Engine Debate

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Also just to add to this debate (and say how far cars have come), one of my favorite cars growing up was the Ferrari Testarossa, which in its original "super car" form hit 60mph in 5.3s and ran the quarter mile in 13.4s. It also got about 6mpg on average.

The 2013 Mustang V6 (with the Performance Package) hit 60mph in 5.2s and ran the quarter in 13.9s (Car and Driver). This car gets mid 20's in mileage and costs much less in inflation adjusted dollars (plus is much easier to repair).

Obviously all cars have come a long way in the same time, but this year's V6 would hang with GT V8 from only a decade ago and wipe the floor with the GT from two decades ago, at the time a very fast car. Not too shabby!

Chris
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think its preference.
My background is only turbo cars and my last one made 520hp/490tq at the wheels.

I drove a 15 GT with PP and 6 speed and it was nice. But doing a 3rd gear pull left me laughing and thinking "That's it?" I understand the 435hp number is crank HP but it didn't leave me speechless as I was hoping it would. Sure a supercharger would wake it up but that's a pretty hefty price on top of the car.

After driving the 15 EB with 6 speed and non PP I couldn't stop grinning. The low end torque got me thinking about the potential of swapping a turbo, exhaust, intake and tune. Not to mention the 200lb weight advantage that the EB has over the GT.

I ordered the EB immediately after and am happy with my choice. If I was hard on getting a V8 I'd wait and get the GT350, the power plant alone is worth the price premium.

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Besides all of the obvious stuff. Nothing wrong with a V6 or even a 4 in a Mustang. That being said...for me, I want the V8. I love the idea of what the motor is capable of. I don't have to put my foot in it all of the time but when I do....I get what I want in sound and performance. However, I would never look down on someone or make fun of them for not having the 8cyl. I care too much for my car and thus have respect for others cars regardless what they drive. I even take great care to make sure I don't door ding the car next to me in a parking lot regardless if its a 85 Caprice Classic or a Ferrari.

All this being said...nothing wrong with not getting the 8cyl. Just please....don't be that guy that goes and puts 5.0 badges on, fake dual exhaust a fin and racing stripes. "all show and no go" Don't be THAT guy!

Swagthony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
When I was 16 I got my first mustang an 07 v6 I spent 2 years modding it and eventually got it fast enough to beat the local v8s. People would always talk crap about it being a v6 at first though. Now I'm 18 and got a GT finally!

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Besides all of the obvious stuff. Nothing wrong with a V6 or even a 4 in a Mustang. That being said...for me, I want the V8. I love the idea of what the motor is capable of. I don't have to put my foot in it all of the time but when I do....I get what I want in sound and performance. However, I would never look down on someone or make fun of them for not having the 8cyl. I care too much for my car and thus have respect for others cars regardless what they drive. I even take great care to make sure I don't door ding the car next to me in a parking lot regardless if its a 85 Caprice Classic or a Ferrari.

All this being said...nothing wrong with not getting the 8cyl. Just please....don't be that guy that goes and puts 5.0 badges on, fake dual exhaust a fin and racing stripes. "all show and no go" Don't be THAT guy!
I most certainly would NOT be that guy!

I'd be the guy proudly showing off 3.7 badges, and have a car that is properly and tastefully modded with everything to show for it! :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
When I was 16 I got my first mustang an 07 v6 I spent 2 years modding it and eventually got it fast enough to beat the local v8s. People would always talk crap about it being a v6 at first though. Now I'm 18 and got a GT finally!
YOU sir, are very lucky.:clap2:

Boogeyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT w/ PP
To me it's not about what engine they have in their Mustang, it's how are they taking care of the car overall. I have been a V8 guy my whole life and just recently switched to the Ecoboost and I had reservations on doing so. Mainly for power concerns. But I hold nothing against a guy that has a 6 cyl, as long as it's a clean well taken care of car.
This! I have a hell of a lot more respect for the guy who takes great care of his V6 and truely enjoys the car than the jackass hanging out in parking lots talking trash on other peoples cars. The V6 has plenty of power and gets great mileage, and I would bet it can beat any 2010 GT or older around a track.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
1. Prestige
2. Bigger is better
3. Superiority
And for a good chunk (not most or all, mind you) of guys, a vehicle is an extension of their ego. You see it with brotrucks (you don't need an 8 inch lift as an on-road vehicle), imports, German vehicles, high end sports cars, and more. Some guys are jerks in everything in life.

If the motor is good enough for Ford, the creator of the vehicle, it's good enough for me. I'll echo that I admire people that truly have a passion for their vehicle. I've seen v6 pony packs that have been head turners and there's GTs or even GT500s that I wouldn't even give a second look.

texag70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Prem
Agree completely with most replies--buy what YOU want and can afford. I also bought the 5.0 and absolutely love it. But I'm a power guy and have always been. The EB is also a great buy and would get one for my wife if she wanted a Mustang. If possible, you should drive each and have a good idea of what they're actually like and which you like best. Good luck.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Me personally, I'm getting a V8 because I love the power and the sound. However, anyone who wants a Mustang with any other engine / tranny package is still a part of the Mustang family. they still chose to purchase a Mustang instead of another make/model so they are still A-ok in my book.

Sponsored

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
I think its preference.
My background is only turbo cars and my last one made 520hp/490tq at the wheels.

I drove a 15 GT with PP and 6 speed and it was nice. But doing a 3rd gear pull left me laughing and thinking "That's it?" I understand the 435hp number is crank HP but it didn't leave me speechless as I was hoping it would. Sure a supercharger would wake it up but that's a pretty hefty price on top of the car.

After driving the 15 EB with 6 speed and non PP I couldn't stop grinning. The low end torque got me thinking about the potential of swapping a turbo, exhaust, intake and tune. Not to mention the 200lb weight advantage that the EB has over the GT.

I ordered the EB immediately after and am happy with my choice. If I was hard on getting a V8 I'd wait and get the GT350, the power plant alone is worth the price premium.
Anyone who is familiar with 4 cylinder turbo tuner cars will realize that the EcoBoost Mustang is going to be capable of outperforming the naturally aspirated V8 with some modifications. Maybe not in terms of top speed or the quarter mile, but definitely in terms of track performance and low-end acceleration. And hell maybe in terms of top speed too (...but probably not). Once that day comes, people won't look down on the smaller displacement Mustangs as much as they do now. ;) Remember, you can break the tires loose from 0-30 every time you come away from a stop, but you can only hit 167 mph what, a few times a year if that? It's not all about the peak HP numbers in the real world.

All three Mustangs are fast - and more importantly FUN - cars, period, and anyone whose opinion you should care about will realize and appreciate that.

Alloye

Stangoholic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Let's see...
  • V8 vs. V6 vs. I4
  • Auto vs. Manual
  • Base vs. Premium
  • Race Red vs. Triple Yellow
They're all pointless debates because there's no right answer. The whole point is to get the car YOU want. Anyone who calls you a "poser" or "girly man" because you didn't get the same config they did is really just fooling themselves. Owner enthusiasm can't be measured by how many cylinders there are under the hood or how many pedals there are underfoot. And I know this'll be a shock to some, but real manhood has absolutely nothing to do with the car one drives anyway.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Simply put who are you buying the car for? If you are buying a Mustang for your own pleasure then the power plant combo you choose is for you and you alone. I would advise not to spend your $30,000 - $40,000 on a car solely for the acceptance of others. I have seen fast V6s and very cool V6s. I have heavily considered the 2.3 and if I were getting a convertible would probably get it. Buy what YOU want and you'll be happy.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
I'm getting a 5.0 for the weekend and keeping my 14 v6 as it sounds like a 8, runs like a 8 and out handles an 8. plus the 5.0 will be my gasket and long term hot rod

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Choice was pretty easy for me. I love the V6 in my 2011, but there's no Premium trim offered with the V6, and I couldn't do without the Premium trim, so that was out. The 2.3T was out since I refuse to get a forced-induction engine -- my days of driving unreliable cars are over, and I just don't see a turbocharged engine lasting 500,000-750,000 miles without a rebuild the way a naturally aspirated engine would. So it was a GT or nothing.
Sponsored