Engine decel rattle

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,
Does anyone have a chain/vct rattle on engine decel when cold on your 18? It seems to be under 3K rpm and is pretty pronounced. I recall seeing a TSB for the F150 coyote for a very similar issue. Here is a video link to the noise. Fast forward to 1:25 through 1:37 or so. This is the same video I did to record the tick. I searched and didn't find a specific mention of this particular noise. Could have missed it though.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Yup, my 2018 Mustang GT has that rattle when cold. Cant ignore it, windows up or down I can hear it. However, it goes away withing a couple of minutes of driving. I have close to 24,xxx miles on the car and so far no issues other than hearing this rattle.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, my 2018 Mustang GT has that rattle when cold. Cant ignore it, windows up or down I can hear it. However, it goes away withing a couple of minutes of driving. I have close to 24,xxx miles on the car and so far no issues other than hearing this rattle.
Same here, goes away after warm up. I think I'll just put it on the "just ignore that noise" list. Sheesh, cold starts are getting brutal.:crackup:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
Hey guys,
Does anyone have a chain/vct rattle on engine decel when cold on your 18? It seems to be under 3K rpm and is pretty pronounced. I recall seeing a TSB for the F150 coyote for a very similar issue. Here is a video link to the noise. Fast forward to 1:25 through 1:37 or so. This is the same video I did to record the tick. I searched and didn't find a specific mention of this particular noise. Could have missed it though.
How do both of your cars sound when up to temperature?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
  1. Bascially, what you hear in my video is what it sounds like when warm. Except for the decel chain/vct rattle. It goes TICK, TICK, tick, tick... :)

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
  1. Bascially, what you hear in my video is what it sounds like when warm. Except for the decel chain/vct rattle. It goes TICK, TICK, tick, tick... :)
So, the BBQ tick doesn't change at all? How many miles on the car? When did this start? Did it all start suddenly, or was it gradual?

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
So, the BBQ tick doesn't change at all? How many miles on the car? When did this start? Did it all start suddenly, or was it gradual?
It started when it had around 900 or so miles. It has 5000 now. No, cold or hot, doesn't matter. Seems to do it more when hot than cold and occasionally it doesn't do it at all. But thats the exception. As far as how it started, I just noticed it one morning and it hasn't stopped since.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
It started when it had around 900 or so miles. It has 5000 now. No, cold or hot, doesn't matter. Seems to do it more when hot than cold and occasionally it doesn't do it at all. But thats the exception. As far as how it started, I just noticed it one morning and it hasn't stopped since.
Have you experimented with oil? Is it worse with the AC on?

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Made the same noise on the factory oil, Mobil1 5w20 and Driven DI30. Have not noticed any variables that seem to impact the noise.

Sponsored

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
Made the same noise on the factory oil, Mobil1 5w20 and Driven DI30. Have not noticed any variables that seem to impact the noise.
That's maddening.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
That's maddening.
What is maddening to me is just not knowing what the actual causation is. I dont particularly like my tick, slap and rattle noises but as long as it stays in one piece, I will deal with it. Its just crazy to me that the exact causes of these noises (except maybe the slap) haven't been determined.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
What is maddening to me is just not knowing what the actual causation is. I dont particularly like my tick, slap and rattle noises but as long as it stays in one piece, I will deal with it. Its just crazy to me that the exact causes of these noises (except maybe the slap) haven't been determined.
I hear you, brotha. I keep holding on to hope that someday there will be a concrete cause.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong but the interview that Ken from PBD did with MMR still didn't seem to answer the tick question...just the slap. Its unfortunate that we have to deal with these types of noises from 40K cars...but, it is what it is i guess.

Last edited:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have a gen 2 Coyote but have always used Lucas oil stabilizer when I change oil. I've read Ceratec may help the tick.
Sponsored