coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
A couple comments:

1) There is a reason the state is referred to by many as Commifornia.

Signage is required to notify motorists before they enter an enforcement zone.

A "sound-activated enforcement system" means sensors are activated when noise levels exceed legal limits, and smart cameras are used "to obtain a clear photograph of a vehicle license plate,"

2) Bets on if this system is perpetually down due to vandalism?

First time offenders will not be charged and only subsequent violations will incur fines. Additionally, participating city governments are required to create payment plans, deferment options, and fine waivers for low-income vehicle owners who demonstrate a temporary or indefinite inability to pay.

3) Just be poor so the rule doesn't apply. Kind of a tough argument when driving a $40k+ car unfortunately.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
More bullshit to siphon money out of your pocket and into the state's. But hey maybe if cops dont have to write exhaust tickets themselves they will have more time to fight real crime :cwl:

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Just register your car in someone else's name. 😈

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Up here in NorCal, we actually have red light cameras. Capitola PD has them and they collect a boat load of dough. Just the place who would try this with the noise sensors. Of course…when was the last time you heard a motorcycle with a quiet exhaust? Seems they would get popped lots!

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I took extensive classes in Noise due to nature of my work. I can tell you right now that this system will not hold up. If that camera flags you, all you have to prove is that there was possible interference of sound. Noise is always difficult to examine where it's coming from when there are multiplesources of it. When you're talking about moving vehicles, it's even harder trying to distinguish which one is making the most noise without some bias involved.

tarrol

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrei
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT/CS 6MT
I took extensive classes in Noise due to nature of my work. I can tell you right now that this system will not hold up. If that camera flags you, all you have to prove is that there was possible interference of sound. Noise is always difficult to examine where it's coming from when there are multiplesources of it. When you're talking about moving vehicles, it's even harder trying to distinguish which one is making the most noise without some bias involved.
I had similar thoughts. Rev bombing on the I-5 in standstill traffic with a catless straightpipe? Wasn't me, officer. Sonic accuracy is so difficult to achieve that it's the human checking the footage's best guess on who it is making noise, and that can be incredibly subjective. Feel like a lot of this will get thrown out as soon as it gets to court.

Distance is also big when it comes to sound. 95DB at the muffler is not 95DB from the other side of a six lane highway. If it's calibrated to the minimum, who's to say a 'straight piped' crow sitting on top of the microphone won't set it off with a caw? :cwl:

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
It's not going to work, and I doubt it is going to be a problem for most. If you've been to a sound-controlled race track, you'd probably get an idea of what and how loud things are, as they're usually measured at 50 feet from the track, and 93-95 is a common limit. So if you're the type of person who has to worry about black flags, also realize that they're getting you at full WOT and probably on some uphill portion, right? If they're running that same filter/level on cameras in the middle of town, I just don't see how you could trip it at anything other than full WOT.

Also don't forget for a second the insane tales of doubt that you or a reasonably competent traffic/defense attorney could easily muster up, even if you are the sole participant in the photo. Chalk it up to yet another tax on the stupids, paid for by the stupids, cui bono?

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
They're not allowed to use the cameras to enforce running lights, so how is noise going to work?
Signage isn't required and they do use them for running red lights. However since you don't sign the ticket you don't get points on your lic

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Fear mongering and good luck with this.

1. This is only going into 6 cities for the pilot. The cost of development and execution will surely be detrimental. Ask any person that votes out here.

2. If any car is close to you you can argue it was the other. For example, when looking at noise violations at the track, they have to prove it's you and can't flag you if your close to another vehicle. At an intersection, your chances of being next to another vehicle is insanely high.

3. In regards to comments about generating income for a municipality, that's not necessarily true. Let's look at red light cameras. Those were developed and more than likely installed by a third party. The municipality leases these systems from the company and a lot of the income generated by these violations go to the lease.

Yes there are a handful of cars that'll blow sound in stock form. However, If your worried about blowing sound in your pony maybe you should rethink your exhaust (?)
Sponsored