Sponsored

Engine Rattle (Video Attached) - Need Advice

radelow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My 2017 GT350 makes a rattling noise at idle. At the point this video was taken the motor was warmed up. I had just come home from work. The car is new to me so I don't know what's normal and what isn't. I do know forged motors can make all kinds of unique noises. The noise does NOT go away if I engage the clutch or put it in gear. It is RPM related. FYI car has ~8000 miles on it so low mileage.

Thanks for any advice. I have a bumper to bumper warranty on it so not worried about it but do want to get it addressed if I need to.

Thanks!!!

Mark Radelow
Sponsored

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE
Not normal. Was the oil level full? I would start by looking at the front accessory items to see if something is loose or worn. Any idea if the car spent significant time on track?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Look for something obvious as already suggested (oil level, loose parts, etc). But don’t let this linger.

OP
OP

radelow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Oil was just changed. Per the previous owner never tracked... but they did have a FP350S (and TWO GT's including a 2022 GT LM!!!). Car was well maintained by the owner's own mechanics.

I will drop it off at the dealer and let them deal with it. That's why I have the extended Ford bumper to bumper warranty!

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Oil was just changed. Per the previous owner never tracked... but they did have a FP350S (and TWO GT's including a 2022 GT LM!!!). Car was well maintained by the owner's own mechanics.

I will drop it off at the dealer and let them deal with it. That's why I have the extended Ford bumper to bumper warranty!
If you haven't already done so, it may be worth checking the oil before dropping it off at the dealer. Even though it was recently changed, there were several cases in the past where techs didn't put the right amount of oil in the car. They thought it took the same amount as the GT instead of 10 Qts.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That is not normal, please keep the updates coming.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
All of the above...but that noise isn't good. Does it get louder under a bit of load? Could be anything from a rod knock to a hydraulic cap failure

OP
OP

radelow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So the dealer had my car for two weeks before I heard anything. I think it sat there for a week and a half before they ever looked at it. Low and behold, but not really surprising, they just gave me the bullshit "forged motor, pistons make noise blah blah blah" response. When I asked them how this applies because motor does not make the noise when cold but only when warmed up they just glazed over with no response. I am going to head down there and talk with the Service Manager and see what his answer is. The fact is I have a long time left on my warranty so I am not really worried but I would like it addressed if something truly is wrong.

I will keep everyone posted.

OP
OP

radelow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They basically told me there is nothing they can do and that I should just "monitor". On the plus side they did do the rear camera recall and didn't charge me anything for the diagnosis. I will just monitor.

Talliuz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Here is a video of a similar noise on mine for reference. Everyone here told me it sounds fine, but to me it sounds like what you have, just not as loud.

I do have the annoying 2k RPM rattle some other owners experience, are you having this in your car too?
Sponsored