Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2009 BMW X6 50i, 2012 BMW K1300R
The FR350S is also being stopped from significantly faster speeds than a stock 350R. Speed is the #1 variable affecting brake pad/rotor heat. Don't see how a race suspension or aero on a race car can be more forgiving to brake rotors. Cooler brakes will result in more consistent, fade-free braking and will dramatically reduce wear on pads and rotors, another thing needed for racing in endurance series. Also it's not just the weight of the car, but the rotating unsprung mass (one reason why GT350R outbrakes the GT350). A 20% reduction in rotating mass is significant (even if that mass consists of the brake rotor). People also forget that a cooler running rotor means less ambient heat transferring to tires. With the GT350R admittedly, they cleverly coated the inner wheels with the trick ceramic coating, which may offset the heat transfer effect, but goes to show you the coating is there for a reason.

Essex is extremely approachable, can easily be called for their own testing results/experiences. Everything I found them to say about the M3 stock brakes vs their kit ended up being true (about 1-2 second lap time reduction) on a 2 - ish mile track and definitely more consistent results. And this was borne out in their temperature claims (which according to my measurements about 40% reduction in brake rotor surface temp). Obviously the 350R platform is very different (though brake rotors seem to have been lifted from the M3 school of design which has many imitators), but the guys at Essex race cars all the time (and build braking systems for all levels of motorsport), so their info is probably going to have more gravitas than average track amateur who is at best driving 8/10ths of the car.

I'm fine keeping the stock rotors/calipers on the 350 platform until the rotors wear out. Will be interesting to see how quickly they do so. The fact that the stock piston dust seals fry after track use basically tells the brakes are running too hot. One the rotors wear out, may make the swap. In my M3, I got well over 2x the life of the stock rotors with Essex rotors..would not be surprised if approached 3x and my track skills have only improved over that timeframe. Having said that, the 350 stock brake rotors are quite inexpensive.

The stock GT350R brakes are not well suited to multiple quick brake pad changes due to the caliper bolt design, high torque requirements, and having to hold the heavy caliper. Anyone who has had to do emergency pad changes on a track will be swearing. Even with braking performance equivalence, this is reason enough for me to make the switch eventually (and I know there are solutions for the problems I mentioned, but ideally a front mounted bolt and removable bridge makes life much easier).
I only meant to stress out that we have to compare apple to apples. GT350 to GT350 w AP brakes. Same car, same weight, same aero, same suspension, same rims, same everything except the brakes.

Comparing the GT350 to FR350S or GT4 or even the GT350R for that matter is rather pointless as it's apples vs oranges.

As far as your question regarding the other variables, I can say that despite the fact that I'm no engineer, I can understand some basic info about suspension, aero, brakes and their corelation. For example aero can have siginificant effect on the braking potential of the car and that is why on hypercars you have aero braking with the back wing. Aero affects wind resistance and thus affects the top speed of the car. Affecting the top speed, as you said, affects the braking potential of the car.

Weight of the car is also another variable that needs no explaining as the mass of the car is indirect proportional to the braking potential, all other things being equal.

Suspension of the car affects the bound and rebound, toe and camber angle also affect the contact patch and thus the braking potential of the car. Heck even anti-roll bars can affect braking especially entry to mid corner. :thumbsup:

So in conclusion: I'd be really interested to see a scientific comparison between the same GT350 before and after AP brakes.
Sponsored

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
I only meant to stress out that we have to compare apple to apples. GT350 to GT350 w AP brakes. Same car, same weight, same aero, same suspension, same rims, same everything except the brakes.

Comparing the GT350 to FR350S or GT4 or even the GT350R for that matter is rather pointless as it's apples vs oranges.

As far as your question regarding the other variables, I can say that despite the fact that I'm no engineer, I can understand some basic info about suspension, aero, brakes and their corelation. For example aero can have siginificant effect on the braking potential of the car and that is why on hypercars you have aero braking with the back wing. Aero affects wind resistance and thus affects the top speed of the car. Affecting the top speed, as you said, affects the braking potential of the car.

Weight of the car is also another variable that needs no explaining as the mass of the car is indirect proportional to the braking potential, all other things being equal.

Suspension of the car affects the bound and rebound, toe and camber angle also affect the contact patch and thus the braking potential of the car. Heck even anti-roll bars can affect braking especially entry to mid corner. :thumbsup:

So in conclusion: I'd be really interested to see a scientific comparison between the same GT350 before and after AP brakes.
I understand what you're saying, but! The stock brakes are just production car brakes. For stock production brakes they are excellent and are very good but for a serious track brake they are not.
The stock brakes are:

- The calipers are heavy.

- R calipers are Painted and when used heavily turn ugly brown or orange. I have no idea why ford flaunts the R as the track monster and put paint on the R calipers and anodized the non R calipers. Totally ass backwards.

- Have seals that fail or melt.

- Monoblock (has pluses and negatives).

- Lack anti knock back springs which when braking in a S turn can cause soft or dead pedal.

- Must be removed to swap pads and that stresses the aluminum knuckles threads. Sure we have the option of caliper studs but we're comparing stock brakes.

- The rotors are heavy.

- Prone to fractures due to being cross drilled.

- Technically are a 1 piece throw away.

- Wear out fast.

- This is just a cosmetic complaint, but I personally can not stand the stock rotors because they are not coated. I hate the fact that with one wash of my car they sling rust inside the barrel of my wheels. My solution to this problem is to paint the rotors with CRC 05080 de-squeak. I wish the stock rotors were coated.

Anthony is giving you a apples to apples comparison of the AP brakes vs stock brakes on the same car same driver same track.

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2009 BMW X6 50i, 2012 BMW K1300R
I understand what you're saying, but! The stock brakes are just production car brakes. For stock production brakes they are excellent and are very good but for a serious track brake they are not.
The stock brakes are:

- R calipers are Painted and when used heavily turn ugly brown or orange. I have no idea why ford flaunts the R as the track monster and put paint on the R calipers and anodized the non R calipers. Totally ass backwards.

- Lack anti knock back springs which when braking in a S turn can cause soft or dead pedal.

- Must be removed to swap pads and that stresses the aluminum knuckles threads. Sure we have the option of caliper studs but we're comparing stock brakes.

- The rotors are heavy.

- Wear out fast.

- This is just a cosmetic complaint, but I personally can not stand the stock rotors because they are not coated. I hate the fact that with one wash of my car they sling rust inside the barrel of my wheels. My solution to this problem is to paint the rotors with CRC 05080 de-squeak. I wish the stock rotors were coated.

Anthony is giving you a apples to apples comparison of the AP brakes vs stock brakes on the same car same driver same track.
All points well made and most probable valid. You are most certainly a better brake/car expert than I am (I'm no expert at all in fact).

But to your last paragraph, I'd like to ask you or Anthony for that matter 2 questions:

1. What car is that? Is it a GT350 in his apples to apples comparison?

2. Where is the science and proof of the back to back comparison. Where are the lap times, braking distances, braking time and temperature readings on hot and cooldowns!? Surely a test like this must be logged with data loggers and even caught on tape! Heck for wheels we ask for weights and we see lots of pictures with rims standing on scales showing actual real weights. But brakes are much more complex and have lots more moving and stationary parts that work together to produce one final result that is arguable better than stock. I'd like to see such a thorough test with the AP brakes.

And on the record: I'm not a skeptic, nor challange the claims. I just need hardcore indisputable proof before I fork out 5k in an investment.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The stock brakes are:

- The rotors are heavy.

- Wear out fast.

Has someone brakes failed?

ChevyNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Why aren't we emphasizing that the best feature of the AP racing setup is the removable bridge for pad replacement? This will make life so much better for the track day crowd. The purchase price is almost justifiable with just that one feature.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
GT350Brakes.com

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
Why are we emphasizing that the best feature of the AP racing setup is the removable bridge for pad replacement? This will make life so much better for the track day crowd. The purchase price is almost justifiable with just that one feature.
This is why this kit is directed to the track junkie or the guy who is turning his GT350 into a race car. Until you've done it you'll understand why these make life easy!

OP
OP
GT350Brakes.com

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
Again, if you are not tracking your car frequently these are not for you. If you heavily tracked your car you would see the value in these.

1. Yes a GT350

2. I've said many times how later I could brake with this setup which allowed me to go faster down the straights. Here's Buttonwillow same car, different brakes.
Just one corner to show the difference.

The 116mph straight away is with the oem brakes, the 121 is with the AP kit.

Data can be so botched which is why I'm hesitant to make this the end all.

No matter what you do the temps will always be different, the traffic will always different, the driver will always be different.

There were also some corners where I started testing the limits of the brakes where they saved me, I knew I would have been in the sand pit with the oem setup.

I'd gladly let anyone do a hot lap with me in the car at Buttonwillow, Thunderhill or Laguna to try it out if you are local.

I have to say it again, if you are not a heavy track day person pads and fluid will work fine for you!

All points well made and most probable valid. You are most certainly a better brake/car expert than I am (I'm no expert at all in fact).

But to your last paragraph, I'd like to ask you or Anthony for that matter 2 questions:

1. What car is that? Is it a GT350 in his apples to apples comparison?

2. Where is the science and proof of the back to back comparison. Where are the lap times, braking distances, braking time and temperature readings on hot and cooldowns!? Surely a test like this must be logged with data loggers and even caught on tape! Heck for wheels we ask for weights and we see lots of pictures with rims standing on scales showing actual real weights. But brakes are much more complex and have lots more moving and stationary parts that work together to produce one final result that is arguable better than stock. I'd like to see such a thorough test with the AP brakes.

And on the record: I'm not a skeptic, nor challange the claims. I just need hardcore indisputable proof before I fork out 5k in an investment.
IMG_9116.jpg
IMG_9117.jpg

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I didn't cool off my stock rotors enough before pitting during my last track day, and now have deposits that make the car shudder during the daily drive. Time for new rotors, so I'm thinking of either the AP Racing mentioned here, or staying stock and getting the caliper studs to help make pad changes easier. I don't track much, but I really appreciate the engineering that AP Racing/Essex puts into these kits.

I'll likely stay stock for at least one more round, since I've had good luck with that setup (except for my lack of attention to cooling last time) and tend to be pretty soft on the brakes anyway, but thanks for the info and if I ever need to upgrade it is good to know there is a quality setup available.

-T

OP
OP
GT350Brakes.com

GT350Brakes.com

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
GT350 TP
I didn't cool off my stock rotors enough before pitting during my last track day, and now have deposits that make the car shudder during the daily drive. Time for new rotors, so I'm thinking of either the AP Racing mentioned here, or staying stock and getting the caliper studs to help make pad changes easier. I don't track much, but I really appreciate the engineering that AP Racing/Essex puts into these kits.

I'll likely stay stock for at least one more round, since I've had good luck with that setup (except for my lack of attention to cooling last time) and tend to be pretty soft on the brakes anyway, but thanks for the info and if I ever need to upgrade it is good to know there is a quality setup available.

-T
Can't go wrong either way! It just depends how much you track. Pads are cheaper and quicker to swap. I have it down to about a minute a side, no pins as well which help.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hey Anthony! I met you at Thunderhill last month (guy that had the German Shepherd). Bro - you were flying out there. You have any video? That’s definitely help others see how crazy these brakes are. They’re on my list...
Some day...some day.

-Kevin
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.