Engine oil

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not looking for an oil debate, just some feed back. I normally run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles.
I was hoping to run Mobil 1 15/50 but it does not meet the Ford spec, maybe just because of
viscosity? I would assume the Motorcraft 5/50 is a good oil. Anyone use anything else that
is Ford approved? And it appears that Rock auto has the best price for motorcraft oil?
Thanks
Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I'll be using Amsoil 5w50 for the next oil change.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Not looking for an oil debate, just some feed back. I normally run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles.
I was hoping to run Mobil 1 15/50 but it does not meet the Ford spec, maybe just because of
viscosity? I would assume the Motorcraft 5/50 is a good oil. Anyone use anything else that
is Ford approved? And it appears that Rock auto has the best price for motorcraft oil?
Thanks
I used Amsoil and now they have the new cartridge style filter too. I became a dealer since I had a few friends who used Amsoil too. I sent my oil away to be analyzed every year from my 07 GT500 and it was WAY better that Motorcraft. Sheering was the biggest complaint for the Motorcraft. Shoot me a pm if you want to buy some, You'll get a great deal from me.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I wouldn't use anything that didn't meet Ford spec for that engine. There is a reason they specified the ingredients for their motor oil. If you are out of warranty, knock yourself out. All synthetic oils cost about the same anyway.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
I wouldn't use anything that didn't meet Ford spec for that engine. There is a reason they specified the ingredients for their motor oil. If you are out of warranty, knock yourself out. All synthetic oils cost about the same anyway.
Amsoil finally decided enough Ford vehicles were on the streets and track to formulate a Signature Series lubricant that meets API SN and Ford WSS-M2C931-C requirements. This is a big deal for those who are worried about not having Ford's recommended SAE lubricant in their Mustang.

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50

This is the only known lubricant to carry Ford's recommendation code other than Motorcraft 5W-50.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-50 (AMR): API SN, SM...; Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Good to know. Last time I looked at all the major brands, none of them met the specs.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Good to know. Last time I looked at all the major brands, none of them met the specs.
They still don't. Motorcraft, Lucas and Castrol Supercar meet the Ford spec. Everything else doesn't.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thanks
I used Mobil 1 in my previous Mustangs too. However now I am sticking with Motorcraft since, as you say, Mobil 1 does not meet the specifications set out by Ford.

And yes, Rockauto seems to have the best prices. This is where I purchased my oil and filter.

FWIW they use Motorcraft in the Track Attack cars.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Any oil is really fine, but I would recommend Motorcraft during the warranty period. Changing it regularly is the most important thing in my opinion more so than a fancy brand.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
My dealership is known as the best/largest servicing for GT350 around(no kidding). When I asked if I can use Amsoil 5W50 instead of MC for my first oil change they approved it. So, NP with Amsoil in regards to Ford's specs.

Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm not sure if you were saying Amsoil does not meet the specs but this article on the Amsoil website says they do:
https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/auto-and-light-truck/articles/premium-protection-ford-mustang/
It's impossible to know whether it meets the spec or not. The words "recommended for" are used in the article to convey the idea that it meets the spec without actually saying that it does. It's a clever marketing trick that a number of secondary market oil companies have used for years. By using those words, they sidestep responsibility for performance in that application - they never said it met the spec, they just suggested you could use their product where that spec is called for. They could "recommend" Mazola if they wanted to. The language that you need to see is "meets" the spec and if you look at the website and the bottle it doesn't say "meets" on either. If you want to see how certifications can be properly spelled out, look at the back of a Mobil 1 bottle - they do a perfect job of saying what specs the product meets and which specs it's "recommended for".

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that SS isn't a good product - it is. What's surprising is that the company made a decision regarding certifications for the whole Signature Series product line - there are none, as far as I can tell. When you back-check their "recommended for" language regarding API SN or Dexos or any of the other specs where an independent body maintains an actual list of approved products, SS doesn't show up on any of those lists. Their "OEM" product line is listed, but SS isn't. It's just weird.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
From Amsoil

. You have to remember there are marketing campaigns that often influence the language that is used on the bottles. In the case of the Signature Series lines of oils, these oils not only meet, but the exceed the API or OEM specifications we list for each particular product. Not only that, but our warranty backs the use of a product for an application if we make the claim that it is recommended for it. Use the Signature Series motor oils fully knowing they meet, satisfy and are recommended for the API or OEM spec we list for it.