Sponsored

Error Code "P163F" Fix

RoushStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I have seen these popping up more and more and today it happened to me. I worked with a buddy of mine from Ford and we found the fix and its easy with Forscan!

zus5h8x.png

Open Forscan and connect to this Module
rXnGRdM.png

Select "Update by solenoid strategy number" and press OK
C6t93Jr.png

Enter Solenoid strategy number and press OK, It will ask you to download the info and press YES to complete the process. (Where to find the Solenoid strategy number below)
Ep4ppaH.png

To find the Solenoid Strategy Number,
There is a white label with numbers on it attached the the driver side of the transmission. The number you need is show below.
IxiUP6R.jpg

I have done this on a couple cars now and everything works perfect. Obviously this is "at your own risk kinda thing" along with all other Forscan tweaking.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is there an explanation as to what causes the failure code initially?

Can transmission software updates be downloaded and installed via Forscan? I’m referring to actual software update to the trans PCM that one would normally have to go to a Ford Service Center for a “Repair” order to receive the update.

Can you explain more about your posting?

OP
OP
RoushStang

RoushStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Is there an explanation as to what causes the failure code initially?

Can transmission software updates be downloaded and installed via Forscan? I’m referring to actual software update to the trans PCM that one would normally have to go to a Ford Service Center for a “Repair” order to receive the update.

Can you explain more about your posting?
From Ford Tech - Solenoid id was not programmed back into the car when flashed back

This info was missed by the tuner in some way shape or form. (Mine was from when SCT tried to do a recovery on my X4)

I tried going back to stock and trying 3 other tunes all with the same error code.

I know when i typed in my Id it asked to download and install it. Everything worked great after that. Flashed back to stock and other tunes and no issues.

Easiest way to tell, when you are at the step to enter the ID#, if the current numbers are all 0's. Its missing and needs to be entered. You can do it at anytime with any tune.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
From Ford Tech - Solenoid id was not programmed back into the car when flashed back

This info was missed by the tuner in some way shape or form. (Mine was from when SCT tried to do a recovery on my X4)

I tried going back to stock and trying 3 other tunes all with the same error code.

I know when i typed in my Id it asked to download and install it. Everything worked great after that. Flashed back to stock and other tunes and no issues.

Easiest way to tell, when you are at the step to enter the ID#, if the current numbers are all 0's. Its missing and needs to be entered. You can do it at anytime with any tune.
Interesting.

So say your Trans PCM software was the original As Built version and was never updated at all by Ford (or a tune). If someone were to do the same steps using Forscan as you have outlined, will the downloaded software strategy be the most current version that Ford would have IF they had to update or reflash a Trans PCM?

Or would the version that Forscan accesses for the download be the older “original” Trans software logic as discussed above (ie: original strategy and version)?

OP
OP
RoushStang

RoushStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Interesting.

So say your Trans PCM software was the original As Built version and was never updated at all by Ford (or a tune). If someone were to do the same steps using Forscan as you have outlined, will the downloaded software strategy be the most current version that Ford would have IF they had to update or reflash a Trans PCM?

Or would the version that Forscan accesses for the download be the older “original” Trans software logic as discussed above (ie: original strategy and version)?
This I am not sure of, as SCT has lost my original I have nothing to compare to. When it asks you to download you could compare versions to check. You can always cancel and not download, but always backup the modules in forscan in case you need to revert.

This was more for the people going through tuning stuff and having this code pop up because the ID's were never entered from the tuner.

Sponsored

FarmStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
I have seen these popping up more and more and today it happened to me. I worked with a buddy of mine from Ford and we found the fix and its easy with Forscan!

zus5h8x.png

Open Forscan and connect to this Module
rXnGRdM.png

Select "Update by solenoid strategy number" and press OK
C6t93Jr.png

Enter Solenoid strategy number and press OK, It will ask you to download the info and press YES to complete the process. (Where to find the Solenoid strategy number below)
Ep4ppaH.png

To find the Solenoid Strategy Number,
There is a white label with numbers on it attached the the driver side of the transmission. The number you need is show below.
IxiUP6R.jpg

I have done this on a couple cars now and everything works perfect. Obviously this is "at your own risk kinda thing" along with all other Forscan tweaking.

Revtastic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Ok I needmto know how use forscan and what I need to know to fix my mustang after using a Vmp tuner ..I talked to a tech and was told I need to flash my pcm back to stock...not a 100% guarantee it will work

FarmStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Ok I needmto know how use forscan and what I need to know to fix my mustang after using a Vmp tuner ..I talked to a tech and was told I need to flash my pcm back to stock...not a 100% guarantee it will work
Post # 1 solved my issue, just had to enter the solenoid strategy and solenoid body Id

^^^^^
Jasper engines and transmissions-Ford fwd strategy programming video may help

mtr5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT Shadow Black 401a A10 3.15 gear
Bringing up a a old thread here.
had this same thing happen to me code P163 .when flashing my E85tune w/ HPtuners on my2020 mustang Gt 10r80. This thread saved me some huge headache and money. thanks RoushStang…. Fixed with forscan. Strange thing is this same tune that worked perfect last summer, all I did was have a 93 octane tuned flashed over the winter for storage. Here is a picture

1EC3C26D-5B4B-4B80-A1C6-DAF7B43202B8.jpeg

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Bump. Ok what happens if you dont have the transmission solenoid characterization option?? I have a 22 GT and a fully licensed version of forscan and I dont have that option anywhere. Latest version of forscan too.

IMG_7551.jpeg
Sponsored