2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
What ever happens I will be one of the last to buy an EV But I might settle for a Hybrid. When an EV is produced where the battery will last for 25 years and is no larger than a gym bag count me in.
And have a 500 mile range and can go from 20% to 80% charge in 5 minutes or less.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
size of the country has nothing to do with it , we are not driving across the country. Just normal day to day use of the average person.

in USA 95% of trips are less than 31 miles and I think 60% are less than 6 miles From memory.
That doesn't mean that EVs work for most people. When you need the range, you need the range. Just because 95% of trips are 31 miles, doesn't mean that a vehicle that can barely do those 95% of trips works for 100% of people's driving.

The vehicle either does 100% of what people need, or they're not going to buy it. Why would you buy a tool that only does 95% of the job?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you buy a tool that only does 95% of the job?
Because for everything else there is Grayhound. Or MasterCard, or an illegal who will work under the table for less than the correct tool would have cost me.

The whole range thing, eg over 100 miles or so is silly. If you have a charge point at either end, that actually works, and is available without a long queue, then electric runabouts can work well enough.

If I'm going outside 50 mile radius, a rental car can suffice.

The 2021+ plugin hybrid soccer van from Chrysler was programmed by the biggest retards on the planet, completely eviscerating the benefits of the powwer train. I've posted about that elsewhere.

Evs might sound good in the abstract, but if it's a severe fire hazard, or uninsurable because the mechanical engineers are friggin stupid, it doesn't matter. The consumer will reject.

Last edited:

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
so ford and GM stopping EV production and now selling all their EV's at a loss because the market doesn't want them isn't evidence that the market doesn't want them?

don't be pedantic about market crash. when we say market we're talking about the desire for people to own EV's so maybe a crash can't happen because most people didn't want that trash to begin with.
They aren't stopping production.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Tesla's were around before the mandates.

I agree the incentives need to stop. 7500 from the feds, (my wallet) and 6000 from some States, plus the hidden subsidies.
But not before carbon credits or reasonable belief the mandates would come.

The income tax credits substantially went to EV makers, not to taxpayer pocketbooks. Figure out what the most buyers would pay without incentives and raise prices to that level with incentives and pocket the difference.

Then by selling carbon credits (significant amounts to legacy automakers) the legacies were literally bankrolling the EV makers.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
These car companies could and can produce any vehicle for a good price - but they are too far flung in GREED. Tell me how it's justifiable that an F150 with some decent creature features is upwards of $100k, or a Mustang pushing in excess of $60k....

Nothing has changed with the actual materials being sourced - it's still metals, cloth/leather, plastics, circuitry, glass, foam, and all the available hardware fasteners that has been used over the last 20-30 years (of more modern vehicles).
But, for example, Tesla will be casting the bulk of a car as a single piece. To put together the hundred plus pieces that replaces takes man/robot days per vehicle. Tesla will be pumping them out in less than 10 minutes. The time between the idea and execution was years. The legacies have barely started if they have at all. The cost to catch up is massively higher when the competition is already reaping the rewards.

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
not totally but ford builds trucks and cars for lots regardless of orders placed and it was doing that with EV's until now. they have switched to only built to order for EV's rather than the normal way of doing it... cause the normal joe doesn't want this shit.

https://www.autonews.com/manufactur...e-ev-investments-citing-slowing-demand-growth
Don't think they are building them for the average Joe. That's why the ICE models still exist.

Neither Ford nor GM are a bellweather of the entire market.

Hyundai is still full steam ahead. Toyota selling off stake in Denso to fund its EV plans. The latter definitely would not happen if they did not believe there was market share to be gained.

Growth might be slower than first thought. But, as I said before, its not likely to be linear.

Sponsored

Weeee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, Mach E GT
I remember threads like this when Telsa started to ship their first four-door. Here we are, 10+ years later, having the same conversation. Yawn

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hate to break it to ya but Manheim and the other guys that compile auction and dealer lot details make it very plain the ev prices are plummetting because lack of demand.
I'm confused. If ADMs are bad, how can price cuts also be bad? :wink:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Teslas look like they were built in 10 minutes too. At least the ones I’ve seen, the paint and panel gaps on those things make Ford look like Mercedes.

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
That doesn't mean that EVs work for most people. When you need the range, you need the range. Just because 95% of trips are 31 miles, doesn't mean that a vehicle that can barely do those 95% of trips works for 100% of people's driving.

The vehicle either does 100% of what people need, or they're not going to buy it. Why would you buy a tool that only does 95% of the job?
totally agree EV’s won’t work for a lot of people , but for a lot of people a huge % of the population they Can and will In time.
9 to 5 types that Must be a massive % of the american population no ? Drive to work park and drive home.

I’m sure you have friends and family that an EV would or could work , we all do I guess ??

I agree with rental Comment. For 15 years I ran a landscaping company and didn’t have a conventional car just an Isuzu truck and I put 500,000 kms on it. Rental is so cheap I just hired a car when I went on long trips or holidays and I enjoyed driving different cars.
ATM we have an A250 , as my wife is In realestate and spends 99% of the time zooming around town drives 10 mins to work a little EV would work well. She does around 20,000 miles a year. Charge at home each night and you’re done.
I do our letterbox dropping on an electric scooter , now upgrading to a nami burn E max , does 60 mph and I can get 100miles range on a $2 charge cost. I’ve been doing scooters for 6 years and that really changed my perspective on EV’s , purely on simplicity and reliability.

there is no right or wrong answer with EV’s they either work for your situation or not I look at as simply as that. They have there pro’s and con’s. As I said power is the no:1 problem that most countries don’t have enough of. Until we can fix that , which is a very long road …. EV’s won’t take over the world But I think increasing growth will keep happening as they get better and living with an EV get easier.
Sponsored