Sponsored

Engine decel rattle

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have had typewriter tick, 2K rattle and lift of rattle for almost a year. The lift of rattle and the 2K rattle occurs no matter if the car is cold or warm and the lift of rattle has not "replaced" the 2K rattle so to speak. During the same drive both occurs.

My first motor had it as well.

Lift off rattle is the 2k rattle...
It will start off as that and progress on certain days to be more than just lift off.
You’ll see in a few more months/miles
Sponsored

Eric

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Mine is doing the same thing and I can't decide whether I should have the dealer look at it. The lift-off rattle is much more pronounced when the engine is cold and goes away when warmed up after a few miles. Very annoying...

5.0Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80
I’m praying that the deceleration rattle is found to be fixable eventually. Purchased brand new 2018 GT and did ford buyback/ replacement For 2019 GT and now this one has the same deceleration rattle. This can not be a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Especially when it started after a few thousand miles on my 2018 and my 2019 was delivered with the rattle. ‍♂

5.0Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80
Ford says deceleration rattle is normal I call bs. It’s definitely timing chain, tensioner, phaser area related. And after dropping half the price of the vehicle down is heartbreaking. Some have it and some don’t.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Ford says deceleration rattle is normal I call bs. It’s definitely timing chain, tensioner, phaser area related...... Some have it and some don’t.
They all have it...if you listen
It is normal
Best advice is get used to it because to get an non “BS” honest 460hp out of 302 cid naturally aspirated is not a walk in the park. Lots of moving parts and computer programming going on.
Or you can always just sell your car.

Sponsored

5.0Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80
They all have it...if you listen
It is normal
Best advice is get used to it because to get an non “BS” honest 460hp out of 302 cid naturally aspirated is not a walk in the park. Lots of moving parts and computer programming going on.
Or you can always just sell your car.
Haven’t seen any new updates on this issue. But I didn’t post to have someone tell me or you can sell your car. This is my ninth mustang and am well aware on how much goes into the engine. But find it hard to believe that out of the 137 mustangs in my car club 36 are 2018/2019 GTs and 18 of them have over 10000 miles and no deceleration rattle. My 2018 took 7000 miles to start rattling. Natural characteristic of the motor should be there from day one. Not take a year to start rattling. So like I said BS

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Haven’t seen any new updates on this issue. But I didn’t post to have someone tell me or you can sell your car. This is my ninth mustang and am well aware on how much goes into the engine. But find it hard to believe that out of the 137 mustangs in my car club 36 are 2018/2019 GTs and 18 of them have over 10000 miles and no deceleration rattle. My 2018 took 7000 miles to start rattling. Natural characteristic of the motor should be there from day one. Not take a year to start rattling. So like I said BS
The day one logic? Ok
Until you know the source of the ailment or even know what the ailment is you have ...how is it an ailment? Didn’t have it at birth.
Ok
9th Mustang to own ...congrats..don’t even go there with that logic.
But you have already diagnosed it’s an internally lubricated part that’s at fault. Interesting
Maybe no new updates ....is the update

5.0Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80
The day one logic? Ok
Until you know the source of the ailment or even know what the ailment is you have ...how is it an ailment? Didn’t have it at birth.
Ok
9th Mustang to own ...congrats..don’t even go there with that logic.
But you have already diagnosed it’s an internally lubricated part that’s at fault. Interesting
Maybe no new updates ....is the update
Don’t we use these forums to help each other out with information to solve problems for each other. Not to throw in smug comments so if you don’t have any helpful information keep to yourself

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t we use these forums to help each other out with information to solve problems for each other. Not to throw in smug comments so if you don’t have any helpful information keep to yourself
Oh the voice of reason ....
Have helpful info on the subject?
Underwear running a lil high?

5.0Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80
Oh the voice of reason ....
Have helpful info on the subject?
Underwear running a lil high?
Won’t be entertaining this conversation anymore it’s clear you shouldn’t be a member of this forum. And you definitely have to much time on your hands.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Won’t be entertaining this conversation anymore it’s clear you shouldn’t be a member of this forum. And you definitely have to much time on your hands.
The forum police have arrived... guilty as you charge
Calling out real whining & bs facts upsets you... I get it
Hate to upset your med regiment.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Quarantine seems to make people edgy, lol.

Most Coyotes are quit, some are not. There's a reason why some make ticking and rattling noises (excessive tolorances - tolorance stack up, etc). If they were all made exactly the same (ie, very tight QA) they would all sound the same. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd like to audit the Coyote manufacture process, it would be interesting to see if there are pitfalls in the process. Manufactured products are only as good as the manufacturing and QA processes follow the engineering design drawings and specifications. A perfect design on paper can become crap if it's not manufactured correctly.

The noisy engines may never "blow up", but they are not really "normal" sounding by most people's standatds. If they were normal they would be quieter like the majority of Coyotes. Ford calls engines that make abnormal noises "normal" as a way to say live with an engine that's noisy but won't blow up within the warranty period.

5.0Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80
Quarantine seems to make people edgy, lol.

Most Coyotes are quit, some are not. There's a reason why some make ticking and rattling noises (excessive tolorances - tolorance stack up, etc). If they were all made exactly the same (ie, very tight QA) they would all sound the same. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd like to audit the Coyote manufacture process, it would be interesting to see if there are pitfalls in the process. Manufactured products are only as good as the manufacturing and QA processes follow the engineering design drawings and specifications. A perfect design on paper can become crap if it's not manufactured correctly.

The noisy engines may never "blow up", but they are not really "normal" sounding by most people's standatds. If they were normal they would be quieter like the majority of Coyotes. Ford calls engines that make abnormal noises "normal" as a way to say live with an engine that's noisy but won't blow up within the warranty period.
Your absolutely right. My 2019 GT has had this deceleration rattle since new. Never had the typewriter tick on any of my Mustangs but did have Ford change my timing chain tensioners due to a chirp that started at 4000 miles but once they replaced them chirp was gone. Gonna keep driving and enjoying it. I went around entire engine and found that if you unplug exhaust bank 2 solenoid the deceleration rattle is completely gone. But obviously you can’t drive with solenoid disconnected. MMR claim to have tensioners that fix the rattle but I’ll wait to see some positive reviews first.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I went around entire engine and found that if you unplug exhaust bank 2 solenoid the deceleration rattle is completely gone. But obviously you can’t drive with solenoid disconnected.
Is that the variable cam timing solenoid? Sounds like the deceleration rattle is definately tied to the cam chains and/or the operation of the cam phasers.

5.0Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80
Is that the variable cam timing solenoid? Sounds like the deceleration rattle is definately tied to the cam chains and/or the operation of the cam phasers.
Yes VCT solenoid
Sponsored