Engine Debate

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I don't know, that's just how I grew up I suppose. If it didn't look right in anyone else's eyes, it must be wrong. I've tried to stray away from that idea, doesn't always work.

I know that there's a BIG difference between a flat-6 and a V6, we've got both kinds at my house haha. I just love the way a 6-cylinder sounds, regardless of engine configuration.

:ford:
Personally I think anyone who scoffs at someone else's taste in cars has issues of their own. I am buying a 2015 GT Premium Convertible to replace my 2005 gt Premium Convertible. I love the roar and feel of a V8 in the mustang. I test drove both the V6 and EB and they aren't slouches either, I just prefer the V8. Get the one YOU want to drive. Who cares what anyone else says or thinks... I mean unless they are going to pay for it :shrug:
Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
I test drove both the GT and V6. I ended up buying the V6 since it was already more than enough for me. Nobody has ragged on me ... yet. Doesn't matter to me, though. I love the car, and I'm not driving it to satisfy anyone else's opinion of what a mustang should be.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Personally I think anyone who scoffs at someone else's taste in cars has issues of their own. I am buying a 2015 GT Premium Convertible to replace my 2005 gt Premium Convertible. I love the roar and feel of a V8 in the mustang. I test drove both the V6 and EB and they aren't slouches either, I just prefer the V8. Get the one YOU want to drive. Who cares what anyone else says or thinks... I mean unless they are going to pay for it :shrug:
This was going to be my post almost exactly, I personally buy a car to suit me and my family. I prefer the V8, have the finances, and only buy a car once every 10+ years for my use, and my wife is on board, so I should get what I want. Am I an enthusiast? Not in the same sentence as everyone else here that is, I do and have always loved Mustangs from my Dad's '66 when I was a kid to the new ones. I do not race or street race, but want a V8 because that is my preference. Not interested in one-upping anyone else and I will not feel cheated if next year or the year after there is a minor or major power or style bump. I will also not look "down" on someone else for choosing a V6 or Ecoboost, what someone else buys is their business and not mine.

So I would agree, if you want the V6, you like the options, color, style and driving sound and feel, buy it and feel great about it!

Best Regards,

Chris

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
But if you see a GT, will you immediately think it's an enthusiasts, because top tier performance car? Not all GT drivers, or at least from my experience, are enthusiasts.

Sorry if I'm being too speculative.
Certainly not. And that shouldn't be the only criteria, of course. But more often than not, if a person sprang for the V8, then they care about the performance of the car. Ditto if they got the performance/Brembo kit.

Sponsored

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
i hate this debate. I am one of the "Elite 5.0 enthusiast" crowd, i suppose. but, i swear, anyone who takes a dump on anyone else's choice of purchase does not deserve my time. "you bought a V6, its just a grocery getter"

get over yourselves if you are going to tell someone that. really, what gives anyone the right to look down their noses at anyone else in the mustang community. if you are going to be that way, go buy an import and put a fart can on it, at least this way, you don't make the rest of us look like complete idiots and people will understand why you are a dunce!

sorry. I put up with this BS for a lot of years while i was loving my V6.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
To me it's not about what engine they have in their Mustang, it's how are they taking care of the car overall. I have been a V8 guy my whole life and just recently switched to the Ecoboost and I had reservations on doing so. Mainly for power concerns. But I hold nothing against a guy that has a 6 cyl, as long as it's a clean well taken care of car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
<snip>
Why? What's the big deal with this? Why does it happen? Is a V6 not good enough? Does it make it inferior? Personally, I like 6 cylinder cars, 911s, BMWs, I've been around those cars my entire life. I love the way they sound, and sound is a very important characteristic of how I enjoy my driving. As such, I wouldn't mind a V6, in fact I'd love to have one, but then I'd have to worry about other car people and even Mustang owners that'd say you bought the wrong car. Is it just stereotypes or is it something more? Maybe just preference? But even so, why the negative stigmas?
A lot of the prejudice against sixxers is a hold-over from the 1960's and 1970's when U.S. domestic sixes truly were low performance motors better suited for use in farmers' pickup trucks, housewives' sedans, and family station wagons. Low performance plus generally not easily modified for big power increases.

You can't make that deep bass exhaust rumble when all you've got is 6 cylinders, and that's become part of the perception of what a performance car needs to have (at least in North America). Can't do that with an X-pipe V8 either, and a lot of people hate on the X for exactly that reason.

If newer V6s are making more power and maybe more torque than V8s from the last decade or so stock for stock, are the V8s still superior?
In terms of output, yes . . . by over 130 HP and something like 130 ft-lbs of torque.

The 2015 V6 makes as much power as my 4.6L 3-valve was advertised to make, but it's down a good bit on torque, 35 ft-lbs or so. And the 2015 even in V6 trim is almost certainly a little heavier than my 2008 GT. It'll be interesting to see what happens when somebody brings a 2015 sixxer to a track day.

Now, with the EB, I bet it's a great motor and I hope it does well, even if it's taking the Mustang into a future I simply cannot embrace; that and having been through three 4-cylinder cars(I'm on my second and third right now), I'd want something different.
Can you be more specific?

Does having anything less than a V8 make a Mustang, not a Mustang?
Seems to depend more on the individual buyer than anything.

Norm

jedirocker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
visualuniverse.org
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
As previously mentioned, it shouldn't matter what others think. I see plenty of members of the male species driving V6 Mustangs. I don't deem it a masculinity thing.

Tracking may not be relevant to you, but am gonna say the following for those who plan to track a S550 Mustang...

I expect to see Mustangs equipped with the highly tune-able EcoBoost engine when I go to the track. There's a certain amount of satisfaction with driving a smaller-engined (thus, lighter) car on the track and managing to stay on the tales of V8 cars. My previous car, which I tracked, had a forced-induction V6...and it was a sedan. Nothing gave me more joy than riding on the bumper of a C6 Corvette with the driver staring at me in his side mirror, stunned he couldn't lose me, and passing a C7 Corvette.

One of the best track drivers I ever observed drove a V6 Mustang from around 2005/2006. He could come out of turns faster than anyone else in his group...a V6, live axle, Mustang passing M3s, Vettes, etc... It was a sight to behold.

I'm looking fwd to tracking my 2015 5.0, but I won't be surprised if I get passed by 6G EcoBoost Mustangs.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
First of all this is just a dumb place to post this question, not to even mention that this is the internet and all u will get is a whole lot of big guy talk

My 0.02 is there are a lot of wannabe tough guys rolling in thier 5.0 who really can't afford it on a reasonable budget. There are a lot of ppl like me buying EBs who could get a GT if they wanted but find more value in the added premium features/lower costs. Obviously if you plan to race with it or if money is not an issue a 5.0 is what you should get

Sponsored

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
If you're buying a car based on how other people will view your purchase, you're not buying a car for you. It doesn't matter what a single person thinks other than you. If the V6 meets all of your wants/needs/desires then that's all you need. If you want/need the added performance the V8 gives, then go for that. If you want the ecoboost the most, why consider either of the others.
I agree with this 100%. Why would you care what anyone else thinks about your car? Did they help you buy it?

Almost 9 years ago, I bought a 2006 V6 Premium Mustang. At that time, it met my needs. I loved the body style and color, it got surprisingly good gas mileage, and it had plenty of power for my needs.

Some of my friends ribbed me a little for not buying the GT. My response was "What do I get for that $5,000 premium?"
  • Higher insurance rates
  • Worse gas mileage
  • The ability to get more quickly to speeds I can't legally drive

So I got a personalized license plate - QWKYNUF

Today, my situation is different - I drive less for for work, though still a lot (20k/year vs 40k/year), so the gas mileage is less of a thing. I no longer have 3 teenage licensed drivers in the house, plus I am 49 years old now, so the difference in insurance cost is negligible. I keep my cars for a long time, so I can justify splurging a little, and I make quite a bit more money than I did back then.

So this time around it was the GT for me. And it will still be QWKYNUF

Shark77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MS3
Here's my view on the subject:

There is a significant portion of buyers that buy the car for the performance/$ ratio. Many aren't first and foremost buying the Mustang because its a Mustang, they're buying it because it ticks off the performance box in a price range that they like. All the other stuff comes second.

That's not to say looks, ergonomics, heritage, etc. aren't important, but they aren't as big of deal breakers as the performance/$ is for a good segment of the market that buys the Mustang.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
A lot of the prejudice against sixxers is a hold-over from the 1960's and 1970's when U.S. domestic sixes truly were low performance motors better suited for use in farmers' pickup trucks, housewives' sedans, and family station wagons. Low performance plus generally not easily modified for big power increases.

You can't make that deep bass exhaust rumble when all you've got is 6 cylinders, and that's become part of the perception of what a performance car needs to have (at least in North America). Can't do that with an X-pipe V8 either, and a lot of people hate on the X for exactly that reason.
I see. It's great that I'm learning this now, as I never knew this before I began questioning V8s vs V6s.

In terms of output, yes . . . by over 130 HP and something like 130 ft-lbs of torque.

The 2015 V6 makes as much power as my 4.6L 3-valve was advertised to make, but it's down a good bit on torque, 35 ft-lbs or so. And the 2015 even in V6 trim is almost certainly a little heavier than my 2008 GT. It'll be interesting to see what happens when somebody brings a 2015 sixxer to a track day.
Torque is always fun, I love torque and weight savings. One day, I want to be THAT person that takes a sixxer to a track day or autoX. :D

Can you be more specific?
I'm 19, and since I've started driving, I've been through three cars, but still have my current two. My first car was an '08 Saturn Astra, my second and current DD is a Focus ST, and my third and project car is a 944. I've driven nothing but 4-cylinder cars, and when I said something different, I mean something with more cylinders and more displacement: V6, V8, Flat-6, Inline-6, ect.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I test drove both the GT and V6. I ended up buying the V6 since it was already more than enough for me. Nobody has ragged on me ... yet. Doesn't matter to me, though. I love the car, and I'm not driving it to satisfy anyone else's opinion of what a mustang should be.
That is because you are such a wuss...

Ha ha, just kidding of course, glad you got what you are satisfied with :) The V6 is an outstanding car!

Ecobeast

GT owner now.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford mustang GT
I liken it to two beautiful women. One has 36" breasts and the other has 32" breasts. Either way their still beautiful, you can still make love to them, and as long as she makes you happy who the hell cares what others think.
Sponsored