Sponsored

California aftermarket exhaust law

Qyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 10A
First time buying an aftermarket part for my car and curious. Decided to buy the magnaflow competition catback and was wondering what is considered illegal ? The emission, sound or etc, and if i do get pulled over do i just get a fix it ticket like not having a front license plate or is it something much worse?
Sponsored

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
Basically any emission related modification you make to your car is illegal in California. I would not worry about getting pulled over for your exhaust, I have the Corsa Xtreme and that is probably the loudest out there. If you were to add cat less headers, then yeah that can be a big problem if you get pulled over.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Just keep an eye out for LE officers and try to stay off the loud pedal if you are in close proximity. If they deem your exhaust to be too loud, they can site you a fix it ticket for having a modified exhaust.

Just generally be respectful in residential areas, and keep it down around the LEO's, and you should have hassle free motoring.

03ramit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Dodge Ram
The best thing to do is move out of CA and get away from all the BS laws. The state has regulated away your ability to mod your car, buy the gun you want, and how much you can water your grass. Why on earth would any sane individual want to stay?

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
the law is you cannot exceed 95 decibels, as long as you don't mess with the cats or anything before them you should be good.

http://www.bobsmuffler.com/noise.htm

headers, even catted ones without approval are an auto fail. I had a friend whose car with tune and aftermarket cat had emissions below stock, and still failed.

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
You can be topless in Texas. [emoji57][emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well the point of the photo was the fun canyon road to the Pacific Ocean. :thumbsup:

You can't enjoy that in TX. ;)

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Well the point of the photo was the fun canyon road to the Pacific Ocean. :thumbsup:

You can't enjoy that in TX. ;)
True true, but can you legally go 85MPH on your canyon road to the pacific ocean?

Let's face the facts, Texas is just superior to California. :D;)

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
They won't mess with you out there. The only people stopped for exhaust are douches in their straight piped Civics. My Cobra was beyond loud and I passed cops at RPM and never had a problem. Don't think too hard about it.

Sponsored

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
True true, but can you legally go 85MPH on your canyon road to the pacific ocean?

Let's face the facts, Texas is just superior to California. :D;)
It's a canyon road. Trust me, you wouldn't want to go anywhere near 85 mph.

TX will be superior when it has Pacific Ocean views like the one in my pic. ;)

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
The best thing to do is move out of CA and get away from all the BS laws. The state has regulated away your ability to mod your car, buy the gun you want, and how much you can water your grass. Why on earth would any sane individual want to stay?
This coming from someone living in Idaho:lol:

Like you said, to each their own:thumbsup:

I don't care about any of the laws or regulations they have here...everything gets over exaggerated. People still mod their cars like crazy here, I water my grass whenever I want...I'm living the true American Dream here:first:

OP
OP

Qyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 10A
am i messing with the catalytic converter if is switch out the catback only? very new to this kind of stuff.

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
There are many nice places all over the country with arguably better views than that's. But to each his own.
I never said it was the best view in the country. The question was raised on why anyone would stay in California and i gave a visual example of some of the best canyon roads in the country that have the bonus of leading to the ocean.

Why do you think Ford introduced the world's press to the S550 in this exact location of the country? :ford:
Sponsored