EU differential - Clutch or Torsen?

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
This explains why my UK manual Mach1 takes an age to get moving then, i really can't see it getting anywhere near 5s to 60mph. Having done 1400 miles now, driving normally (i.e. not a planned standing start at higher rpm) setting off and mashing the throttle provides very sedate progress until 4.5k lands. Same when pulling into a road in 2nd at say 20mph, very little push is offered which is the only real disappointment i have with the car.

Why the feck have the export models been hampered in this way??
You will need rear gears to wake it up, that's one of the reasons I went 10 speed.
Not only do they get better gears in the US but the handling package Mach 1 also has just over an inch lower diameter wheels that helps with overall rear gearing.
Sponsored

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
Tried the A10 last time, although a great box and quicker it just doesn't have the feel of driving the manual, nor the tone (never been a fan of that stupid slurring noise autos make when they shift vs manual)

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
This explains why my UK manual Mach1 takes an age to get moving then, i really can't see it getting anywhere near 5s to 60mph.
This is interesting. According to the German specs, the Mach 1 should get to 100 kmh in 4,4 s (A10) or 4,8 s (M6). 100 kmh is ~62 mph, so the times for 60 mph (if the UK specs are the same as German ones) should not be worse. Unless there is something else going on (e.g. related to RHD).

mduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT M6 2018 Orange Fury, Mach 1 on order
You need to keep it above 4000rpm for the engine to wake up properly. The gearing is long, even though not as long as in the GT (Tremec helps a bit)

It is "not" a car quick of the line, its a big na engine and high reving. But the beans are there you just need to keep it matched for maximum power/torque/gear and it pulls hard!

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You can get the Torsen-diff itself for around 900EUR from Germany the 3:73 gearing is another 400 or so EUR
Can you share links for that ? Wavetrac is 1100 EUR so it's not a big difference and Wavetrac is supposed to be better. Ether way please share links.

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
You need to keep it above 4000rpm for the engine to wake up properly. The gearing is long, even though not as long as in the GT (Tremec helps a bit)

It is "not" a car quick of the line, its a big na engine and high reving. But the beans are there you just need to keep it matched for maximum power/torque/gear and it pulls hard!
Yes, i know this and it does come alive above 4k rpm. My point is that the majority of starts in the real world aren't like this and in normal operation it's very slow to respond. Sadly not exactly practical to do 4k starts every time you stop at a junction, roundabout etc!

I just feel it's a tad disappointing and pedestrian off the line or at low speed when burying the throttle, with very little 'shove' in the back compared to the vast majority of vehicles i've ever driven in 25yrs of driving! Just a quirk of the vehicle and gearing, i guess i need to live with.

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
This is interesting. According to the German specs, the Mach 1 should get to 100 kmh in 4,4 s (A10) or 4,8 s (M6). 100 kmh is ~62 mph, so the times for 60 mph (if the UK specs are the same as German ones) should not be worse. Unless there is something else going on (e.g. related to RHD).
I'm sure this is possible with multiple attempts and clutch abuse, but doesn't reflect how it's driven in the real world i.e. starting from low rpm and hitting the throttle vs high rpm and clutch dump start.

mduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT M6 2018 Orange Fury, Mach 1 on order
When I got my GT I had the exact same feeling (waiting for my Mach 1 to arrive....)
The Mustang is so easy to drive, you can lend it to your grandmother anyday - she will not bother to exceed 4000rpm anyways.

Putting it into sport + or track mode changes things quite a bit, and it does get more responsive.
As I am not into 0-xxx times it does not bother me any longer, I now know when and where to use the best of its setup to get the most out of the engine.

Doing a 0-100km/h and when you change into 2nd gear and you see the speedometer at about 90km/h and getting wheelspin then you feel the brute force of it. But first gear is not often used more than in town so 2nd 3rd are the most fun gears and 4th if you are stretching the speed limits just a tad....

I can agree that the gearing is too long , then again without this gearing I would say that we would not have received the Mustang V8 to Europe at all due to emissions. The A10 has never been an option for me - I have an automatic in my daily driver car and want to be rowing gears as it should be done.

I would have also wanted the 3:73 + the Torsen as in the US

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can you share links for that ? Wavetrac is 1100 EUR so it's not a big difference and Wavetrac is supposed to be better. Ether way please share links.
The diff seems to have increased in price since 2-3 months ago

https://www.velocity-group.de/en/dr...-differential-ford-racing-torsen-differential

Edit: 949 EUR
https://www.american-horsepower.de/...rential-34-spline-8.8-inch-15-21-gt-eb-v6-674

https://www.velocity-group.de/en/dr...ferential-ring-and-pinion-differential-3-73-1

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Its not a cheap mod ... :frown:

I paid £1292 including shipping (€1500) for the Torsen, 4.09 gears and the install kit (everything is Ford Performance) from another member who sold his car - but everything is unused, new and boxed.

F8-A99-A0-B-0340-4824-A3-FD-2-CFBF3550-FF5.jpg

You also have to factor in the cost of installation and for the later model years, the additional cost of a tune.

Should be a big step up from a euro 3.55 car though - I cant find it now but I am sure I read on here that someone had done the calcs and it was a equivalent bump to adding 40lbft to the flywheel (and that might have even been for the US guys jumping from a 3.73).

WD :like:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Its not a cheap mod ... :frown:

I paid £1292 including shipping (€1500) for the Torsen, 4.09 gears and the install kit (everything is Ford Performance) from another member who sold his car - but everything is unused, new and boxed.

F8-A99-A0-B-0340-4824-A3-FD-2-CFBF3550-FF5.jpg

You also have to factor in the cost of installation and for the later model years, the additional cost of a tune.

Should be a big step up from a euro 3.55 car though - I cant find it now but I am sure I read on here that someone had done the calcs and it was a equivalent bump to adding 40lbft to the flywheel (and that might have even been for the US guys jumping from a 3.73).

Is it not possible to change the gearing in forscan at least to 3:73? Maybe not on the 2021 models though

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think so - from what I read I think things got difficult with the arrival of the rev matching feature :frown:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase