founded and based in California considering it's run by a bunch of "libtards" and commies! </sarcasm>

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Most departments have a mix of officers...

Some are gun oriented and hate these bullshit Ca gun laws that seem to be modeled after "rules for thee but not for me" when you have assholes like Senator Leeland Yee involved with black market gun sales while drafting gun control laws.

Other officers are not even remotely gun oriented and are flat out clueless when it comes to knowing how to spot an illegal gun much less shoot or maintain their own gun.

Same with vehicles. Some have loud as shit custom Harleys. Others have custom cars that ar all varieties of loud and non-compliant.

Others have a hard on for every damn vehicle infraction they can find and do not believe in warnings.

While some departments may be pretty laid back it only takes the one guy to ruin your night. You know the odds and you decide to play the game.

/drives modded 95 Cobra with flowmasters, modded 05 GT with Borlas, and a 2015 GT that will get an exhaust because it is too damn quiet.

Many cops use the vehicle code as probable cause for legal detention and to snoop. Warnings often given rather than citations.

When I drive down south to non-friendly territory I modify my behavior in the city.

Sponsored

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
With a cat back all that you will be changing is your mufflers and resonator, neither of which are emissions related, so you will be fine in terms of smog. Sound however, like others have mentioned, cops can just claim your exhaust is too loud and give you a fix it ticket.

albsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
If anyone's wondering I had my stock exhaust tested last week at the ref, its 91.4 db....
The legal limit is 95db so I'd imagine any aftermarket exhaust is pretty much illegal noise-wise here. But as everyone else has already stated as long as your setup isn't completely crazy, or if you keep it quiet near the police you should be fine most of the time :thumbsup: :shrug:

RobMustang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Automatic
I had a custom Magnaflow exhaust on my 87 Supra and I got pulled over 3 times, each time though I was respectful so I just got off with a warning.

Just enjoy your exhaust, and be mindful of your surroundings when you want to have fun with it. 2 of the three times I got pulled over I will admit I was getting a bit too rev happy so the officer heard it in the upper RPM's.
Sponsored