Sponsored

Engine knock 2019 GT with Ford tune, no codes.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
if it isn't throwing codes its probably not knock.
i run 93 octane stock just to be safe because the manual says if you hear knock run a higher octane.
Sponsored

stang1087

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
@StangTime I had a friend rev up the motor to check the exhaust VVT. It turns out I have the same noise as the video you posted.

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
Have you tried adding 2 gallons of e85 to see if the knock goes away. if it does its real if not its mechanical. Lots of low speed timing gives LSPI. it plagued the mzr motor back in 2006-13. adding a bit of corn can help with diag.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I feel like this rabbit hole only leads to one conclusion, selling the car :cwl:

Do you ever have performance loss or inconsistent performance? As above, I suppose you should see if adding boostane or some other octane booster makes it go away.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
@StangTime I had a friend rev up the motor to check the exhaust VVT. It turns out I have the same noise as the video you posted.
Were you testing this on a cold or hot engine?

Have you tried adding 2 gallons of e85 to see if the knock goes away. if it does its real if not its mechanical. Lots of low speed timing gives LSPI. it plagued the mzr motor back in 2006-13. adding a bit of corn can help with diag.
E85 is not available in my country. Otherwise I would thry that.
1667221507626.png

I feel like this rabbit hole only leads to one conclusion, selling the car :cwl:

Do you ever have performance loss or inconsistent performance? As above, I suppose you should see if adding boostane or some other octane booster makes it go away.
Haha, I plan on keeping it. I've got too much time and money invested in the car to let it go over this. It's just annoying hearing it. No performance loss that my butt dyno can notice.
In the spring I'll try playing with the octane level and see what happens. The car is going to be parked for the winter as of today. I'll be doing an oil change this week and sending off a sample to Blackstone. I will also look for loose parts on the exhaust, check the plugs/gaps , and borescope the cylinders.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
@StangTime it was a hot engine
Hmm. Interesting. I we we have bad solenoids? The mechanic in that video I linked diagnosing the noise, has a second video that shows how he replaces the exhaust solenoid and resolves the noise:

stang1087

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
@StangTime That doesn't look to bad but I don't want to dig into my engine if I don't have to. I think they are bad or going bad. There's a SSM and TSB that covers our cars but I don't think they'll apply until those codes are present. In any case, I'm not too worried about it for now.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...m-50067-vct’s-again-various-dtc-codes.169419/
I shared the video for educational purposes. I don't want to tear into it either as long as I have a warranty. Not difficult to repair though. Ford won't replace until they throw a code.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I had some time yesterday to get the car out of the garage for clean up and winter prep. I had it running for about 5 minutes to mix the fuel stabilizer through the fuel system.
Took this video. Engine is at temperature. Ever so slightly applying the throttle (you can see RPM gauge later on in the vid, sorry for the camera movement) it's making a racket as soon as the RPM's rise. This is a new noise I didn't hear before in addition to the decel rattle that it was making. It's a rapid ratcheting noise which stops after a second followed by some increasing noise as throttle is gradually applied.

Sponsored
OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Received my Blackstone oil analysis last night. This is my 3rd oil change since new. I run 1 bottle of CeraTec with each oil change. The parameters look very healthy despite the noises it makes. Nothing indicating any abnormal wear.
19 MUSTANG-221123.png

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Did you ever get a solution to your engine knock? I have EXACTLY the same issue within the same rev range.

I just put up a new post today about it. The head tech guy at my local Ford centre said he has only heard this with manuals and to try adding in carbon cleaner to the fuel tank. If that doesn't help there's nothing else that can be done. A new engine remap could be done but Ford won't create one as they don't have enough issues with vehicles to justify the expense of doing so.

I've been contemplating selling mine as it bothers me so much.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Did you ever get a solution to your engine knock? I have EXACTLY the same issue within the same rev range.

I just put up a new post today about it. The head tech guy at my local Ford centre said he has only heard this with manuals and to try adding in carbon cleaner to the fuel tank. If that doesn't help there's nothing else that can be done. A new engine remap could be done but Ford won't create one as they don't have enough issues with vehicles to justify the expense of doing so.

I've been contemplating selling mine as it bothers me so much.
I removed the Ford Performance tune and went back to stock. No more knock.

Is your car stock or do you have the Ford Perf. tune on it? What octane is your fuel?
Scratch that. I just saw your other post.
Sponsored