Ev batteries

GT-DM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Redd
Vehicle(s)
GT500 & other heaps
They banned VW from importing veh's (Beetles) w/heaters in dash, that ran on fuel supplied from the petrol tank bk in the '60s, because they deemed it a fire risk.
(As air cooled engs are poor at making heat in freezing temps)

Which it probably was dangerous. Yet, any worse than these Lith-ion battery's?

Btw, any solution/resolution to that SPE pulley noise issue?

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Now, there's a clickbait site...

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; EV battery fires have been cussed and discussed in a few threads on this site so far. Pretty much divided into camps as far as forum members go.
The usual comeback is ICE also catch fire. Which is correct. The issue overall is how very much harder to control an EV fire can be. I use control rather than extinguish. Seems EV battery fires can and have reignited on their own. Has happened in tow yards.

Not clear yet if EV fires will be less common than ICE fires. Some claim they will be.

If the powers that be cannot be put off their measures of forcing us into EV's, I may someday have to own one. Plan in that eventuality is to park and charge a distance from my house.

Allow me to throw in a different wrinkle with EV's. That being, so far, little discussed costs. In particular insurance rates and in general depreciation of the EV. Got a feeling insurance will be more expensive for an EV for reasons which can be told later. Both for the EV itself and for houses if an EV is parked inside.
Depreciation due to batteries are understood to constantly deuterate from day one. Not at a fast rate, but steady month to month.
Another is current EV platforms will very likely be like computers. A computer just a few years old is considered out of date as they will be changed and superseded with new technology. I currently see stories of how new & improved batteries are just around the corner. I can see this and do not dispute the likelihood new battery tech will happen. Thing is for those who buy now or in a year or few will have the current battery tech. Sure that current battery may be good for miles or years to come, but at trade in time what will they fetch?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
In this area when an EV is in an accident, everything stops, the road is closed, and it's a huge FD call-out.

Ties up traffic horribly.

Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Digging up the jillions of tons Cobalt, Nickel, Lithium, Copper, & rare earth magnet materials for batteries & motors, to placate this deal w/the Green New Disaster,
makes perfect sense for are building a solid for the future Generation Non-Binary...

Whether its oil/natural gas, or all these metals & rare earth materials stated above. All are in somewhat of a limited supply.

Its to bad our progressive green leaders latest intrusion on new car builds & drivers, bia the Inflation Reduction Act
-mandate- of cars by around 2026 I think, will not allow running/driving, when the software thinks your impaired by alcohol or other chemicals...

What is it... like line 523 or something in the last muti trillion dollar Government bill...??
All cars must be built to sense when drivers are impaired, & stop operating. By like 2026 or so. I have it saved somewhere. Its all pretty vague really, so I am sure they will interpret it for us all later on.. as to what they really want it to outline into law.

Is spirited driving going to be impaired driving then?

Some YT'rs are screamin its a kill switch for government/Johnny Law use.
Other MSM journos are saying its nothing like that at all, quite the opposite, so just shut up, &don't discuss it outloud to anyone that its a kill switch you cannot control. Only those deemed worthy are allowed to do so. Be even easier on EV battery powered cars, especially if autonomous.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Why is this in the S550 general forums? Can the mods please move this to the kiddie pool area where everybody likes to act like they’re 3.

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
1700866091609.png

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Lighten up! In their current form, EVs are never going to achieve more than 10% market penetration and that is being optimistic. So, here is another point none of you have mentioned: Did you ever try to get a problem with an EV fixed, especially a Tesla that has no dealer network?

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever try to get a problem with an EV fixed,
Hello; It is another part of the fantasy. That part being a quick and easy transition to EV service. ICE repair shops can over time buy up the specialized tools to work on an EV. Such tools will not necessarily be the stumbling block for local repair work. I, for no good reason, think of EV's as essentially mobile computers capable of carrying the operator along with them.
I picture all the dedicated software will be the issue. Already we have to take an ICE vehicle to a dealer shop for some fixes. Had an immobilizer antenna fail in my car ( the part which reads the chip in the key). Diagnosed the problem and had the bad part in my hand. Still had to have the car towed to a dealer to install the new part and then reprogram my keys and computer.

I have been seeing some "right to repair" laws/bills being passed concerning things such as farm tractors. Maybe legislatures will do a correct and sensible thing for a change.

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Hello; EV battery fires have been cussed and discussed in a few threads on this site so far. Pretty much divided into camps as far as forum members go.
The usual comeback is ICE also catch fire. Which is correct. The issue overall is how very much harder to control an EV fire can be. I use control rather than extinguish. Seems EV battery fires can and have reignited on their own. Has happened in tow yards.

Not clear yet if EV fires will be less common than ICE fires. Some claim they will be.

If the powers that be cannot be put off their measures of forcing us into EV's, I may someday have to own one. Plan in that eventuality is to park and charge a distance from my house.

Allow me to throw in a different wrinkle with EV's. That being, so far, little discussed costs. In particular insurance rates and in general depreciation of the EV. Got a feeling insurance will be more expensive for an EV for reasons which can be told later. Both for the EV itself and for houses if an EV is parked inside.
Depreciation due to batteries are understood to constantly deuterate from day one. Not at a fast rate, but steady month to month.
Another is current EV platforms will very likely be like computers. A computer just a few years old is considered out of date as they will be changed and superseded with new technology. I currently see stories of how new & improved batteries are just around the corner. I can see this and do not dispute the likelihood new battery tech will happen. Thing is for those who buy now or in a year or few will have the current battery tech. Sure that current battery may be good for miles or years to come, but at trade in time what will they fetch?
One does have to remember that EV fires are less in number due to the very small amount of vehicles vs. ICE vehicles on the highways. If you drive through a stadium or shopping center lot or anywhere with a large lot, you'll see very few EVs. If you even find 1 in every 20 vehicles I'd be surprised. Once EVs total 50% of all vehicles in the U.S., then we can compare numbers more accurately.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
If you even find 1 in every 20 vehicles I'd be surprised.
Hello; Your comments make sense. I figure some sort of extrapolation is being used in the claims EV's have fewer fires than ICE.
I do not know exactly the portion of EV's overall compared to ICE. What i see more often puts them at less than 10%. Maybe 6% ???

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I suspect i am considered to be an EV hater by some on this site because I question the practicality of owning an EV on both a personal level and on a societal level.
A while back a cordless vacuum cleaner went bad. The battery pack would charge but the electric motor was burned out. Too much dog hair I think. I took it apart to see if it could be fixed and when it became clear I began to sort the plastic parts from the metal. I can recycle metal but not the plastic. I hoard the screws, bolts and such.
Got down to the battery pack which was several individual cells. I can take them to a recycle box at a local battery store. Decided to discharge the cells before dropping them in. Had an old 6-volt lantern bulb. I used each cell to run that light until discharged. Took hours to run down a single cell. In the process had an accident. Shorted out the heavy wire I was using. A single cell made than wire red hot in a fraction of a second. Cauterized a strip on one finger.
I begin to understand what a car sized battery pack can do.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I suspect i am considered to be an EV hater by some on this site because I question the practicality of owning an EV on both a personal level and on a societal level.
A while back a cordless vacuum cleaner went bad. The battery pack would charge but the electric motor was burned out. Too much dog hair I think. I took it apart to see if it could be fixed and when it became clear I began to sort the plastic parts from the metal. I can recycle metal but not the plastic. I hoard the screws, bolts and such.
Got down to the battery pack which was several individual cells. I can take them to a recycle box at a local battery store. Decided to discharge the cells before dropping them in. Had an old 6-volt lantern bulb. I used each cell to run that light until discharged. Took hours to run down a single cell. In the process had an accident. Shorted out the heavy wire I was using. A single cell made than wire red hot in a fraction of a second. Cauterized a strip on one finger.
I begin to understand what a car sized battery pack can do.
I would not go that far, you present honest, logical thinking regarding the EV ferry tail.
Sponsored